All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:27 am

Post subject: Re: Riders of Rohan with 100% bow rule
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yeah, it just didn't seem worth the risk on the day. Real shame though, particularly now as it doesn't look like I'll get to rearrange the games before the tournament.

I've played with a 3 hunters force + Eomer and Rohirrim before, that was pretty cool and good fun too. It just looks so cool having 35 mounted models all lined up across the board that I don't mind the in-game handicap! It does require a bit of gentlemanly agreement though, if your opponent knows you're taking an all out cavalry army before the game he could load his force with anti-cavalry stuff (Sorcerous Blast, Nature's Wrath, Panic Steed, Monsters for hurl etc.) and make for a very dull game but if you go into it taking an all round force or don't tell your opponent beforehand then they can be effective.

Heroic Strike has really changed things too, I think Isengard have done well out of it. They have access to several cheap, 3 Might F5 S5 heroes who can pounce on big enemy heroes with a punch of S4 friends, Heroic Strike their way to victory and then use their high Strength to kill the poor trapped hero. With the comparative boost to Crossbows I think Isengard are looking very tasty in the new rules.

Oh well, tournament or not, lets try out the list in the future!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dr. Grant, your army sounds quite literally awesome. When I got into the hobby rohan were pretty much my first and fav. There is nothing quite like unleashing a full cavalry charge on the enemy.
Speaking of, fancy a pelanor fields game at the Titans club, no idea when but would be awesome to get some rohan painted and charging enmass.

The art of cavalry is pretty much mobility, I find in general that its terrain that affects how you game with it the most. Having lots of bows is important because if your opponent locks down in rough ground you need a means of pulling him out. Also where foot troops would not be able to fall back and fire in the face of opposition, cavalry can quite easily outdistance pursuit while firing. Only thing to watch for here is that you don't corner yourself, if your going to be trapped between enemies and terrain, pick your moment and fight your way back out.

I also have a thing of taking large numbers of bows in any army, simply because without any bows, you have to charge at the enemy. With them you can sometimes decide to pick your ground and make them come to you.
Shrugs just my thoughts
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I still wish that Outriders counted as heroes. My old LOME army of Dwarves+Outriders mopped up in every game i played :(
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:00 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Along time ago (before the 30% bow rule existed) I played them frequently with all bows. I even played against all Elves with bows.

It lends itself really well to kiting. Even with the -1 to hit now, it just means you will have to continue dancing for a handful more turns to break the enemy, then charge in. It worked like a charm versus Uruk-Hai. It is far less effective against evil-horde armies.

The tactic falls apart if the scenario calls for anything else to be done during the game, such as claim objectives, get across the table, or the like.

With that being said, we were actually relieved when the 30% bow rule was introduced. It made it far less annoying to fight Riders of Rohan and in general, made the game more fun for everyone else involved.

I find also, that playing Riders of Rohan this way does not match the way they are depicted in the stories. But I honestly don't blame anyone who does it. GW did not create the Riders of Rohan to be anything like they are in the world of Middle Earth....as much as the rest of their game does not also reflect it, it doesn't bother me too much. It's a great game nonetheless.

Happy Commoner,