All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:02 am

Post subject: How to Destroy Ringwraiths/Nazgul with Elves?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:20 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hello everyone

I was just wondering if anyone could give me strategies on how to destroy the witchking or the dark marshal with High Elves and Galadhrim Elves in SBG. The heroes I have at my disposal are:

Elrond
Glorfindel (armour of gondolin)
Elladan and Elrohir on foot (armoured)
Celeborn (armoured)
Galadriel (normal and protectress of lorien)
Haldir (armoured)
Legolas

and for warriors i have:

36 High Elves, 12 spear/shield, 12 elven blade, 12 elven bow.
24 Haldir's Elves (Galadhrim) 16 elven blade, 8 bow.
both have banners.

if anyone could give me some advice on how to annihilate his Nazgul with the miniatures i've listed that would be great :twisted: , the problem is that my brother keeps transfixing, sap will my heroes and his troll chieftan would finish off them off.

Sorry before I posted this in the wrong section.
 Post subject: Re: How to Destroy Ringwraiths/Nazgul with Elves?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

1: Shoot them - they only have 1 wound so you may get lucky. If they are mounted you will reduce their movement if you shoot the horse out from under them.
2: If you have priority, engage them in combat so they can't cast AND lose a will. If you don't have priority call a heroic move so that you can do the same.
If none of that is working, keep out of their way and focus on the scenario (which should be your focus anyway!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I always try to shoot them but he hides them behind a wall of orcs and to reach them I have to hack through most of the horde.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would suggest getting Thranduil, especially against fell beasts. Knock them without they get the chance to resist and the steed runs away... :twisted:
Not sure what to do against the tactic you wrote here. Legolas autohitting and then with three Might, he should be able to wound (but then there's Fate...) or maybe a few Galadhrim Knights to run around the orcs and then charge him.
Hope this is to any help
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sounds good but his strategy is sapwill, wait a turn, transfix, troll chieftan charges and then I wave good bye to glorfindel or any other hero he charges. His Nazgul are all on foot.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:01 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think shooting would be difficult, what with the in-the-ways and the D8 on arrival, and then Fate to save. It's just too iffy.

This sounds like a tactical problem around warrior placement. Why is Glorfindel available for the troll to charge? There should be a warrior or two holding off the troll while Glorfindel kicks sand in orc faces. If you can put Glorfindel on a horse, he can stay out of the wraith's range more easily and wreak havoc elsewhere.

If your warriors are suffering from the Courage drop due to the wraith, a horn blower could be handy, or buy Gil-Galad to upgrade your warriors to King's Guard, or pick up some Lothlorien Guards...these are my favourite as their pikes are very useful.

If you want to fight fire with fire, Galadriel or a Wizard should do the trick. Radagast could unseat the wraith, or keep spending that one free Will to Immobilize...if the wraith is threatened he'll want to spend Will to save, which means less attention on your other heroes.

Your warriors could use considerable tweaking. The main problem is those 28 blades...almost useless and it doesn't look like you're getting any spear support in the right places. You're probably having to go 1:1 or 1:2 against the enemy warriors, and that will take its toll because you won't have any warriors to act as screens or monster-delay, etc. A front line needs spear support, and those high elves with spear/shield are the front line *and* they aren't supporting anyone. The Haldir's Elves with blades are the worst elf gear setup IMHO: they might as well have no armour against evil shooting; they might as well have no armour against all those evil S4 warriors; the number of times you'd use a blade 2H is pretty low especially when you're outnumbered. GW should be ashamed for putting out such poorly designed army packages.

So I'd strongly suggest revamping your troops and concentrate on getting some spears in there. A box of plastic Galadhrim and/or a box of wood elves would help a lot. The Galadhrim spear/shield combo is optimal, and the wood elves have the added bonuses of using their spears as shields, and they can take throwing daggers. If you want to beef up your high elves, give your bows some spears. Unfortunately, anything else, such as adding high elves with hand-weapon + shield (dropping the spear) to use as the front line (with the spear/shield supporting), requires a lot of converting. Though if you friend is okay with it, you could proxy some Galadhrim with hand-weapon + shield as the high elf front line...much easier to convert.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Don't take expensive heroes, go for numbers to reduce the effect of his Wraiths, just charge them with elves and reduce their will, the elven blades will kill them off easy enough.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ideed, i think that elves are quite a good match for wraiths; high shoot value, high courage, equal fight and high defence
if you try to charge them every turn they will run out of will nice and quickly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LEGOLAS!!!

One-shot the wraith. Might the dice up to a required to wound.

Rinse and repeat.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

How many points are you playing? What does his army typically look like?

Nazgul on foot are going to be able to lurk about behind the line tossing spells. One option is to deny them good targets by bulking up on bodies instead of big heroes. Another option is to take attacks that can reach people behind the lines, Sorcerous Blast or Legolas' automatic hit for example. A big hero on horseback can also get back there if he uses a Heroic Move and/or Combat at the right time.

To protect a big hero (Glorfindel on Horseback for example), you'll need to keep him more than 12" away from the Wraith. If he rides in 10", kills an Orc in heroic combat and rides another 10" he can go a long way (and charge a wraith) without ever being exposed to magic. Be sure to do it in a turn where you don't have priority so that his other wraiths can't move after Glorfindel closes and transfix him. A charging Glorfindel would have 8 chances to wound a wraith on foot, that will often be enough to kill a wraith fate or no fate.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:26 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok, we usually play from 500 to 1500 points, here is my army:

Warband 1:
Glorfindel w/ armour of gondolin
4x High Elves w/ spear shield
4x High Elves w/ elven bows
4x High Elves w/ elven blades

Warband 2:
Elrond
4x High Elves w/ elven blades

Warband 3:
Elladan & Elrohir w/ armour
3x High Elves w/ elven blades
High Elf Banner Bearer

Warband 4:
Celeborn w/ armour, shield, elven blade
8x Haldir's Elves w/ elven blades

Warband 5:
Galadriel protectress of lorien
8x Haldir's Elves w/ elven blades
Haldir's Elf Banner Bearer

Warband 6:
Haldir w/ armour, elven blade
8x Haldir's Elves w/ elven bows

1480 points

Glorfindel and the other heroes are usually are behind the ranks of elves for protection but his troll keeps clearing out lines of warriors to get to them.
A lot of his orcs are shot dead by the 20 archers and the haldir's elves are usually in the front line and take out quite a few orcs before they are gone. The high elves support and replace the gaps in the line when a warrior is killed.

He plays Mordor and has a troll chieftan, 12x mordor uruks, 12x black numenoreans, alot of orcs, the witchking, gothmog, the darkmarshal, a few orc captains, banners, etc... :roll:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:36 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

After seeing that, I'll second hithero's suggestion about less expensive heroes. Elrond costs the same as a whole war band led by a normal captain. With spear support, Rumil is better than Glorfindel at winning fights. In 500 points, I wouldn't take any single hero more expensive than Legolas. In 1000 you can probably field 1 mega hero. In 1500, maybe two.

A great cheap hero is a stormcaller. Either the high elf one (to renew Elrond), or the Galadhrim one to add another orc-bowler to your mix. Since you're allying Lothlorien and Rivendell, Gildor could come in handy by upgrading some wood elves. Also, don't overlook Erestor, his knives are very effective.

Either that or go all-hero White Council and see what happens :)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:17 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just keep legolas happy, as he can demolish a ringwraith very early on with his auto-shot. Keep a high elf stromcaller nearby to restore his will, and Elrond to heal him. Although if you have a problemm with wraiths then trying to squeeze in one of the three wizards to drain their will with constant spells is a good bet, preferably Saruman as he has an 18" spell range and can start draining wraiths' will before they get in range for their spells. If you DO take a wizard, make sure to mount it so it can escape the wraith's clutches.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

If you take up a wizard, the dark marshal will sap your will then the witch king will break your staff rendering the wizard useless (no will) The Legolas lucky shot might work, might not.

The only effective way to kill a ringwraith is to keep charging it, it depletes their will, stops them from casting spells and you can also slay them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:13 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Force them to cast spells or use up Will points which will eventually defeat them. I agree with using numbers against them and wearing them down.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Pathfinder Captain wrote:
Force them to cast spells or use up Will points which will eventually defeat them. I agree with using numbers against them and wearing them down.

Correct. Wizards are too expensive to negate a ringwraiths effects (150-225pts :-X ) keeping in mind that sap will/your staff is broken can stop a wizard in its tracks. The best way to take down a nazgul (me being a nazgul user) is to get cheap heroes such as the twins, erestor, rumil, haldir even legolas and thanduil. They have a better m/w/f for points ratio than bigger heroes such as elrond, glorfindel and gilgilad so you can keep calling the heroic moves to keep those wraiths charged and it also increases your numbers. These cheap heroes all have like 6 courage and 6 fight which is a great bonus.