All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:14 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That's a cool rule, Doop! I may try it out.

I forgot about a campaign rule that we often use: if a hero "dies" during a scenario then he lives to fight in the next scenario, but with his Fate score reduced by 1. If he survives, he regains 1 Fate for the next scenario. If he "dies" again, he loses 1 Fate for the next scenario. This continues throughout the campaign, but if a hero with 0 Fate dies then he's permanently gone.

Example:

If Aragorn "dies" 3 scenarios in a row, he'd be reduced to 0 Fate. If he dies again in the 4th scenario, then he's dead-dead. If he survives, then he goes back up to 1 Fate. If he survives again in the 5th scenario, he'd be up to 2 Fate. Requires a little book-keeping, but it makes things like playing out The Lord of the Rings linked campaign a little easier on the heroes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In mines of moria we play with the additional rule that if your standing on the tomb then you get a +1 deffence. and if your standing on the tomb and shooting you can shoot over allies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Manofkent wrote:
and if your standing on the tomb and shooting you can shoot over allies.

Your other rule is interesting, I like it. But that one, isn't that kind of irrelevant because of Line of Sight?

whafrog wrote:
Interesting rule, doop. How does it affect game balance and point costs?

Umm, to be honest, I haven't really thought about that facet of the rule that much :P our group plays it because of a few reasons, number one, it doesn't suit to have elite warriors taken down by goblins, and number two, it ties in with the movies, with a few elite warriors facing a massive horde and coming out on top (obviously this isn't always the case). We have found, though, that we now spend a lot more time Charging then before. Whereas before you would only have to think about a few key moves per game, now with fights so much easier to win, you have to look at it from different angles. Obviously some of us do that anyway, but now the opponent won't get too annoyed ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:24 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

doop dude wrote:
Umm, to be honest, I haven't really thought about that facet of the rule that much :P our group plays it because of a few reasons, number one, it doesn't suit to have elite warriors taken down by goblins...

Oh, I like the rule a lot! I wish I'd thought of it, and I might ask to borrow it for the By the Book project (if I ever get back to it). But it seems like you'd need to field, say, many more goblins to take on an elf army. Just a rough guess, but 500 points of elves looks like it could take on 1000 points of a Moria army, maybe more. Each elf is equal to 2.5 goblins (though the goblins get more dice). 2 elf heroes could easily take down a cave troll even if they both always roll 1s: if I understand your rule correctly, minimum elf score with 2 heroes is 13, maximum cave troll score is a 12.

So unless you have a guideline, it would be really hard to have a fair tournament. How do the goblin players handle it?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Manofkent wrote:
In mines of moria we play with the additional rule that if your standing on the tomb then you get a +1 deffence.

That's kind of irrelevant - it would count as a defended barrier anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
Just a rough guess, but 500 points of elves looks like it could take on 1000 points of a Moria army, maybe more. Each elf is equal to 2.5 goblins (though the goblins get more dice)

Hm.... that sounds like an interesting scenario.... :P

But yeah, the reason we took it so it wasn't just like battle lines clashing, there was actually more manoeuvring in the game, its a lot better.

And sadly the only Goblin player we had in our circle left the hobby and sold his force due to financial reasons before we bought in this rule. He was one of the two that was my age and competitive. Him, another fella and I would consistently flog the pants off everyone else our age, who used no tactics at all, even before this rule. :D