Who's better for points?
Sauron (without the one ring) 56%  56%  [ 15 ]
Sauron the Necromancer 44%  44%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject: Sauron Tactics
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

We're always talking about how to kill the Dark Lord Sauron, yet we never talk about how to use him. He has some awesome spells, but when and who on in a battle should he use them. How many points should u play him in? Can he be a one man army? And who's better for points, the Dark lord or the Necromancer? Please vote on the poll, and reply quickly xD
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm gonna come right out and say it- Necromancer rules! :oops:
While sauron is an awesome character, his point value holds him back. At half the price, I have in short the ultimate ringwraith. Back him up with bats, and he is doom to all! (Insert evil laugh here.)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

:D Well if I ever meet u, I'll challenge u to a duel, and u can give an extra 100 or so points. Then we'll see :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well even thoug the Reualr Sauron is stronger the Necro is more fun to play with and he is KILLABLE, and more appropiate for the game :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well even thoug the Reualr Sauron is stronger the Necro is more fun to play with and he is KILLABLE, and more appropiate for the game :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

@ haradrim raider, you're on! :sauron: , pah!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm undecided, the regular Sauron is far better in combat than the Necromancer, but he's rather expensive, points wise. The Necromancer, well he's a bit like a Ringwraith, you'll need to keep him out of combats as much as possible and casting spells as much as possible. I guess that the best one for different players depends on their playing style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

come on the whole piont of suaron is that he should be at the head of your force using the power of the one ring to smash your opponents into oblivion and if you want the necromancer just take the ringwraith instead its almost the same.

:sauron:
 Post subject: Re: Sauron Tactics
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think the best one depends on your playing style. Personally for me it is a ton of orcs supported by archers, trolls and other heavy hitters charching into combat, therefore I have the Dark Lord. If you like using magic then go Necromancer.
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You realize this thread is 4 years old?
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
You realize this thread is 4 years old?

Way to rob his sunshine there... :no:

Seriously though, with the rule changes maybe it could be an interesting discussion again?

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Come now, we speak of the Necromancer...surely a bit of threadomancy is acceptable...?

I for one love using Sauron with the ring (I know not an option in the poll) in...I hate to say 'fun' games but more 'what the hell' games. I generally hesitate to put too many points in heroes/villains.

Does anybody have any ideas for a Necromancer list? I have the model painted by a friend of mine and he sits...and waits.....
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Necromancer + 70 points wraith + task master + filler = spam channeled chill soul and enjoy !
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Would I not want to take advantage of upgrading the orcs? My initial thought was to spam upgraded orcs but they're still lacklustre. Perhaps if I made a few warbands using 6 Morannon Orcs with shields to have a tough and strong wall with 6 upgraded orcs with spears that contribute a better fight (and an attack). I feel this is strong enough to make one hesitate and tough enough to not break immediately. This is, I might add, something I am thinking of around 700-750pts.

I might repeat this warband with an upgraded orc captain and/or shaman. If I can get a channeled Fury off it will greatly increase the survivability. So in light of the new rules we have higher fight orcs helping the frontline of tough and strong orcs and looking at channeled Fury to survive archery and for when the enemy is bold enough to engage. A captain is a halfway decent fighter, especially with a shield. Perhaps not on par with some of what Good can throw but decent nonetheless. He can also make use of his might for a Heroic March if we need to.

I reckon the Necromancer himself won't do too much in he way of combat, despite having an instant kill attack. His magic will be where he is at, much like a more powerful Ringwraith.

Would this be taking advantage of his abilities and use in light of the new rules?

In response to the suggestion of a wraith and a taskmaster, while these are two of my favorite units I'm not sold on their place in this force. The wraith a bit more so, but I like the captain in his place. The taskmaster doesn't seem as though he would be using his whip too much. He has a point of might, the wraith might have one or two, and though I forget the Necromancer's pool he doesn't seem as though he is doing many heroic actions. The whip only works for heroic actions, not any time a point of might is used. I feel that he is better place with multiple sources of might, more than this, to get free heroic moves and attacks.
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Saunders, I must congratulate you on your successful resurrection of a four year old thread!
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It's...alive! :)
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:02 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Its the ring!.... its bringing him back alive! :shock: :shock:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:10 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

For points Sauron even without the ring is a better choice but for fun when gaming I'd choose the Necromancer every time :)
Great idea Beowulf for reinstating this thread 8)

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Saunders brought the spark of life back to the thread first...I just fanned the flame a little (before whafrog could douse it forever :sad: )

I like the Necromancer and believe he would be more acceptable in most fun games. Someone sees you pull out Sauron and they will often expect a dull, drawn out battle much the same feeling the Balrog inspires in a lot of people. But the Necromancer is not nearly as bad.

If you use him, I suggest keeping a Bat Swarm or two and perhaps a bodyguard unit (what better than a Castellan, right?) around. The Bats are fast enough to block most models that are looking to engage the Necromancer and have a larger base to assist with that role (ZoC denial). They are pretty resilient so they'll last longer than a Giant Spider, for example, and their special rule helps equalize combats well. Then you have the Casteallan, or perhaps even just an unnammed Captain with decent Fight, to be assist with physical engagements.

(Actually...I can't recall...did they give him Monster status for special attacks? I think that's what I was considering that he should but they didn't but I may be wrong)

I'm really curious to see if/how they give an alternate Profile for the Necromancer after the next movie. Although I think he's still a little overpriced I generally like the current version.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Neither sauron variant has monster status so no hurl, rend or barge for the evil dark lord.

Mid Sussex Wargamers