All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:10 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Nazgul armies in SBG - viability? and at what points?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah Khamul would be used on Foot or Mounted on a horse, but never on a Fell Beast. Plus if you are playing more than 1 wraith on Fell Beast, The Undying seems like a no brainier. Which wraith is the best Magic Caster? Looking at them I would say that the Witch King seems the best. Opinions?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sorry Draug, didnt meant to sound like a male-chicken.

When have you ever been in a game where you have had a hero in more than 20 turns of fights?

I think Khamul is nerfed by the KOU who if he wins a fight doesnt spend will and can mimik which is arguably better

If I was fielding Easterlings then Khamul is pretty good but then you can't take many men.

The Witch king has hte best casting ability but as before I think the Undying combined with another wraith would be better.
Cast easy spells with the wraith such as immobilise/drain courage/sap will and cast things like black dart with the undying on 3 dice (knowing you gain 1 back from the immobilise)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

While he won't be in 20 fights, he will have to spend some Will as Fate, and you most likely want him to cast some spells, so he won't be able to last that long, unless there's another caster for him to leech off of.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Being able to use all that will if needed as Fate is huge though in my opinion. The guy can keep alive instead of dying sometime because of some lucky dice rolls. Agreed though that he needs another wraith to leach off of.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Jazlotus wrote:
Being able to use all that will if needed as Fate is huge though in my opinion. The guy can keep alive instead of dying sometime because of some lucky dice rolls. Agreed though that he needs another wraith to leach off of.

Just to add to that point about another wraith to leech off, surely Khamul is good here in some form, because he can regain his will points by killing? So you can have khamul casting, undying leeching, then khamul killing to keep the thing going?

In which case then, perhaps it might well be useful to have him on a fell beast rather than horse, because he can just use that to get his kills without editing his stats most of the time, provided you send him after regular joes and not heroes (leave that to say the Knight of Umbar), and always use the easiest spells he can use against guys with no will to resist it?

So an army of 4 at 750 points might look like the following:-

Khamul - fell beast

KoU - fell beast

Undying - fell beast

vanilla wraith - some extra M/W/F if you have points, fell beast.

Thoughts on that?

Undying is the wizard, khamul is his will regenerator, Knight of Umbar is the character killer, regular wraith is a kind of jack of all trades for general back-up? Might even try that list out myself :)

EDIT: Oh damn... forgot about the shadow-lord :/, that list would be more vulnerable to bow-fire...

EDIT:

As a quick question to you guys, how viable do you think the fell beast army is with just the 2 named wraiths Tolkien mentions (AFAIK that's the witch king and Khamul) on fell beasts and leaving the rest as generic ones on beasts? I.e. How viable is the fell beast army WITHOUT GW's wraiths?

I ask because I was just discussing it with a friend and he hates fighting the named wraiths because they're difficult to get rid off, so I was considering toning it down a bit for him, and still fighting randoms with the named ones instead.

Cheers ;)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Bow fire is not so big an issue as warband missions you generally start closer together and bow fire is nerfed... just stay out of LOS
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It's hard to keep out of sight all the time though when playing elves or Rangers, and it only takes 1 hit and some failed fate rolls and your gone, so SL still seems good to me.

KoU on Fell Beast
Shadow Lord on Fell Beast
Witch King on Fell Beast
Undying on Fell Beast

Now that is an impressive 4.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

KoU - Horned Fell Beast

Witch King - Maxed out with M/W/F - Armoured Fell Beast

Shadow Lord - Fell Beast

Undying - Fell Beast

Works out to exactly 750 points. Have the Witch King as your Leader, hence the Armoured Fell Beast. Use Knight of Umbar as the attacking killing machine with Mimic and Horned Fell Beast, Shadow Lord protecting everyone and finally The Undying Leeching from the others spell casting. What you think?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Jazlotus wrote:
KoU - Horned Fell Beast

Witch King - Maxed out with M/W/F - Armoured Fell Beast

Shadow Lord - Fell Beast

Undying - Fell Beast

Works out to exactly 750 points. Have the Witch King as your Leader, hence the Armoured Fell Beast. Use Knight of Umbar as the attacking killing machine with Mimic and Horned Fell Beast, Shadow Lord protecting everyone and finally The Undying Leeching from the others spell casting. What you think?

Personally I'm not so sure, while I won't deny it'd be good, the reason I had Khamul was for his ability to regain will points through killing enemies in close combat, so you could effectively keep the undying and Khamul going basically... At a guess though since the fully equipped named wraiths all tend to be the same basic price before fell beasts are added, I see no reason why the Witch King couldn't be swapped out for Khamul, so you could run the same list as above just with the leech + regen trick :) - still, it looks like a fun list!
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7