All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:16 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nazgul armies in SBG - viability? and at what points?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

What is rotk?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

*facepalm* Return of the King ...RotK :o please tell me you have seen the movies.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Of course! Sorry, that many but silly things on here I never know what they mean. Rofl lol hefiltpy. Know what I mean
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If you we're defiantly going up against Bow fire, would taking an Armoured Fell beast be worth the extra 20 points? Does mean 6/4's.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would use Khamul, the WK gets a bit expensive and the Knight loses much of his usefullness when he already has multiple attacks and high strength whereas Khamul can just boost whatever he needs and then gets some Will back.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I just played my RingWraith on Fell Beastl for the first time, and got wiped out. I love the model, and really wanna get good with it and build upto playing more of them in an army but I need help I think. Which Wraith is best to use against a Gondor army? My friend managed to get charge 2 Dol Amroth knights into my Wraith on Fell Beast and killed him.... Gutted. I tried heroic move but so did he and he won the roll off. Then he got 1 wound against my Wraith but thought no worries, I have 2 Fate but oh yes rolled a 1 twice..... Weep weep.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I should use or the knight of umbar or khamull. (and boost your fight to 6 when you need it)
knight of umbar has got 3 might so is really usefull and he doesn't lose will. and against powerfull heroes he can copy the stats.

At many point think about the witch king with morgulkrown and fell beast.

Azog
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

NotLegolasJustTipsy wrote:
If you we're defiantly going up against Bow fire, would taking an Armoured Fell beast be worth the extra 20 points? Does mean 6/4's.

For 20pts I'm not so sure tbh... it is after all potentially 4 extra M/W/F for a generic wraith... I'd just go with the shadow lord and have done with it tbh, but if you're going with just the one then that makes it a more difficult choice... - the shadowlord is still a capable fighter though due to his beast ;), and as an added bonus because of his rule and big base potentially lots of your other guys can be protected from bow-fire too...

-Azog- wrote:
I should use or the knight of umbar or khamull. (and boost your fight to 6 when you need it)
knight of umbar has got 3 might so is really usefull and he doesn't lose will. and against powerfull heroes he can copy the stats.

At many point think about the witch king with morgulkrown and fell beast.

Azog

Isn't the crown pointless though when you can (or could anyway, dunno about the new rules) just use the attack value of the beast? Which on the charge is 3 anyway?

Jazlotus wrote:
So I just played my RingWraith on Fell Beastl for the first time, and got wiped out. I love the model, and really wanna get good with it and build upto playing more of them in an army but I need help I think. Which Wraith is best to use against a Gondor army? My friend managed to get charge 2 Dol Amroth knights into my Wraith on Fell Beast and killed him.... Gutted. I tried heroic move but so did he and he won the roll off. Then he got 1 wound against my Wraith but thought no worries, I have 2 Fate but oh yes rolled a 1 twice..... Weep weep.

And sorry to hear that :) - takes a bit of practice, and I'll be honest I think at a tourney I'd be screwed with them also... yeah, losing the priority and then the heroic move roll off is what lost if for you there me-thinks (to state the obvious...) - sometimes bad luck just happens though - didn't you have any other wraiths to charge in there to take out the knights?

Nice to see this thread is still kicking!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi,
Iv just had a good read through the thread and love the idea of a full wraith army. However whenever I have played a fell beast i never seem to have much joy. I usually play the witch king on a horned FB. He looks great on the board but as soon as he gets into combat it's game over for him. The three attacks never seem enough to win combat against multiple enemies. And with the wraith having only one wound it only takes one hit and failed fate rolls and he's out of the game. It never seems worthwhile playing, particularly for the points.

Any thoughts on how I can improve in my tactics and get the best from this piece?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Don't expect a 2+1 attack hero to take on more than 2 opponents at once.
In the new rules I would want the dwimmerlek around to stop people heroic striking and raising their fight above you.
Use might carefully. Sometimes charging is not as important as being able to do a heroic combat which kills 2 enemies and a hero.

Don't be afraid to lose a few. All hero armies are difficult to use but with practise you will get there
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So really the only way to avoid having more than 2 enemies getting into base contact with you is only charging into combat after your opponent has moved, so only when you don't have priority?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Jazlotus wrote:
So really the only way to avoid having more than 2 enemies getting into base contact with you is only charging into combat after your opponent has moved, so only when you don't have priority?

Or by charging yourself first to ensure that you get the charge (because enemies will wise up quickly that a wraith on beast charging probably will kill something, so won't deliberately move within that 12' distance).
- If you're having trouble with numbers, then consider using a wraith as bait to lead a chunk of soldiers away too.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

a few of tactics

1) if they get priority do a heroic (and dont call with me) with one wraith then when they charge them you can jump in with the rest and pull models off and do heroic combats to eat up more.

2) if you get priority compel a man out... twice.... and then charge him and then heroic combat into the rest.

3) if they get priority let them walk towards you, if there is a good combat situation then charge, else move back so you are more than 6 inch away.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I know what your saying, but its not always that simple, my opponent keeps all his warriors close together, so if you charge into 1 or 2, his other warriors are always gonna be in range to re charge my fell beast gaining more dice rolls to duel. Also if I compell them out I can't move his guy more than 6 inches away from his other warriors, know what I mean? I'm gonna keep trying to play my Fell Beast, but I think there real hard to play with.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I agree with jazlotus. I play he same opponent as him and as he said the wraith always gets taken out before it can deal any damage.
That being said it seems that perhaps more caution is needed on my part.
In theory the cell beast should be able to kill most enemies on contact but maybe I need to pick my targets more carefully rather than just rushing in.
Iv not got the new rules but maybe the new rules for monsters will help.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I did play Khamul. Can't really see how he is a fighting machine? The Betrayer looks better IMHO. Is the problem really because of only playing one? Would it be more beneficial playing two together? Transfixing 2 models ect....?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

cereal_theif wrote:
a few of tactics

1) if they get priority do a heroic (and dont call with me) with one wraith then when they charge them you can jump in with the rest and pull models off and do heroic combats to eat up more.

2) if you get priority compel a man out... twice.... and then charge him and then heroic combat into the rest.

3) if they get priority let them walk towards you, if there is a good combat situation then charge, else move back so you are more than 6 inch away.

What advise though when only playing one wraith on Fell Beast?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

...Caution!
When only using 1 fell beast you need to be cautious. Pick your moment. Dont rely on the fellbeast to win you the game.
Keep him near other might carrying models who can use their might to give him the charge and take advantage of compel/immobilise.
Dont be afraid to fly away.

I think the big thing most people need to learn is that a fellbeast will not win you the game every game. A good gamer can counter them.
My main opponent charged Bill (the troll) with the Knight of Umbar... that did not go well for him as I was already F7 so more than 50% of the time i can boost to fight 10. Yes he can mimik but I won't boost if he doesnt boost. I won teh combat. I used my special strike and gave him 4 wounds to worry about... dead nazgul. Where as if he had waited for a successful transfix first then I would have been worried.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice advice C-Thief. What balance do you have on magic to fighting? Would the Undying be good because of him having so much Will?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Undying is one of the best but even better if you have another caster or 2 around.

I would only use transfix really and even then only to take an advantage or stop a anoying hero.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next