All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:45 am

Post subject: Re: More realistic Armour Limits
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:20 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Besides, if you start at low poundage, which they would have, your muscles would be much more than strong enough to keep your back straight. The only thing I liked about the Rodin Hood movie of a few years ago was how massive Russel Crow's character's back was.

I'm pretty sure that Boromir had chainmail on his whole upper body.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Now, chainmail on the whole of the upper body would make sense- but, if I recall correctly, and I might not, the costume only covered the whole arm (now that I look at a picture). But that was from a book that I saw a while ago that showed his costume as only having chainmail sleeves, and I may remember wrong.

And yes, that Robin Hood was absolutely awful.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think that was to save time. Since they didn't show the whole thing, why would they bother making a full suit?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

They did make him a full suit of armour for the extended edition of The Two Towers.

Making chain mail takes a very long time (speaking out of experience), but the chain mail used in the films are made of a lighter material.
Probably machine made and re-used by other actors.

Denethor for example had a really big chain mail shirt.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The mail in the films was not machine made. It was all done by hand, maybe you should watch 'the making of'' more often.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Interesting. As for why wouldn't they make him a full suit, I don't know. But I do know that Gimli had a 200lbs suit of armor that had to be taken off and put back on for shots at the bottom and tops of hills.

If you can do that, then why not extend a bit more mail for Boromir? And yes, they did make a full suit for the Two Towers, but he didn't take that to Rivendell.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:52 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Indeed he didn't take his full body armour to Rivendell, but my point is, that why not make a full chain mail hauberk if they can make a full body armour for a deleted scene?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I still think it was over his upper body, we only saw it on his arms because that's where it showed beneath the cloth.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'll call it suspension of disbelief. Anyhow, the point is that chainmail, unless extremely well made, will not stop an arrow from a 100+ lbs bow if it is a direct hit. Slow it down, yes. Enough to get it to stick into... probably not.

For instance, one can, at a distance of 20 yards, put an arrow from a 45lbs bow into a bull elk. This arrow will blow through both sides of the elk, including breaking ribs if it has to (and if it's engineered properly- meaning if the fletching is properly aligned with the type of bow, being right or left hand draw, the alignment of the blades on the head, etc).

Now, I think we could all agree that a bull elk is tougher than a human, yes? And I think that, while it doesn't wear chainmail, the difference of +55lbs, at minimum, would make up for the difference, yes? So, I think that one can safely say that Lurtz could put an arrow through Boromir, unless it was a horribly engineered arrow, or his bow was weaker than it seemed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

@ Valamir: A valid point indeed, but the point that his bow might be weaker and his arrows because it are orc made weapons should be noted.
The audience had to see that he was getting shot at with arrows, and it would be weird that he somehow has a gaping hole where.

Lurtz was a big uruk, huge muscles and I think that he was a skilled (skilled enough) archer and he would have a bow around the 75+lbs. (not based on anything)

Personally I don't think that orcs should have bad equipement and are bad archers.
They are a race bred only for war and destruction, so that means that their smiths, fletchers etc. should have some experience in making their materials.
We don't know clearly how old orcs are when they are send to war, how much training they had, what sort of training, how they are organized.

If orcs have the same life span of humans, and age the same they should be as strong as humans, and as skilled as humans.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

imrail wrote:
Personally I don't think that orcs should have bad equipement and are bad archers.
They are a race bred only for war and destruction, so that means that their smiths, fletchers etc. should have some experience in making their materials.
We don't know clearly how old orcs are when they are send to war, how much training they had, what sort of training, how they are organized.

If orcs have the same life span of humans, and age the same they should be as strong as humans, and as skilled as humans.

The books make it pretty clear that Orcs, being "mockeries" are not as powerful, skilled and intelligent as Men, Elves and Dwarves by simple virtue of their nature. Uruk-hai, which were bred specially (I suppose in the way modern farmers breed cows and soforth for size, etc) were supposed to be Man-high and as fast as Men, with better organization and skill.

Sauron thought of "normal" Orcs as fodder troops and didn't care how many lived or (more likely) died. He didn't put great resources into their equipment.

Either Shagrat or Gorbag mentions "the siege" in the books, and it's been heavily implied that they were talking about the Battle of Dagorlad and siege of Barad-dur during the Last Alliance. It makes it seem as though they were there, which would give Orcs a lifespan more in line with Elves. Of course, it's all fan speculation.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I would not be surprised if orcs did have that type of longevity, but the point regarding orcish equipment is a valid one. However, I do believe that Saruman would have spent more time on his, seeing as he had limited resources and needed his troops to have a certain degree of survivability because one can only breed uruks so fast.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
I think that was to save time. Since they didn't show the whole thing, why would they bother making a full suit?

They made underclothes for Gandalf even though they knew it wouldn't ever appear on screen, so I think they would

:puppy:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ha! One would think so, indeed. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:25 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That was to give the look that he was actually wearing undergarments.