All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:32 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: In Defence of Proxies.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm sorry to hear that there was any "rough talk" in chat. There's a sad fact of online communication that the courtesy shown in face-to-face conversations sometimes falls to the side online, or people can be misinterpreted in their tone (almost impossible to register properly in text) and things can degenerate. I think most of here have been trying to keep this on a reasonable discussion here in the thread so let's try to put any earlier 'aggression' behind us. That being said...

I agree that just painting the model up differently may not be enough in such a case. However, looking at the model pictured above it does look like it can blend in nicely with the force described, and it is leading a warband in a game with no Blackroot Vale archers in the force (I hope!), so there is not really that much room for confusion. It would be best though if a head swap was done, or the post changed significantly enough to help draw extra attention to it.

Maybe we just really communicate before games more than some others. If my opponent handed me his army list and it showed something like :

Warband 1
Aranath (Halbarad with spear)
....list all troops here...

And he showed me the model and said "this is Aranath" then I would be fine. No real confusion. He's not making up a point/profile or using a point/profile that is not normally a leader for the warband he's playing.

If he just showed up, started putting models down on the table and suddenly a couple turns into the game the model I simply assumed was Duinhir suddenly did something that the Duinhir does not allow then it WOULD be a problem. This second scenario is one that is more likely in tournament play but maybe some people face this in normal in-store play as well.

Expanding on one thing posted above, I would absolutely not expect any problem if I was using my traditional Eomer model to represent any of the Eomer variations, or if I used my White Council Saruman model (the only one I own and my fav due to his pose) to lead my Isengard force with the appropriate "evil version" profile. Seriously...just because GW kicks out a new profile option for a character and cranks out another $20 - $40 model for it should NOT mean people think they need to actually buy that specific version to play that profile. Seriously...would someone actually call FOUL! because you were using the original Eomer with any of the available profiles as long as you showed them your list before starting play?????

(personal note: Boromir, CotWT with banner is a push since the Banner is so much of a visual, but I can't think of any other at this extreme)

Can I clarify with the OP: are you making up or altering the Halbarad profile or points in any way, or simply trying to use an alternate model to represent? A modified point/profile changes the entire scope of the discussion.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I've played against King Ondoher using Aranath (Duinhir) and his Rangers of Arnor and had no problems, no confusion. They all die the same way under the thunderous charge of the fighting uruk hai :P
Sorry Josh couldn't resist :wink:

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm still not clear on one thing. You said you didn't want to use a halbarad model as you want aranath, not halbarad. But if you're using a duinhir model unconverted, then it's duinhir, not aranath....I hope that makes sense. I'm guessing that duinhir looks more like how you envision aranath? (Even though he has the same wargear as halbarad?)

In the end it comes down to one thing:
1. is it okay with your opponent? (as whafrog said, use carrots if they're fine with it! :o )

IMO the optimum thing would be to convert a halbarad model. The second most optimumn thing would be to convert a duinhir model as he is still a ranger and has the same wargear.

If you cannot convert halbarad becuase of a lack of skill/time/whatever, then go for duinhir. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
I've played against King Ondoher using Aranath (Duinhir) and his Rangers of Arnor and had no problems, no confusion. They all die the same way under the thunderous charge of the fighting uruk hai :P
Sorry Josh couldn't resist :wink:

My Bolt thrower created some pin cushions though. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:37 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

King Ondoher wrote:

I still have nightmares :o

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

King Ondoher wrote:
Feanor, a user on TLA wrote a Battle Report about the Battle of Azanulbizar, in the War of Dwarves and Orcs. He used a Murin model to represent Thorin Oakenshield (this was about 6 months - a year ago before the Hobbit range came out). I forget which profile he used but it was probably Murin or a Captain.

He's also a user on the One Ring since some time. ;)
Anyway, I agree on your post (obviously). When used reasonably I think proxies are perfectly fine.
I used the Murin model to represent Thorin for a couple of reasons: there was no actual model, and no rules yet, and from the books we know Thorin used a shield in the War of the Dwarves and the Orcs (or at least at the last battle). For the profile I used Gimli's stats. Thorin was at the time not as old, although he was a Dwarf Lord (or descendant of them). He therefore must have had a solid training, not the best, but better than a Captain. Gimli's stats were just perfect! He didn't have a shield, but his defence was high enough.
Also, I used Dain's model (and profile) to represent Thrain. His model looked fitting for the respectably old Dwarf, as did his profile.

I should note, however, that I much prefer to (even slightly) convert a model and give him an alternative colour scheme to represent another model, just to make it extra clear and to make him closer to how you envision him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:
I would like to put it on record that myself and the others referred to in the OP were never insulting and did not shout down King Ondoher.

Well, I felt like I was shouted down. Probably because I was bombarded with several negative opinions all at once (Instant Messaging).

Quote:
were never insulting

I apologise for not being clear, it was likely a poor choice of wording. When I said you [collectively] were "insulting my intelligence", I was referring to the absurd and hyperbolic examples of Proxy use. I.e. comparing my use of a Duinhir model (a great model from a force I do not play, which just happened to have wargear which fitted with an official profile in the force I DO play) to the use of Frodo as Sauron etc.

I did not mean that people were being rude and making insults (i.e. name calling).

Quote:
It was unfortunate that he asked the question at that time as there were a few people who share my views in the chat box and quickly joined in the conversation.

Yes, that was the problem I think. Due to the IM nature of the chatbox, I was suddenly bombarded with several negative opinions all at once, people saying its wrong to proxy ever for any reason, that its comparable to using a Frodo model as Sauron etc.

Quote:
I did think that after we were all told to drop it, this would be the end but no...I wake up to this.

Quote:
I did think that after we were all told to drop it, this would be the end but no...I wake up to this.

Well I did say there and then that I would make a thread to set out my point clearly. I started this thread, because its a conversation that should have been a Forum post from the start, rather than a frantic argument in the IM Chatbox. Its difficult to keep up with a debate, when for every reply you write theres been 10 or more other comments making new points or arguments. Now that its in a Forum thread, we (or perhaps, I can calm down and make a measured thought out response.

Quote:
In fact, it was Ondo who was insulting, calling any opponent (who couldnt guess that his Duinhir who was using Halbarad's rules as Aranath) an Idiot. Last time I checked, I couldnt read minds. If someone turns up to a game and has a Duinhir model, I am going to presume that he is Duinhir.

No, I did not insult any of you. I did not call any of you an idiot, and was not referring to you but rather to some hypothetical non existant person (because none of you are my opponents, except for DMS who has played against me before and had no problem with it). I refer you to this.

King Ondoher said wrote:
They said that my opponent would be confused, and wouldn't know what the model is - are SBG players really that stupid?.

Before the game I would inform my opponent what the model is supposed to be, and the rules I am using. Throughout the game, whenever necessary I would frequently remind him. I would also have the profile written down on paper for quick reference (as I do anyway for stats purposes, wounds M/W/F etc).

My point was that if my opponent: after being informed prior to the game, frequently during the game (whenever it mattered, and/or whenever asked) and having the profile written down on paper for his reference; and he STILL could not comprehend that I was using the Halbarad profile, THEN he would be an idiot.

Quote:
In my eyes, every model on the board should be as written on the army list. If you want Halbarad/ his profile, then use Halbarad and convert him to look like the model in question.

My point is that I think of the Model, and the Profile as seperate entities. When reasonable, for Theme purposes it should be OK to use a model with a different profile.

Quote:
I applaud the effort but if you use Duinhir as he is with no effort to change him bar a paint scheme, then that is just being lazy. Otherwise he is a purple Duinhir.

I used him because I liked the model as is and hes distinct enough from Halbarad to not be mistaken as the character Halbarad. If I'd expected that people would be so extremely negative to the idea, then I would have sculpted a face mask over him - and voila, hes now a conversion not a proxy. But then, inevitably, at least one person would then make the argument that its not distinct enough. Just at what point is a model a conversion and no longer a proxy? Its subjective.

Quote:
Another example I have seen posted is to use Theoden's model with Eomers Stats as Thengel...I'm sorry but that is just :o Doesn't get more confusing for your opponent than that.

Again, not if you say from the start WHAT the model is, remind your opponent frequently and have the profile written down for quick reference.

Quote:
Or using Lurtz as Shagrat, War Leader...why? there is a purpose sculpt model for that profile which is much nicer than the lurtz sculpt. Not to mention lurtz has a bow when Shagrat does not.

That wasn't my example. I agree that this would be a bad idea, because it doesn't conform to WYSIWYG where equipment is concerned. My suggestion DOES conform to WYSIWYG for equipment. Halbarad profile: spear, bow, armour. Duinhir model: spear, bow, armour.

Quote:
As for the statement about quitting the hobby. What the person meant was if you dont want to play by GW rules, dont go to their tournaments.

Perhaps. But I can't mind read either. The exact wording IIRC, was "If you don't like it, quit the game".

Quote:
However, this isnt a GW tournament so do as you wish. You asked a question, you got an answer, you kicked off. I will say no more on this matter and neither will the other parties involved (you know who you are).

Yes, I kicked off but not in response to the answer regarding Tournaments & Proxies. I understood and accepted the answer, though I expressed disappointment. This probably wasn't very clear in the Chatbox because the conversation moved so fast. Some people may have thought I was complaining about not being allowed to Proxy in GW Tournaments. I wasn't.

Rather, I was kicking off against the deeply negative and absolutist response to the idea (i.e. you should never do it in any circumstances).

And I was not being rude and insulting people (nor was anyone else - there was no "rough talk"). I did not call anyone present an idiot or any other name. I did say "FFS" in exasperation once (because I couldn't keep up with 4+ people at once, and people were making absurd counterpoints) and if that offended anyone then I apologise.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
King Ondoher wrote:

I still have nightmares :o

Also, my Arnor force is set during the Fall of Arnor. I suppose it was only appropriate that they got crushed. :lol:

Beowulf03809 wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that there was any "rough talk" in chat. There's a sad fact of online communication that the courtesy shown in face-to-face conversations sometimes falls to the side online, or people can be misinterpreted in their tone (almost impossible to register properly in text) and things can degenerate.

There was no "rough talk", in that no-one was making insults or being rude. I was exasperated, sure, but that was due to being bombarded with several extremely negative and (what I perceived as) absolutist Black & White opinions at once in the IM Chatbox.

I did refer to the use of straw man arguments and slippery slope logical fallacies as "insulting my intelligence" but I did not mean that people were being rude and making intentional insults/ name calling. Poor choice of words on my part perhaps.

Beowulf03809 wrote:
Can I clarify with the OP: are you making up or altering the Halbarad profile or points in any way, or simply trying to use an alternate model to represent? A modified point/profile changes the entire scope of the discussion.

For the moment, no. I currently use the Duinhir model (in my Arnor colour scheme), with the official Halbarad profile. Its simply a Duinhir model, played using the Halbarad profile equipped with a spear to represent a historical character not covered in the official GW range.

I've since found a model which fits my vision of Aranarth even better, the Darksword miniature for Jon Snow from Game of Thrones:
Click to: Show
. For this model I would likely write some houseruled profile, but for now its just a pipe dream as I havn't got the mini (should probably do something about my back log first :oops: ). In any case, I would not be allowed to use this model in a GW store altogether, so it makes sense to have two alternatives depending on where I'm playing at.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Just a fair bit of warning about those GoT minis, they're in a completely different scale to GW's. Much taller and thinner. If you used him he'd likely tower over your existing models.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

:sad: Thanks for the warning. I'm a big fan of Game of Thrones also, so I still have an excuse. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Earendur wrote:
Just a fair bit of warning about those GoT minis, they're in a completely different scale to GW's. Much taller and thinner. If you used him he'd likely tower over your existing models.

Taller than the newer releases such as Grimbold, as they already tower over the plastics?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Use the new Halbarad and convert him to have his hood up therefore causing 0 arguments...

Save the children, stop calling people stupid or idiots. You might find some of us are rather well educated and far more qualified to assess your intelligence than you are to assess ours.

I've post a repost in the TLA forums on the same thread. I won't repeat it except to say
"Why, should I allow you to use a proxy when there is an existing model for those rules and conversly a distinct rules set for the model you want to use as a proxy? The confusion is unnecesary"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

cereal_theif wrote:
Use the new Halbarad and convert him to have his hood up therefore causing 0 arguments...

Save the children, stop calling people stupid or idiots. You might find some of us are rather well educated and far more qualified to assess your intelligence than you are to assess ours.

I've post a repost in the TLA forums on the same thread. I won't repeat it except to say
"Why, should I allow you to use a proxy when there is an existing model for those rules and conversly a distinct rules set for the model you want to use as a proxy? The confusion is unnecesary"

See my reply on TLA then. Because you've completely misrepresented my point, and my motives.

Regarding calling people stupid. I did not anyone here or on TLA stupid.

I was referring to a non existant hypothetical opponent, who apparently is STILL unable to comprehend what I'm doing after: being informed at the start of the game; being reminded throughout the game, and whenever they asked; having the profile written down for quick reference; and having the proxy clearly marked on my Army list.

As far as I'm aware, I'm not currently playing a game with nor planning to play a game with anyone on either OR or TLA. So until the day we do meet / if we meet; and you exhibit a spectacularly poor memory, you're not my opponent, and I'm not calling you stupid.

I find this extremely blinkered and absolutist attitude that a profile can only ever be used for the official model and vice versa, to be extremely toxic for the Hobby in general.

I'm not some Ultra-Competitive Tournament Player who wants to gain every advantage possible by using every dirty and underhanded trick in the book. I've only ever attended one, unoffical Tournament, hosted by TLA a few years ago.

I'm simply a LOTR enthusiast who has read some of the Appendices and reference material on the fall of Arthedain, and wishes to represent an unreleased obscure character using the model and profile I feel best represents him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

King Ondoher has had the last word on this topic for now.

There seems to be quite a bit of misunderstanding going on and as an outsider to the discussion this doesn't seem like a normal One Ring thread to me so I am locking it !

Please make sure it doesn't bubble up again in a new thread.

Thanks

Azog

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2