All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:46 am

Post subject: How to playIsengard?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Title says it all really. Coming from WOTR I want to get into SBG. Problem is, my brother and sister both take Treebeard in their armies. And whatever happens, I don't seem able to kill him. At all. Even a full Uruk Phalanx supported by Lurtz and 4 scouts didn't manage it. And on the other flank I had trouble killing off hobbits with a troll. So, how to use Isengard effectively? (not just against Treebeard, just in all cases)

:puppy:
 Post subject: Re: How to playIsengard?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Against treebeard I think some crossbows would do good damage. and for general purpose I think some feral ureks or beserkers backed up by orcs would be good (apart from your normal urek/orc shield wall)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Alright, some generic stuff on using Isengard, followed by specific instances of use.

First, use the Phalanx against three things- things that you will grind into the ground (Warriors of MT)- basically anything that you have a higher fight value against, or more attacks, and use it against cavalry. Do not use it against large models- it is a waste of bodies and a very bad formation for taking down the enemy monster.

Personally, I always use Saruman- use like any magic user. As for heroics, I would also use Mahur- the one uruk other than Shagrat with three attacks. If you do go with Mahur, upgrade all your scouts- they defend the flanks of a phalanx and make excellent skirmishers.

If you can, use crossbowmen as your primary (or only) archers. Berzerkers are, in my opinion, overrated, but they can be highly intimidating against anyone who hasn't fought them before. They are great in WoTR, but not skirmish. However, feral uruk-hai are very nice.

As for general tactics, use your troops supported by Saruman to smash the enemy troops- the idea is to acquire a numerical advantage. Use D7 captains to hold off their heavy-hitting heroes until you acquire that numerical advantage. Then swamp them with models while they are immobilized. That is the use of Saruman and the horde, and how you take down Treebeard.

I personally do not use the troll, but that is a personal preference. If you use the troll, it is not quite like in WoTR- use the troll to take down expensive models (back him up with Saruman) or use him for captain hunting. Or have him be the hammer that you use to hit the enemy against your phalanx of an anvil.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Valamir wrote:
Alright, some generic stuff on using Isengard, followed by specific instances of use.

First, use the Phalanx against three things- things that you will grind into the ground (Warriors of MT)- basically anything that you have a higher fight value against, or more attacks, and use it against cavalry. Do not use it against large models- it is a waste of bodies and a very bad formation for taking down the enemy monster.

Personally, I always use Saruman- use like any magic user. As for heroics, I would also use Mahur- the one uruk other than Shagrat with three attacks. If you do go with Mahur, upgrade all your scouts- they defend the flanks of a phalanx and make excellent skirmishers.

If you can, use crossbowmen as your primary (or only) archers. Berzerkers are, in my opinion, overrated, but they can be highly intimidating against anyone who hasn't fought them before. They are great in WoTR, but not skirmish. However, feral uruk-hai are very nice.

As for general tactics, use your troops supported by Saruman to smash the enemy troops- the idea is to acquire a numerical advantage. Use D7 captains to hold off their heavy-hitting heroes until you acquire that numerical advantage. Then swamp them with models while they are immobilized. That is the use of Saruman and the horde, and how you take down Treebeard.

I personally do not use the troll, but that is a personal preference. If you use the troll, it is not quite like in WoTR- use the troll to take down expensive models (back him up with Saruman) or use him for captain hunting. Or have him be the hammer that you use to hit the enemy against your phalanx of an anvil.

I should have been more specific, this is a Cave Troll. Does the same apply?

Thanks for the other tips, I hope I can get to try them out soon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Regarding the troll- basically- just don't leave it without support (in the sense of bodies). Not having the extra defense, don't let it go up against S4 things too often. And whatever you do, don't let Glorfindel or a hero of his caliber catch it, or you will have one dead cave troll. Not that I'm saying don't fight such heroes- just fight them on your terms, not your enemy's.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:05 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Another question, are there Ferals with 2HW? Since for my WOTR army I converted them up as Uruk scouts with two-handed axes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm pretty sure that ferals only come with hand weapons and cannot have 2H weapons.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yep, Ferals have no weapon options...with 2H they'd basically be Berzerkers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

With a D5. Not a better Berzerker in mine own opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
Yep, Ferals have no weapon options...with 2H they'd basically be Berzerkers

Blast.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They also have less courage. By quite a bit.