All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:37 am

Post subject: Re: Where od you stand on WYSIWYG?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:36 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Valamir wrote:
True, but in my experience, when Isengard flattens Gondor it is because the normal uruks are doing their job, while the heroes keep Boromir from doing his.

Agreed.

Nazghul + Morannon orcs are even worse thou.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@The Horde Lord- They can be- it depends on how the controlling player does with them. I prefer uruks simply because the F4 results in you winning draws, while two or three heavy armored, shielded uruks are usually enough to keep Boromir in place for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Good point Valamir.

Ok, here is another hypotetical WYSIWYG issue. Is it OK to use a Nazghul as another Nazghul? I mean, people can't be expected to buy 8 regular, 9 named and some extra Witch Kings and a fell beast. On the other hand it's nice to have these economic bouderies (can't believe I wrote that), so you have prioritize.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

In the case of expensive models, like Nazgul, where you just want to do a 1-for-1 swap, then I personally have no problem with it, providing that I know I'm shooting at Khamul and not the Shadow Lord. But then I tend to be pretty lenient, particularly with those who have a smaller collection than I. Unless, of course, you are trying to use one army to pose as another. That is a no-no. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, I guess I'd be fine with the Nazghul swap. But if you dare use named nazghul + unnamed nazghul on me, then I'll get kind of mad. Gotta stay with the fluff.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:06 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Do you mean you don't like of your opponant has one named Ringwraith and one Generic one?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Not at all, merely that if you are going to make use of two unnamed Nazgul (particularly on Fellbeast) to be the Shadow Lord and Random Nazgul with no distinguishing characteristics, then one might have issues.

@Gothmog- otherwise, I personally like to play with the unnamed boys (mostly) and will use the actual named models to represent who they are supposed to be (or use just one unnamed or whatever happens to work in a given situation).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i think that WYSIWYG is ok, but , especially with newer players who have less models, it can sometimes be a bit difficult to have exactly what you want, so i think you shold be a bit lenient.

also, i would rather see someone play using a painted, unbroken figure as a slightly different model than someone play with something that is broken or is still waiting to be painted, i think it makes the game look a lot better.

butreally, unless you are in a proper tournemant, be a bit flexible and have a good time
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I use scratch-built high elf knights with double swords as galadhrim knights. GW forgot to bring out High elf knights sadly, so I thought giving them 2 handweapons would be the best option. the extra defence of the shields is represented by better armour, while shielding is represented by an extra blade to use. What do you think of this models in WYSIWYG(by the way I'm talking about SBG)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ooh, sounds nice. I'd be most interested in seeing pictures. Does the second hand weapon give them an extra attack or is there any benefit to it at all?

Otherwise I think it sounds fine, though I personally would use the shield.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Valamir wrote:
Ooh, sounds nice. I'd be most interested in seeing pictures. Does the second hand weapon give them an extra attack or is there any benefit to it at all?

Otherwise I think it sounds fine, though I personally would use the shield.

From what he wrote its got the exactly the same rules as the Galadhrim knights..

I don't understand why you would prefer the shield though if its exactly the same rules(so it counts as if he had a shield anyway). The only reason you would want a shield over the other hand weapon is for looks.. and well you haven't even seen the models yet so how do you know which looks better?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't use shields because it they would have only defence 5, while they look like having heavy armour and a shield.and no, they don't have houserules in my games, so the word count as only being used to block attacks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Since they are not actually being houseruled to D6 (which is why I would take the shield on a high-elf) then I completely understand the choice of representation. Do you have pictures?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Valamir wrote:
Since they are not actually being houseruled to D6 (which is why I would take the shield on a high-elf) then I completely understand the choice of representation. Do you have pictures?

I'm redoing the horses, and when they are finished you'll see the command in the painting challenge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I look forward to seeing them!