All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:54 am

Post subject: (House Rule) Creature From The Deep
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hello One Ringers!,

Some time ago, I got a GW Chaos Fury without its wings in an auction on ebay. I've converted it slightly, and it came out as follows:
(More pictures can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=24486&start=20 .)

Now I will use this model as one of the many nameless creatures Morgoth created. Some of these might have survived onto the Third Age and have fled into the deep places of the world. Gandalf mentions that there are old creatures down below in Moria and I imagine these were first created by Morgoth.

Now for this background, I was thinking about the following house rules:

Creature from the Deep 125 points
7" 5/4+ 6 5 2 3 4 */6/*
Claws (never considered unarmed)

Special Rules
Terror
Throw Stones. These have a range of 8" and a Strength of 4.
Cave Dweller.
Mountain Dweller.
Resistance to Magic.
Lonely Creature. A Creature from the Deep does not have a Stand Fast! In addition, no other models can profit from Heroic Actions that a Creature from the Deep calls.
Primeval Strength. A Creature from the Deep may use his Will in the same way as Might and Fate. Secondly, before a combat (but after declaring shielding) a Creature can use one point of Will to either add 1 to his Fight Value, Strength or Attacks for the duration of the fight. In addition, after a combat in which a Creature from the Deep has killed at least one opponent, it will regain 1 Will point lost earlier in the battle.
Heightened senses. A Creature of the Dark does not need line of sight to charge.
Preserving Nature. If a Creature is wounded, he must immediately pass a Courage test with a -2 modifier. If the test is passed, nothing happens. If the test is failed, the Creature flees to safety. Remove him as a casualty.

Magic:
Aura of Dismay: 5+
Aura of Horror: 5+ (duration: exhaustion)
- Unchannelled: all Good models within 6" will get a -1 modifier to their Courage (this is not cumulative to other similar modifiers like Harbinger of Evil).
- Channelled: all Good models within 12" will get a -1 modifier to their Courage.

Note that this Creature will mostly be used in small, cramped hallways and passages of an inch to a few inches at most (my Dwarf Mine board). Therefore, there won't be much shooting going on, and this will make him less vulnerable than he might seem at first. I was thinking about making him 100 points for normal battles and 120 for battles in the mines, where shooting is virtually non-existent. Also, it is not playtested yet.
Feedback would be much appreciated, especially on the points cost. Also, a better idea for its name (or 'title' so to say) would also be nice. :)

[EDITED: was 100 points and Courage 5 before]

Last edited by Fëanor, the mighty elf on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: (House Rule) Creature From The Deep
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:28 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Personally I'd remove "Aura of horror and just give him ancient evil if you're that set on it with a range of 6", I'm not a big fan of player created magic. If he has a will of 6 I'd lower his courage to 4 (but still keep the -2 modifier). I don't like the primeval strength special to be honest. For only 100 points to be able to pull a Khamul and expend will as might or fate is VERY powerful, I'd drop the ability to up your stats (str etc) and the ability to regain will. The ability to use will as might/fate I do like thou.

I know that's a lot of changes but at only 100 points I think he would be more fair for his cost. As is I'd rate him now he's 145+

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:15 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nice model and paint job!

Have to agree about the Aura of Horror...Ancient Evil is easier. Agree also that he does seem overpowered. He's not quite Gulavhar, but he's close, for half the cost.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

But it is such a small model? You should collect and convert 4 or 5 more and then maybe make them a retinue for a dweller in the dark or w/e that mini balrog is called.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:22 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

@ JamesR: I liked the Aura of Horror because this way, I could represent that he uses part of his power to become more terrifying than normal. Ancient Evil with the huge range would be far too much for how I envision him.
Actually, this is what I wanted to do. It's all about his Will points for a Creature. They are powerful creatures, but they can use their Will (indicating their power) to enhance several things about them, and they can feel more powerful as they kill enemies.
The lower Courage might be a good idea, I agree. In addition, I agree he might be a bit under-priced. Maybe I should make him Courage 4 and cost 125 points?

@whafrog: Thanks! :) You might be right, maybe Courage 4 and for 125 points would be better? Especially compared to a Dweller in the Dark, a Mordor Troll, Burdur and a Spider Queen, I guess that could be better.

@ Tezzy: Yes, it's on a 25mm base. Thanks for the idea, but that's not really how I envision these nameless creatures. I see these stalking small passages, and feeding on stray Dwarves or even Goblins. In fact, I won't be very likely to use him in a normal battle in the open air (unless it is part of a First Age scenario).

Thanks again for the thoughts all!