All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:16 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Overpowered Harad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

BlackMist wrote:
Quote:
Others have mentioned the Golden King has serious Line-of-sight issues, as in the way rolls are much harder to get, the extra wound merely compensates for this, but also increases the cost, you can get almost 3 captains for his price.

Please, please, please, please read the rulebook...

It is the WHOLE model that you're shooting at, not the King on the top. Same as you're shooting at the whole Balrog or the whole Dragon, so as long as a piece of their foot is obscured there is ALWAYS and In The Way roll. You're also shooting at the whole Witch King on Fell Beast - if there is clear view to the WK, but the beast's leg is covered, you get an In The Way. The only exception is the tail.

Not to derail the thread...but as read from the Rulebook

"Often a shooters view of the target's body will be obscured by another model or some other object that lies between the shooter and the target. The model or object is in the way of the shot. Remember that for 'body' we mean a model's torso, limbs and head, but we exclude it's tail and all equipment."

Body = Golden King's torso, etc on the raised chair.

Equipment = Chair...below the body.

As the body is the only part which can be obscured, and it is so high compared to other models, it is very unlikely that the body will be blocked, granting an 'in the way' roll. Instead it will be the equipment, which the rulebook states does not grant an 'in the way' roll if obscured.

Thank You. :P

OERP
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The model of Golden King is the target.
Target includes the king and 2 men below him.
If the body of any of the 2 men below is obscured, you get an in the way. This particular model has effectively 3 bodies and they get removed together once 4 wounds are caused.

Otherwise, following your logic, you would often be unable to get an in the way for a cavalry model behind a rank of foot troops. Which in truth you can. You would also not be able to ever get in the ways when shooting at a Witch King on Fell Beast.

Last edited by BlackMist on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

BlackMist wrote:
The MODEL of GOLDEN KING is the TARGET.
TARGET includes THE KING and 2 MEN BELOW HIM.
If the body of any of the 2 men below is obscured, you get an in the way. This particular model has effectively 3 bodies and they get removed together once 4 wounds are caused.

You may have a point as it states the bearers are counted as part of the model, although...the King himself would not get in the way rolls easily. I may be wrong, I was honestly just agreeing with what The Horde Lord had said earlier.

OERP
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That's cool, I'm not shouting or anything, I just used capitals to highlight instead of bolding :) Here, I edited so that it doesn't seem to anyone that I'm being rude.

It is logical that you'd be shooting at the top dude, same as you would be aiming at the rider on the top of a horse, but in the game terms it is the whole model that counts as the Golden King, just like a horse is part of the cavalry model and has its own 2nd body.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, when I said hide, I meant make people unable to draw LOS.

In truth, Harad isn't overpowered, if any single faction is overpowered (from a gaming perspective), I guess it would be Mordor.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree with The Horde Lord, IMO, Mordor is the most overpowered (although I think the game is quite balanced), especially when you compare it to Angmar.

The only reason Harad is allowed to have 50% bow limit is because the boxes have 6 bows and 6 spears - it just means it easier to sell, rather than getting twice as many boxes to use 6 archers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Mordor is not the most overpowered list in SBG, all it has overpowered are Black Numenoreans and some Ringwraiths. I think you will find Elves and Dwarves are much more overpiwered than Mordor in SBG, virtually all the core Elven and Dwarven Warriors (and some Heroes) are too cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:23 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rangefinder wrote:
I wish the Mahud Warriors still had their original 2 Attacks!
...robbed I tell you, robbed!

If you can find one scrap of evidence that justifies them being Fight Value and Strength 4, let alone having two attacks I'm all ears. GW purposefully overpowered them to sell more metal miniatures.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lord Hurin wrote:
Rangefinder wrote:
I wish the Mahud Warriors still had their original 2 Attacks!
...robbed I tell you, robbed!

If you can find one scrap of evidence that justifies them being Fight Value and Strength 4, let alone having two attacks I'm all ears. GW purposefully overpowered them to sell more metal miniatures.

Hear, hear. :yay:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Mordor is not the most overpowered list in SBG, all it has overpowered are Black Numenoreans and some Ringwraiths. I think you will find Elves and Dwarves are much more overpiwered than Mordor in SBG, virtually all the core Elven and Dwarven Warriors (and some Heroes) are too cheap.

It's about overpowered factions, or most powerfull f you like, not factions that have the most underpriced units. Both elves and dwarves will suffer in the numbers department, which is bad itself, since
Whafrog wrote:
The game mechanics favor quantity over quality
. In addition, dwarves are extremly slow (5" and no cavalry), have no spears and have no real magic or particularly beneficial special rules such as for instance, the Nahzgul have. Elves on the other hand suffer form avarage defence, coupled with a high price tag and expensive heroes.

Of course all factions has their weaknesses and their strengths, and most of them can be worked around and all of them can be made up for with alliances.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:07 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I did not misunderstand you, i just do not think that the Mordor lisy as a whole is as overpowered as an Elf or Dwarf list as a whole. If all their core Warriors are too cheap (too cheap differs from cheap eg a Rohan Warrior is cheap, a Dwarf warrior is too cheap) then they are more overpowered.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I did not misunderstand you, i just do not think that the Mordor lisy as a whole is as overpowered as an Elf or Dwarf list as a whole. If all their core Warriors are too cheap (too cheap differs from cheap eg a Rohan Warrior is cheap, a Dwarf warrior is too cheap) then they are more overpowered.

By my calculations (based on a warrior with a Warrior of Rohan profile and no armour being 5 points, and every stat boost save Attack and Wounds being 1 point each) then Dwarves should be 9 points, and High Elves should be 11/12. That's before any equipment or anything. Funny thing is, with Fight value not mattering too much and 8 point Morannon Orc will generally be much better. In all the battles I've had against Elves, they rarely wound if they win and almost always die if they lose.

A boost in strength is much more effective than a boost in fight value.

Going by this logic, several Haradrim troops are underpriced:

-Harad Warriors are identical to Rohan archers in every respect, but have the poison special rule and the ability to be fielded en-masse

-Corsairs should be 1 more point (5 base +1 fv +2 for throwing daggers =8)

-Watchers of Karna apparently pay nothing for three pretty good special rules

-Abrakhan Merchant Guard should cost at least 2 more points (5 base +1 fv +1 strength +1 defence +1 for 2-hander +1/2 for awesome special rule)

-Black Numenoreans should be another 2 points (5 base +1 fv +3 defence (ha & shield) +1 courage +1 for terror)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Going by the standard 1 point per stat logic every warrior in the game is undercosted. A goblin should cost 7 or 13 points, depending on wether you start at 1 or 0. Also, like LH said, not all upgrades are equally good. upgrading your courage from 2 to 3 is considerably more valuable than upgrading it from 4 to 5. Upgrading your defence from 3 to 4 is (at least for evil) considerably better than upgrading it from 4 to 5 since most good troops are strenght 3 and the bows are about half and half.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Horde Lord wrote:
Going by the standard 1 point per stat logic every warrior in the game is undercosted. A goblin should cost 7 or 13 points, depending on wether you start at 1 or 0. Also, like LH said, not all upgrades are equally good. upgrading your courage from 2 to 3 is considerably more valuable than upgrading it from 4 to 5. Upgrading your defence from 3 to 4 is (at least for evil) considerably better than upgrading it from 4 to 5 since most good troops are strenght 3 and the bows are about half and half.

I don't start from 1 though. This profile:

F/Sh S D A W C
3/4+ 3 3 1 1 3

Is worth 5 points, and I go from there. Goblins are perfectly costed then, as their slower movement is negated by their ability to ignore terrain. Shoot value is generally not a factor.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes, I too start at that one, but that give the cheaper units an advantage because this profile pays five points for 14 or 8 "statpoints" When you keep adding on stat increaes, the more expensive profiles end up paying more points per upgrade than the cheaper profiles. For instance an unarmed dwarf costs 100% more than an unarmed goblin. His fight and courage are both 100% higher, but his defence is only 50% higher, and all the other stats are (basicly) the same.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lord Hurin wrote:

All the top GT players would disagree. Also, you seem to be giving the impression that Elves are not very good... yet they've been the most common army at the GT for years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:34 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Lord Hurin wrote:

By my calculations (based on a warrior with a Warrior of Rohan profile and no armour being 5 points, and every stat boost save Attack and Wounds being 1 point each) then Dwarves should be 9 points, and High Elves should be 11/12. That's before any equipment or anything. Funny thing is, with Fight value not mattering too much and 8 point Morannon Orc will generally be much better. In all the battles I've had against Elves, they rarely wound if they win and almost always die if they lose.

Going by this logic, several Haradrim troops are underpriced:

-Harad Warriors are identical to Rohan archers in every respect, but have the poison special rule and the ability to be fielded en-masse

-Corsairs should be 1 more point (5 base +1 fv +2 for throwing daggers =8)

-Watchers of Karna apparently pay nothing for three pretty good special rules

-Abrakhan Merchant Guard should cost at least 2 more points (5 base +1 fv +1 strength +1 defence +1 for 2-hander +1/2 for awesome special rule)

-Black Numenoreans should be another 2 points (5 base +1 fv +3 defence (ha & shield) +1 courage +1 for terror)

Elves are bleeding good.

Your logic with the BNs, Watchers, Corsairs, Abrakhan guard are correct. Though Watchers also get their stats too cheap as well as the rules for free. They should cost more, but they are not Haradrim Warriors. Also, you missed the worst ones, Corsair Reavers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Elves are bleeding good.

Your logic with the BNs, Watchers, Corsairs, Abrakhan guard are correct. Though Watchers also get their stats too cheap as well as the rules for free. They should cost more, but they are not Haradrim Warriors. Also, you missed the worst ones, Corsair Reavers.

Whats so bad about Reavers?

They gain 1 increase in defence, 2 in fight and an attack...adds up to their points cost if you ask me.

Watchers however...they gain 1 in defence, fight, shoot and attack, and 3 special rules. That should may their total cost at least 12, but they cost less than the Reaver.

Black Numenoreans gain 3 in defence, a fight, a courage and a special rule. Should be about 12 aswell.

OERP
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

There isn't any difference between underpriced and overpowered, they are one and the same. Elves and Dwarves are by far the most overpowered factions, because they are underpriced.

Highlordell, all of the dwarves should also cost and extra point and the elves should cost 2 more. Also the Reavers lose throwing weapons, effectively reducing what they should cost by 2. If they had throwing weapons, they'd be worth taking.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Also, the Reavers only get 1 increase to fight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next