All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:11 am

Post subject: Which dwarvish units to take?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As I'm sick of powerplay armies stealing my trophies, as I usualy play underpowered fluuf lists, I now want a dwarven list that is at least normal to OP. So, I had a few ideas:
1. As we usualy play with lots of rocky outcrops, bottleneck deployed Vault Wardens could work out great
2. Of course, we're talking about Dwarvish powerplay, and where else should we search it other than beginning with Balin and a King's Champion?
3. I kinda like the idea I came up with of getting Oin, Floi and Malbeth converted and sculpted as dwarves featuring the 3 Loremasters.
4. I'd like to get as few warrior dwarves, except for spears or bows, as possible
5. What do you think of Grimhammers?
So, It'd be grateful if coul could answer my questions and comment on the ideas I have listed above.

Yours sincerely,

Rowan

Post subject: Re: Which dwarvish units to take?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Here's the list i am thinking of running next time i play:

Warband 1:
Thorin (with everything but pony and bow)+12 erebor dwarves (6 spear, 6 shield)

Warband 2
Dwalin+12 erebor dwarves (6 spear, 6 shield)

Warband 3
Balin+11 erebor dwarves (6 spear, 5 shield)

Warband 4:
Oin
Bombur
Ori
Bofur

750pts
The list seems solid to me, every warband has it's own phalanx, two of them have beatsticks, and the fourth one acts as just a support group for the rest of the heroes to keep 'em in order.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Here's the list i am thinking of running next time i play:

Warband 1:
Thorin (with everything but pony and bow)+12 erebor dwarves (6 spear, 6 shield)

Warband 2
Dwalin+12 erebor dwarves (6 spear, 6 shield)

Warband 3
Balin+11 erebor dwarves (6 spear, 5 shield)

Warband 4:
Oin
Bombur
Ori
Bofur

750pts
The list seems solid to me, every warband has it's own phalanx, two of them have beatsticks, and the fourth one acts as just a support group for the rest of the heroes to keep 'em in order.

Hmmmm seems pretty good, although I'm not that fond of ordinary dwarf warriors. Balin, Dwalin and Thorin are very good indeed with the new rules. But, do you or anyone else have any answers on the questions listed above? Thanks for the list btw 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sorry, for dodging your points, i'll do my best now:

If your going to go for as few troops as possible then you'll either need a bucket of support models (like malbeth) to keep your battle-line alive or just high quality troops, which lets be honest, dwarves are. If i were you i'd actually give Thorins company a go, try playing the demo scenarios in the little booklet that split the company up into smaller groups, if you like one of the groups try incorporating it into a list.

About Vault Wardens, i personally am not fan, especially now that dwarf warriors can take spears. I really like Durin, but no-one ever uses him, with the right support (radagast, malbeth, or maybe even oin) he can clear up. I also think that Thorin is pretty important, seeing as how he ignores the great goblins unlimited fate.

Grim hammers, i dunno, i'd prefer iron guards, now that axes can boost a models strength more attacks is probably more important, but taking iron guards means taking a non-hobbit dwarf list...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:02 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi mate,

First of all what is the point cost you will be playing at? Creating an army list is irrelevant without first knowing the points-limits.
Secondly what are the scenarios that will be played? Dwarves are sturdy and extremely reliable warriors but in certain scenarios their lack of speed can be their downfall if you don't adapt your tactics.

If you eschew Dwarf Warriors, (who although are elite) then Khazad Guard is a must.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I used to play dwarfs at 800pts

Rough list (can't remember precisely)

Kings Champion, Floi, Dain, Balin

Then fill up with 11 bows, 11 kazad, 14 iron and a couple of vault wardens
The rest is dwarf shield

Now dwarf armies can take spear I'd be inclined to give a few bow dwarfs spear
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:08 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm playing 700 points on tables that are usualy filled with rocky outcrops giving 5 VW teams the possibility of forming a line across a quarter of the field. Also we've got many hard to enter ruins, so that gives my archers a good chance. We usualy don't play recconaitre or Seize the Prize, so most games'll be Contest of Champions(in which the King's Champion would not be my last choice), Hold Ground, King of the Hill and To the Death. So Khazad Guards, some VWs to make a good defensive line, Floi against rules like Circlet of Kings and Jealous Leader, King's Champion against the big boyz and some Iron Guards for the punch seem nice. I could also add in a Ballista.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nope, ballista is generally a waste of points unless you add an engineer captain, but then its cost becomes exorbitant.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Someone just told me that the new local tourneys're all at 600 points, does this change anything to the choices listed above?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ballista's have always been wastes of points, although now that monsters are an awful lot better and thus are more common, they may be worth taking but even them i am very doubtful they will pay for themselves. Only one way to find out though.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'd rather upgrade a shed load of dwarfs to Iron guard or kazad guard supported by spears than take a ballista.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Why hasnt anyone mentioned Durin yet? He is the definition of Tank. At 1000pts (which is the new standard tourney size) he is well worth the points. Durin and Khazad/ Iron Guard is a mean combo especially if you ally in say Thorin/ Dwalin with dwarf spears.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Why hasnt anyone mentioned Durin yet? He is the definition of Tank. At 1000pts (which is the new standard tourney size) he is well worth the points. Durin and Khazad/ Iron Guard is a mean combo especially if you ally in say Thorin/ Dwalin with dwarf spears.

Actually, now that monsters are more popular, and can strike against a models strength instead of defense he is much less of a tank than he was before, and with only one fate (his 5+ save sin't all that) there is a good likelihood that one round of combat with a troll can kill him, which shouldn't be the case for a 165pt combat model.

Don't get me wrong i really like durin, but the new monster rules may have slightly ruined him.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

is oin an option? to resore your heroes?

Lucas
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
SouthernDunedain wrote:

Actually, now that monsters are more popular, and can strike against a models strength instead of defense he is much less of a tank than he was before, and with only one fate (his 5+ save sin't all that) there is a good likelihood that one round of combat with a troll can kill him, which shouldn't be the case for a 165pt combat model.

Don't get me wrong i really like durin, but the new monster rules may have slightly ruined him.

Then make sure the Troll doesn't get him. Have him shred through you enemy's infantry (this is what Balin with Durins axe does to me all the time, I suppose Durin will be even better at it).

:puppy:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

All of Thorin's Company with Radagast instead of Gandalf works out at 990 points (IIRC). Radagast isn't much of a risk being deployed on his own as he has an Elven Cloak. He also brings 'Renew' and 'Panic Steed' to the party which become extra useful in an army of heroes on foot.

Quote:
Then make sure the Troll doesn't get him.

Wise words. In my first game with the new Hobbit rules I used a Cave Troll to bash through the Dwarf line then rend Durin in the next turn. Nom nom nom.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/