All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:00 am

Post subject: Battle Companies
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I know that years ago, Games Workshop released a Battle Companies campaign. I had printed out the rules and just yesterday began playing with a friend. Just wondering if anyone else has opinions about it. We only started out with the guys in out companies, so 8 for Rohan and 11 for Mordor. At the end of the scenario, all those of Rohan were wounded, and only two were recovered enough for the next game (really dumb). It is interesting, but the games will all be quite small.
 Post subject: Re: Battle Companies
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

There are actually 2-3 members that have run wild with Battle Companies. Do a search and you'll find what you're looking for.

2 have off-site Army List, and 1 has a list for every conceivable Company...http://battlecompanies.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

djgamerman wrote:
I know that years ago, Games Workshop released a Battle Companies campaign. I had printed out the rules and just yesterday began playing with a friend. Just wondering if anyone else has opinions about it. We only started out with the guys in out companies, so 8 for Rohan and 11 for Mordor. At the end of the scenario, all those of Rohan were wounded, and only two were recovered enough for the next game (really dumb). It is interesting, but the games will all be quite small.

To be honest it sounds like you had some bad luck there, but at least the game after you're guaranteed at least 6 Warriors. Myself, I really enjoy battle companies, it gets better as you get further in, although if one player has a string of bad luck to start with it will be much harder later on. If necessary, add in a "neutral" force, such as Wild Wargs or Goblins, to make it easier for one person, who have to charge the nearest enemy model. I once played Minas Tirith against High Elves and I got butchered repeatedly, until I was gaining about 10 influence each game due to points difference, but it didn't help as I reached my model limit. If you wanted to, you could take two battle companies each (from different regions) and alternate who fights who.

Here's the battle company I did a while ago:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22747

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Chris, your Battle Company looks great. That seems pretty fun, and I like your write ups. I'm not sure that I will personally go in depth with the story line, but I still like it.
Tomorrow I am leaving my playing partner behind for a while since I am moving, so Battle Companies with him will have to wait.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm getting into Battle Companies aswell, played out Balin's expedition in Moria today in BC style, ending with Balin slaying the Balrog, before being overwhelmed with trolls, wich he luckily survived. Actualy, he killed all the trolls. Anyway, I'm thinking of making a new company, maybe evil elves or evil dwarves, or a wizard warband(the last one would be fun, it just needs some new spells to be made, otherwise it would be like Sorcerous Blast spamming :-D . And about these 2 Rohan wariors, in my Moria expedition, 2 of my Khazad Guards defeated almost 20 goblins in one battle, who all charged them around the same time at the start (I was lucky enough to keep rolling 6s for winning fights and wounding them).
Edit: ChrisGoM, could you please help me with some ideas for a wizard BC, I thought of for example taking different classes, one mage using 'hex' spells, another with combat spells, another with healing spells etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Anyone have a Battle Company for the Easterlings? -Scar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:24 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I played with four other friends and we had a blast. We had a round-robin where everyone played each other at least once then we had a massive pitched battle in the end. I kept track of my company's fate and wrote a novella detailing their exploits.

Definitely worth it.