All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:26 am

Post subject: Gondor Tactics vs. Urukhai and Goblins
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:09 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So today I started the campaign that I mentioned in one of my other posts, fighting one battle vs. moria goblins and one vs. Isengard. Isengard went surprisingly well, coming to a draw but with my valiant men of Gondor winning more points towards the campaign. On the other hand, the battle vs. goblins was very bad.

It was a scenario from an old WD in which I was to hold a hedge while rolling 2d6s every turn. Once those roles added up to 30, I could retreat my forces off of the board. Problem was, I had half as many points as the opponent and to win I had to get my hero and 5 other units off of the board then roll 4s, 5s, or 6s for each of them (representing them fleeing the horde of goblins).

With the opposing drums and hordes of goblins, I was over run and not able to win barely any combats, let alone wound! :sad: :sad: :sad:

What is a beginner general of gondor to do against such evil devices?

Post subject: Re: Gondor Tactics vs. Urukhai and Goblins
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Did you use the proper rules for defending a barrier? How many men did you have? And how long was the hedge?

EDIT: Seeing as how luck based your goblin scenraio was, you could've ust been unlucky.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

We did use the correct rules for defending a barrier, but he was able to swarm over the sides and flank me because of the rule about goblins just climbing over obstacles without checks. The hedge went 48" across the board, but because of what I just mentioned that didn't matter. I do think that my luck was not great, but I am still doubtful about beating those goblins when i face them again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, Gondor shouldn't really have a problem with Goblins, but here are some pointers that could help.

1. Always shoot the guys without shield (duh).
2. In genereal, you will have the power to dictate who charges who, since you can move further than them.
3. Attack their heroes with your heroes, they will die.
4. Move your archers onto the flanks so you can charge him in the side, or at least preventing them from outflanking you.
5. Shoot any drummers, Bat Swarms and Cave Trolls.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

When fighting Goblins, their major advantage is to overrun you. Now, as Gondor, forming a shield wall and holding it long enough may be the key to victory- more or less you need to make the line and hold the line until you have weathered the goblin rush and reduced the numbers- don't be intimidated by the fact that they outnumber you, but make sure you are dictating the combats, not them.