All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:08 am

Post subject: Dragon Upgrades/Options
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:52 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I recently purchased the dragon and I'd like to hear from people who already used it how it performs on the battlefield. What tactics to use and which upgrades are the most useful? Should I take only one option or two? Is 'Breathe Fire' as good as it looks on the paper? How to counter the 'Survival Instinct'?
 Post subject: Re: Dragon Upgrades/Options
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Breathe Fire does indeed look good on paper, but I don't like it; I'd rather save the Will to pass those Courage tests.

The best ability is Fly, as it allows you to use the Dragon most effectively. A flying Dragon can get into combat quicker, escape from danger easier, avoid obstacles, and has a greater selection of targets. Always get this ability.

Wrymtongue (I think that's what it's called) is another that looks good on paper, but in reality a Dragon is more than capable of dealing with the vast majority of threats posed by enemy Heroes. It doesn't need any more help.

Tough Hide is nice, as it makes your Dragon more survivable. However, with seven Wounds a Dragon is already pretty tough. I'd save the points for something else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The one time I used the dragon I gave the Breath Fire upgrade and Tough Hide, he was difficult to kill but I had way to few soldiers to back him up.
And once I used all my will to breath fire he was gone pretty fast, because of the survival instinct.

Most of the people who used a dragon use Fly and Tough Hide as far as I know (the people who I've played against).
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

In this case I think I'll just use a budget Dragon of 300 points with flying using the extra 50 points to bring more Goblins into the fight and spending the Will to stop him from running away. Thanks for the advice.

Also- had any of you been surprised by how small he is? I mean the cave troll could strangle this guy!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yeah, they had to fit it on the base and make it playable. Maybe they're saving the mumak-sized dragon model for Smaug.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ChickenSlayer wrote:
Also- had any of you been surprised by how small he is? I mean the cave troll could strangle this guy!

It's not as bad as the Cave Drake, which is meant to be able to swallow people whole..! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

General Elessar wrote:
Tough Hide is nice, as it makes your Dragon more survivable. However, with seven Wounds a Dragon is already pretty tough. I'd save the points for something else.

I think the benefit of Tough Hide is not so much the extra wounds, but rather the defensive increase*. Being by 2, it reduces the chance of every wound and the annoying Survival Instinct and does a lot to protect against Elven archery. Still, a lot of points and equivalent Goblins may be better but it can be quite useful at times.

*Having not checked the warbands book, I'm not sure if rules have changed.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You're right about the defence bonus- TH does add extra two points.