All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:47 am

Post subject: Grey Company/Mounted Rohan Alliance Tactics
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So, buoyed after painting up my first warband of Grey Company, with the second ready for priming and my two mounted rohan warbands primed and ready for painting, I'm already thinking ahead to playing and tactics.

I have NEVER played sbg before, or any other tabletop hobby battle game (not really anyway) so am hoping I pick it up quick so I can start to develop some tactics!

This forum has been fantastic for learning all sorts about the game so far and I have picked up that neither Grey Company (with the removal of volley fire and the -1 to shooting when moving) nor a Rohan force (low strength, lack of spears, underperforming cavalry) are particularly competative... but those are the models I like and thus, that is what I want to work with!

W1 mounted Erkenbrand
1x son of eorl
1x mounted Rohan royal guard
8x Westfold redshields with throwing spears

W2 mounted Eomer (shield, throwing spears)
1x son of eorl
1x mounted Rohan royal guard
8x Westfold redshields (7 throwing spears)

Allied to
W1 Halbarad
12 x Rangers of Arnor (6 spears)
W2 Arathorn
12 x Rangers of Arnor (6 spears)
W3 Ranger of the North (spear)
W4, 5, 6, 7, 8 same as above.

A couple of things I am hoping will be a plus side for this kind of alliance...
1) Highish Fight Value. All the riders are upgraded to Westfold Redshields with Erkenbrand and the Rangers are 4 too... Can't be a bad thing.

2) Some cheap might, with the Rangers of the North, Arathorn, Halbarad, Eomer and Erkenbrand. Will be important for heroic actions for ensuring the cavalry get the charge and avoid being mobbed.

3) Every warrior can fire a bow. What with the Grey Company 100% bow rule (4 RoA:1 RotN) and the removal of bow limit for riders of rohan, this will mean 48(?) shots in the shooting phase. Bows might be nerfed but must count for something?

4) Now that supporting models stats are taking into account for spear support, Rangers can back up the Rohan cavalry nicely, spears being something rohan is severely lacking as a faction full stop.

5) Backed up by the rangers, the Rohan forces, with the addition of the throwing spears, should be pretty strong in the charge, with plenty of attacks.

Now, easy to see all the positives, but I'm sure there are plenty of weaknesses so thoughts are very very welcome!

I see my key points to be the following - Use the RotN for favourable deployment, keeping cavalry away from bow fire. Use the movement of the cavalry to pull apart advancing forces. Keep cavalry reasonably close to infantry when looking to close and fight and picking my fights carefully... only where I have superiority.

Easier to say than do but advice from experienced players, particularly grey company and rohan players is much appreciated!

Looks like I will be playing the new goblins as first adversaries, as well as high elves or mordor down the line.

Post subject: Re: Grey Company/Mounted Rohan Alliance Tactics
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thermo wrote:
I have NEVER played sbg before, or any other tabletop hobby battle game (not really anyway) so am hoping I pick it up quick so I can start to develop some tactics!

If you've never played, you're starting way too big. I swear, you'll never remember all that stuff you've read here when you're in the middle of the game. Unless you're an unprecedented genius :) it will only sink after you've played and then review the game to see what you could have done differently. And it takes a few games to get over how the whims of the dice will forge your opinion about one tactic or another...you could be doing something completely viable but rolled lower than average, and if you get swayed by one-off outcomes rather than knowing the odds you might develop some bad habits.

Make a couple of simple 2-300 point armies and have at it. At this point it's not about winning, it's about learning the basics.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

How many points is that? Personally i think you have way too many cavalry models in a warband. If you picture an infantry warband packed together you will only clash with half of your cavalry models 2 attacks on each infantry model while the rest do nothing and then get swarmed the next phase. Perhaps narrow the cavalry warbands down and then include eowyn and give 5 riders or so.

Also i would recommend Malbeth over any of the Arnor heroes.

Also 150pts in Rangers of the north is a bit much. You could field a full warriors of arnor warband and take advantage of Erkenbrands horn to boost their courage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
Thermo wrote:

If you've never played, you're starting way too big. I swear, you'll never remember all that stuff you've read here when you're in the middle of the game. Unless you're an unprecedented genius :) it will only sink after you've played and then review the game to see what you could have done differently. And it takes a few games to get over how the whims of the dice will forge your opinion about one tactic or another...you could be doing something completely viable but rolled lower than average, and if you get swayed by one-off outcomes rather than knowing the odds you might develop some bad habits.

Make a couple of simple 2-300 point armies and have at it. At this point it's not about winning, it's about learning the basics.

:oops: You are of course right, I'm getting way too ahead of myself!

Easy to let excitement get the better of you with this hobby it seems! Still, nice to think about the future and how the models I have purchased might work together in the long run, so insight is appreciated, especially yours (like reading your posts).

I am planning on experimenting with learning the game first, even if I can go warband vs warband and drag my girlfriend into giving it a go before doing the 500pts games... starting with either/or grey company or rohan then moving on to mixing the two as allied warbands before this 1000pt dream I mention in the opening post!

But yes, general observations appreciated guys!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:12 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

John Wayne wrote:
Personally i think you have way too many cavalry models in a warband.

That would be because it's an all-cav army.

John Wayne wrote:
Also 150pts in Rangers of the north is a bit much. You could field a full warriors of arnor warband and take advantage of Erkenbrands horn to boost their courage.

That would be because it's Grey Company, and you need all those RotN to make it legal.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

John Wayne wrote:
How many points is that? Personally i think you have way too many cavalry models in a warband. If you picture an infantry warband packed together you will only clash with half of your cavalry models 2 attacks on each infantry model while the rest do nothing and then get swarmed the next phase. Perhaps narrow the cavalry warbands down and then include eowyn and give 5 riders or so.

Also i would recommend Malbeth over any of the Arnor heroes.

Well, that's the 1000pt dream but playing at that total is some way off... need to learn the game first, as wise whafrog points out!

With regards to the cavalry, this isn't something I know too much about but when I first mused with an all cavalry rohan force at 500pts, most commented that two slightly larger warbands that included models with punching power, like SoE and RRG was a better option than three smaller warbands.

Heard good things about Malbeth, not really chosen him due to theme (although that is contradictsed with going with arathorn I suppose!)

Also, the high volume of Rangers of the North are to guarantee the 100% bow rule for grey company (4:1 ratio)

In future, I may convert some WoMT to WoA lead by Malbeth and Arvedui, but for now, the above is the theme (have the models already mostly!) So interested in tactics!

Thanks for you input buddy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

@ Whafrog

1- Oh yeah

2- Oh yeah, i forgot

Stupid boy pike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

John Wayne wrote:
@ Whafrog

1- Oh yeah

2- Oh yeah, i forgot

Stupid boy pike

Appreciate your attention though! Can only learn from the comments of you guys until I've started playing. :-D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

All-cavalry armies ARE viable, especially when elites are made good use of (like you have). Your first two warbands look like a really nice low level army. I would recommend jumping in with that army on it's own, then drag the grey company into the fray once your ready.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
All-cavalry armies ARE viable, especially when elites are made good use of (like you have). Your first two warbands look like a really nice low level army. I would recommend jumping in with that army on it's own, then drag the grey company into the fray once your ready.

Thanks for the comments pal. Any reason why that way around? And tips how best to make that Rohan all-mounted contigent work on the battlefield?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, mixing your troops up will be confusing, it's a safer idea to stick to one army so you can get your head around all the strategies available to them. I'm also assuming you will be playing mostly against somewhat inexperienced, and since cavalry are rather tricky to counter (especially at low level games) you could overwhelm your opponent without a lot of effort.

Playing cavalry on the table? In my opinion it is all about being ballsy. You'll have 22 mounted models, and 6 might. If you ever have the opportunity to charge all your men into combat, then take it. Charging enemy models is especially important for cavalry. In addition, i'd recommend burning up Erkenbrand's horn rule early on in the game. If you charge all your men into fights on the first turn of combat and you use Erkenbrands horn your regular men will be rolling 3 dice to win the fight. There is a good chance each of them will kill a model in the above circumstances, meaning you could practically break your enemy in a single turn.

Remember to focus on the objectives though. You are playing as cavalry so rushing men to an objective in the last few turns can work better than for most armies but nevertheless, be aware that slaughtering everything won't necessarily win you the game.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:16 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
In addition, i'd recommend burning up Erkenbrand's horn rule early on in the game. If you charge all your men into fights on the first turn of combat and you use Erkenbrands horn your regular men will be rolling 3 dice to win the fight.

His horn doesn't work that way anymore, it's like 2 normal horns, stacked.

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Well, mixing your troops up will be confusing, it's a safer idea to stick to one army so you can get your head around all the strategies available to them.

This is a good point. If you want to learn both, play smaller games with each half at a time.