All times are UTC

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 4:49 am

Post subject: House Rules: The Fiefdoms
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Having recently been inspired by >>>this thread<<< on The Last Alliance, to create a fiefdoms army using models that look the part, i realised that GW's fiefdom rules don't really do them justice, so i decided to make my own. That meant my first stop was the Return of the King, for the excellent couple of pages that described the armies sent to minas tirith, then the brief part about angbor, which tells us about the "real" armies of the Fiefdoms. I did research into medieval fishing (oh joy) and hunting techniques, and drew out as much information as I could from excerpts such as " gallant green-clad men." Here they are:

The Fiefdoms of Gondor

Lossarnach
Leading the line there came walking a big thick limbed horse, and on it sat a man of wide shoulders and huge girth, but old and grey bearded, yet mail clad and black helmeted and bearing a long heavy spear. Behind him marched proudly a dusty line of men, well armed and bearing great battle axes

Forlong the Fat
F...|S|D|A|W|C|M/W/F|Points
5/-|5|6|.2|2.|4|.3/1/1|60
Wargear
Forlong Carries a two-handed axe and wears heavy armour. At an additional cost he may ride a horse or wield his lance:

Horse 10pts
Lance 5pts

Axemen of Lossarnach
F...|S|D|A|W|C|Points
4/-|4|5|.1|1.|3|10

Wargear
Axemen of Lossarnach wear heavy armour and carry two-handed axes. They may also take a banner:

Banner 25pts

Special rules
Axemen of Lossarnach: the men of Lossarnach are famed for their use of great axes, and do not carry other weapons. If an axeman of Lossarnach does not fight with his two-handed axe he is considered to be unarmed.

The Lord of Lossarnach: Forlong commands great respect from his people. Because of this, his �Stand Fast!� affects all Axemen of Lossarnach within 12�/28cm

Ringl� Vale
The men of Ringl� Vale behind the son of their lord Dervorin striding on foot: three hundreds.

Lohír of the Ringló Vale
4/-|4|5|.2|2.|4|.3/1/1|55

Loh�r
Wargear
Loh�r carries a sword (hand weapon) and wears armour.

Dervorin of the Ringló Vale
4/-|4|5|.2|2.|4|.3/2/1|60

Wargear
Dervorin carries a sword (hand weapon) and wears armour.

Special rules
Faithful: Dervorin would never break an oath and leave the battlefield unless all was lost. He may re-roll one die when testing to see whether he flees the battlefield after the force is broken

Men of the Ringló Vale
F...|S|D|A|W|C |Points
3/-|3|4|.1|1.|3|6

Wargear

Men of the Ringl� Vale wear armour and carry hand weapons

Left behind to defend their homes from the barbaric corsairs, four thousand of these hardened warriors rode to Minas Tirith once their home had been saved by Isildur�s Heir.

Warriors of the Ringló Vale
F...|S|D|A|W|C |Points
3/-|3|5|.1|1.|3|7
Warriors of The Ringl� Vale carry swords (hand weapons) and shields. They also wear armour and may ride horses and carry a banner:

Horse 6pts
Banner 25pts

Special rules
The Lord of the Ringl� Vale: Loh�r commands great respect from his people. Because of this, his �Stand Fast!� affects all Warriors of the Ringl� Vale within 12�/28cm

Morthond
From the uplands of Morthond, the great Blackroot Vale, tall Duinhir with his sons, Duilin and Derufin, and five hundred bowmen.

Dervorin the Tall
F......|S|D|A|W|C|M/W/F|Points
4/3+|4|4|.2|2.|4|.3/1/1|60

Wargear
Duinhir carries a longbow (Elf Bow)

Special rules
The Archers of Morthond: As the commander of the archers of Morthond, Duinhir is well used to commanding ranged combat. Because of this, he does not have to expend a Might point to call a Heroic Shoot action, although he may not use Might for the duration of the turn. If he chooses to expend a Might point as normal, this restriction does not apply.

Duilin
4/3+|4|4|.1|1.|4|.1/2/1|30

Wargear
Duilin carries a longbow (Elf Bow)

Special rules
Brave, but Foolish: Not afraid to take on even the mighty Mumakil, Duilin gains +2 courage when attempting to charge a terrifying enemy.

Derufin
4/3+|4|4|.1|1.|4|.1/2/1|30

Wargear
Derufin carries a longbow (Elf Bow)

Special rules
Brave, but Foolish: Not afraid to take on even the mighty Mumakil, Derufin gains +2 courage when attempting to charge a terrifying enemy.

Archers of Morthond
F......|S|D|A|W|C|Points
3/4+|3|3|.1|1.|3|8

Wargear
Archers of Morthond carry Longbows (Elven Bows)

Special rules
Bowmen: Preferring to attack from range, the Archers of Morthond do not carry hand-weapons so are considered unarmed when fighting in close combat.

Left behind to defend their homes from the barbaric corsairs, four thousand of these hardened warriors rode to Minas Tirith once their home had been saved by Isildur�s Heir.

Warriors of Morthond
F...|S|D|A|W|C|Points
3/-|3|5|.1|1.|3|7
Wargear
Warriors of Morthond carry swords (hand weapons) and shields. They also wear armour and may ride horses and carry a banner:

Horse 6pts
Banner 25pts

Special rules
The Lord of Morthond: Duinhir commands great respect from his people. Because of this, his �Stand Fast!� affects all Warriors of Morthond within 12�/28cm

Anfalas
From the Anfalas, the Langstrand far away a long line of men of many sorts, hunters and herdsmen and men of little villages, scantily equipped save for the household of Golasgil their lord.

Golasgil
4/-|4|4|.2|2.|4|.3/1/1|55
Wargear
Golasgil carries a sword (hand weapon) and shield and wears armour.

Household Guard
F...|S|D|A|W|C| Points
4/-|3|5|.1|1.|3|9
Wargear
Household guard carry swords (hand weapons) and shields and wear armour.

Special rules
Bodyguard: As long as Golasgil is alive and on the table, Household Guard automatically pass all Courage tests they are required to take. If Golasgil is killed or leaves the table, the Household Guard revert to the normal rules for courage.

Hunters of Anfalas
F......|S|D|A|W|C| Points
3/4+|3|3|.1|1.|2|5
Wargear
Hunters carry daggers and may purchase the following at additional cost:

Boar Spear 2pts
Shortbow 1pt

Hunters carry daggers and may purchase the following at additional cost:

Special Rules
Boar Spear: Designed to stop a charging boar, the wings on the heads of boar spears allow their wielders to hook the shields of enemies. Enemies in combat with hunters wielding boar spears may not use the shielding rule, or benefit from the +1 defence granted by their shields. These may also be used in the same way as other spears to support enemy models, but if this is the case then they do not benefit from this special rule.

Herdsmen of Anfalas
F...|S|D|A|W|C| Points
2/-|3|3|.1|1.|2|4

Wargear
Herdsmen carry thin staves or crooks, ill suited to combat. They may purchase a “Herdsman’s Hound” at additional cost:

Herdsman’s Hound 5pts

Special Rules
Herdsman’s Crook: Although a crook is a better weapon than nothing, it is not a weapon designed to meet a blade. To represent this, a crook counts as a hand weapon and may be used as such until the wielder loses a combat, in which case his weapon breaks and he is considered to be unarmed from that point onwards.

Herdsman’s Hound: A herdsman’s dog is incredibly loyal and obedient. When its master is alive and on the table, a herdsman’s hound will automatically pass courage tests taken for when the force is broken, but will automatically fail courage tests taken to charge a terrifying enemy – it is loyal, not stupid. If the herdsman dies or leaves the table, his dog flees the battlefield and is removed as a casualty. A hound moves 8”/20cm
Herdsman’s Hound
F...|S|D|A|W|C
3/-|3|3|.1|1.|2

Lamedon
And there men of Lamedon contested the fords with fell folk of Umbar and Harad who had sailed up the river. But defenders and foes alike gave up battle and fled when we came, crying out that the King of the Dead was upon them. Only Angbor, Lord of Lamedon, had the heart to abide us.

Angbor the Fearless
4/-|4|6|.1|1.|5|.3/3/1|65

Wargear
Angbor carries a sword (hand weapon) and a shield and wears armour. At additional cost he may ride a horse:

Horse 10pts

Special Rules
Fearless: Alone amongst the men of the Fiefdoms and the corsairs, Angbor did not flee before the army of the dead. To represent this, he may re-roll failed courage tests.

From Lamedon, a few grim hillmen without a captain. Fisher-folk of the Ethir, some hundred or more spared from the ships.

Fisherfolk of Lamedon
F...|S|D|A|W|C|Points
2/-|3|3|.1|1.|2|4

Wargear
Fisherfolk of Lamedon are unarmed, although they may have the following at addition cost:

Fishing Spear (spear) 1pt
Special Rules
Fishing Spear: Designed to snag large fish, the barbed head of a fishing spear will cause tremendous damage when removed from an enemy. If a model fighting with a fishing spear successfully wins a combat, the model being wounded takes double strikes, in the same way as he would if he model was trapped or knocked to the ground. This affect is cumulative. Unfortunately, as fishing spear is not designed for fighting, it may be used until the wielder loses a combat, in which case his weapon breaks and he is considered to be unarmed from that point onwards.

Warriors of Lamedon
F...|S|D|A|W|C|Points
3/-|3|5|.1|1.|3|7
Wargear
Warriors of Lamedon carry swords (hand weapons) and shields. They also wear armour and may ride horses and carry a banner:

Horse 6pts
Banner 25pts

Special rules
The Lord of Lamedon: Angbor commands great respect from his people. Because of this, his �Stand Fast!� affects all Warriors of Lamedon within 12�/28cm

Pinnath Gelin
Hirluin the fair of the Green Hills from Pinnath Gelin with three hundreds of gallant green-clad men.

Hirluin the Fair
4/-|4|4|.2|2.|5|.3/2/1|60
Wargear
Hirluin carries a Two-handed weapon and a dagger.

Special rules
Hillman: As the lord of the 175 mile stretch of hills known as Pinnath Gelin (Green Hills), Hirluin is well used to difficult terrain. He counts as a Woodland Creature.

Hillmen of Pinnath Gelin
F...|S|D|A|W|C| Points
3/-|3|3|.1|1.|4|60
Wargear
Hillmen of Pinnath Gelin carry two-handed weapons and daggers.

Special rules
Hillmen: Living in the 175 mile stretch of hills known as Pinnath Gelin (Green Hills), Hillmen of Pinnath Gelin are well used to difficult terrain. They count as Woodland Creatures.

The Lord of Pinnath Gelin: Hirluin commands great respect from his people. Because of this, his “Stand Fast!” affects all Hillmen of Pinnath Gelin within 12”/28cm

Dol Amroth

Last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the Lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses; and behind them seven hundreds of men at arms, tall as lords, grey eyed, dark haired, singing as they came.

As i would change little of nothing about the rules of Imrahil and the SKoDA, they can't be put here (well they could, but a profile with all *s is slightly pointless). Just imagine Imrahil and SKoDA unchanged in the gap. The captain can go hang though

Men-at-arms of Dol Amroth
F...|S|D|A|W|C| Points
3/-|3|5|.1|1.|3|8
Wargear
Men-at-arms of Dol Amroth wear heavy armour and carry swords (hand weapons). They may also have the following:

Pike 1pt
Shield 1pt
Spear 1pt
Banner 25pts

Special rules
Dol Amroth for Gondor!

So what do you think? C&C welcomed and appreciated! Hit me with your views and my typos!
PS, sorry if you get weird codes on the screen instead of these óé

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

four things come to my mind when reeding this,
1) forlong the fat seems underpriced (I would make him 65 points).
2) Why would a men at arms take a spear if they can have a pike for the same price?
3) I don't like the weapons braking after the fight is lost, this would becoume to hard to keep track of (and you/you're opponent are going to have lots of fights about that one key model's spear)
4) well done :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

joris267 wrote:
four things come to my mind when reeding this,
1) forlong the fat seems underpriced (I would make him 65 points).

sounds like a reasonable suggestion.
Quote:
2) Why would a men at arms take a spear if they can have a pike for the same price?

because if he has a pike he can't have a shield
Quote:
3) I don't like the weapons braking after the fight is lost, this would becoume to hard to keep track of (and you/you're opponent are going to have lots of fights about that one key model's spear)
it wouldn't be too difficult to have a marker or paint a number under the base and write down if they are lost
Quote:
4) well done :yay:
thankyou!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

giving it another thought, maybe instead of the breaking weapons thing you could have something like:

untrained

these warriors have none or close to none fighting skill and experience, this isn't noticed when fighting other untrained warriors but when fighting veterans there lack of skill gets obvious. to represent this they count as unarmed whenever fighting an enemy with F4 or higher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i like that, but i think make it F3, as that is the standard stat for a trained warrior. in reality, an untrained warrior has no chance against a trained one, but stands a chance against a goblin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

if you make it F3 they're almost always "unarmed" I thing making it against F4 they have at least some chanse of being "armed"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

that's the point though - they are supposed to be useless at fighting - they are herders, not warriors!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

but they should have some use at least, otherwise why use them?
you could also have them have -1 to wound (6 always is 6) because they have a stick, no sword.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If they are herders give them large wooden sticks (two handed weapon). Added to this perhaps a -1 modifier to win the fight accumulative with the two handed rule if fighting fight 4 or higher models

The other stats are pretty cool. I'd like to see more special rules for the characters however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

lorderkenbrand wrote:
If they are herders give them large wooden sticks (two handed weapon). Added to this perhaps a -1 modifier to win the fight accumulative with the two handed rule if fighting fight 4 or higher models

that is the best idea i have read so far.

Quote:
The other stats are pretty cool. I'd like to see more special rules for the characters however.
like what? there is very little to go on and i would rather not venture too far into GW's realm of mindless made up garbage.