All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:10 am

Post subject: Field Tactics and Formation
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I want to be honest- I have pretty basic formation when I play. I play a 700pt army for Moria that is more or less a phalanx, with some guys on the side. I've heard people say this is bad, but for my first few matches I won- we are all new players in my group. However as soon as my enemy got the idea to use cavalry wisely, I was absolutely crushed.

So I'd like to see what sort of formations and movements work well for all of you- not just for Moria but for any army. Does a Concave shape work best for limiting the number of attacking enemies? Does perhaps a pincer formation work best. What formations and tactics work best for you guys for your armies. Thanks
 Post subject: Re: Field Tactics and Formation
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I play Rohan, and my current tactic is to lead with Grimbold and his helmingas with my cav running harrassment. a 12" feint at the right time with works wonders and when you can slow your pace to 6" and let fly some arrows while your opponants archers are playing keep up you can demoralize them quickly. Another little mean trick I like to use is equipping a large amount of throwing spears on my foot soldiers and moving 7" away from my opponants front line. They have 2 choices, run forward and take throwing spears or hold their ground. Lets say they hold their ground, then they win priority, they either have to charge me and let me throw spears on my turn, or they hold ground again and I get to throw spears anyways.

Have you tried any spiders with your moria army? I find they are a decent anti-cav unit
 Post subject: Re: Field Tactics and Formation
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Formation wise, for SBG there are really only two: Shieldwalls and skirmish.

Shieldwalls: Put your shield warriors up front, spearmen behind and slog it out. Use faster troops to get around the back to take away the support to the opponents shieldmen and do all you can to increase your odds of winning (banner/shade/pulling supports etc.)

Skirmish: This is used by pretty much only pure Dwarves and Rohan. It involves getting stuck in and picking fights that are favorable. You should be intending to disrupt the opponents lines. e.g. send a shield warrior into two of theirs and two of yours onto one of theirs. It's tricky to pull off but does work. This type of play style is greatly enhanced by large numbers of throwing weapons. Woodelves can pull this style of particularly well.