All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:35 pm

Post subject: Re: Beorn / bear profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yep, I gave him (in bear form) the same movement as a horse. I know I know...a bear charging can out run a horse BUT only for a short distance. So with that in mind I opted to have him move the same a horse. Again only in bear form is he moving at 10", in human form its 6".

That movement is geared to play hand-n-hand with Rage. Gets him to point B faster. Again, most of the time Beorn is in the thick of fighting or close to the Hero that the 10" movement isn't a factor.

And if he's already in Bear Form elsewhere and his hero goes down and it triggers his Rage...whats more terrifying that seeing a 1k lb fury charging at ya? Even, I believe, a troll would blink twice...at least twice :P

Oh a side note: Once he switches into Bear Form, for any reason, he STAYS in Bear Form till the entire BATTLE is over. There is no swapping back and forth. He does not gain advantage of other Good Hero's Stand Fast. He is his own entity, his own...race. ((forgot to mention that in the my last posting))

Beorn is a gentle giant that once roused is a holy terror to behold. It would be easy to make him a true monster both in stats and in abilities, but holding to game balance, Tolkien literature, and common sense I think I got pretty close to what I see Beorn being. At least those in my gaming club accept him as my stats/abilities read. Beorn is a flavor to the game that gives it spice. Too much and its too overpowering and spoils the enjoyment of the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:33 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

What are the profiles people use for Grimbeorn, Beorns son? ...I'll post this in a new thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

theavenger001 wrote:
Yeah, funny to see a second of my old threads (camera one aswell) resurrected. Anyways, maybe give beorn 4 or 5 will, but after he turns into a bear he has to spend one will every turn or he will turn back into a human. (This is at "TheGoblinTacticus" profile)
That way if he succesfully rolls the 2+ the first time he can be in bear form for four more turns, or he can come back, but then he will have to take the chance of rolling a 1 when he next tries to turn bear. I also really like that he can't use might/will/fate when he is a bear, his normal stats are way stronger, but he is still vulnerable to rollling something low on his three attack dices and losing, and then he can't boost them with might. A good trade off in my mind.
Anyways, all that to say I like "TheGoblinTacticus" profile, but maybe make the change of the 4/5 will and expend one a turn to stay in bear form. :)

Uuh, no, I said that he can TRY to get back, but it is a good Idea to say something like:
If he throws a 3+, he will stay into bear form, if not, he changes back into human, will can be used instead of might to modify this dice?

Oh a side note: Once he switches into Bear Form, for any reason, he STAYS in Bear Form till the entire BATTLE is over. There is no swapping back and forth. He does not gain advantage of other Good Hero's Stand Fast. He is his own entity, his own...race. ((forgot to mention that in the my last posting))

Uuhmm, shouldn't he be able to transform back? Or do what I said above??
In the hobbit he clearly changes back into human form, but I can see the point (He does áfter the battle of 5 armies)

Little point: what do u mean with other Good Hero's Stand Fast? Heroes aren't affected by stand fast, they still have to take their courage test (except for Saruman the white(good version))!

I really like the "Bodyguard" Thing, that's great! I think could get one of the reasons somebody would put beorn in his army!

I read something about the Bear-zerk?
Nice, but shouldn't there be an exception if goblins/wargs are near? Or if the unit he Bodyguards is in a certain range??

Further on: Really like the Idea and indeed, I agree with the point the profiles here are possibly better then the GW ones!!!

(BTW: What is a beornling, is it also a skinchanger???)

If I'm not using correct English, I'm really sorry but I'm Dutch
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:10 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hola :)

Uuhmm, shouldn't he be able to transform back? Or do what I said above??
In the hobbit he clearly changes back into human form, but I can see the point (He does áfter the battle of 5 armies)

...I found that keeping him in Bear form and due to his Bodyguard ruling that it was fitting to have him stay in Bear Form for the duration of the game. I guess it would be easier to state that Beorn and Grimbeorn both arrive on the battle field in human form and then they can change into Bear Form. I was trying to find a balance in gaming terms, as well as get the ...feel... of Tolkienesque....or something magical in their skin-changing. To many rules and words tend to erode the effect. (Yes, I know, how to say this politely,..ah.. about players that like to stick to whats on paper.) Anywho, it works for the guys and gals I play with.

Little point: what do u mean with other Good Hero's Stand Fast? Heroes aren't affected by stand fast, they still have to take their courage test (except for Saruman the white(good version))!

...Again, you are correct. Again, its a point of "whats on paper/words is what is valid" I left it out and a few days later we had a player arguing that it did not state he was a "Hero" (not like a 135pt profile would mean anything less, but then again....have to factor in the least common denominator) and therefore was able to use another hero's Stand Fast.

I really like the "Bodyguard" Thing, that's great! I think could get one of the reasons somebody would put beorn in his army!

...Thank you. Just remember its a modified version of the Bodyguard and Unbreakable Bond rule. I found it to work nicely and make it seem Beornesque. :) We've seen many games where Beorn goes into a Rage and attempt to shield his charge. The outcome varies, but it adds flavor to the game that makes everyone laugh/curse/oooh/aaahh/and sometimes cry, all in good fun.

I read something about the Bear-zerk?
Nice, but shouldn't there be an exception if goblins/wargs are near? Or if the unit he Bodyguards is in a certain range??

...That was someone else's version of Beorn. I do like the goblin/warg idea, but again I can see it being twisted to having Beorn launch at a different target other than the goblin/warg. Sure, the rule can clearly state Beorn goes strictly after the goblin/warg, but then I am following the path of being wordy. Which I rather avoid. Also, to many bonuses and Beorn becomes un-Beorn-like. **I can see adding a rule such as:: Against Moria Goblins and Wargs (including Warg Riders) Beorn can reroll any rolls of a 1 when attempting to wound said models. Or, Reroll any failure to wound rolls (though this rule may be too overpowering).** Then I would remove the Stand Fast rule that he has under my profile of Beorn.

Further on: Really like the Idea and indeed, I agree with the point the profiles here are possibly better then the GW ones!!!

(BTW: What is a beornling, is it also a skinchanger???)

....Beorn and his son are classified as Kings/Rulers of the land east of the Anduin River and west of Mirkwood (not a buff of Tolkien lore, someone can confirm or correct that info.) so Beornlings is the name given by GW to indicate the warrior class of this "realm." They do not skin-change.

- :puppy: