All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:51 am

Post subject: Using Mordor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i like playing with mordor, but every time i play w/ them i lose. how can i use them properly so that i can win? the problem is i cant make a horde cause i have mostly morannon orcs.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:45 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well, there's your answer :)

You either need to pair them with uruks to win more fights, or pair them with orcs to get more dice. Or stick a Shade in their midst so your enemy's fight roll goes down. Or get some warg riders to harry their flanks. Or ally with Harad and get some decent bowmen and cavalry. Or...

Possibilities are endless. Hard to know since it could be your army, or how you play, or a combo. Curious to know what you'll decide.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Even though their fight value is mediocre, Morannon orcs are pretty elite as far as Mordor goes. I would suggest pairing them up with their lesser orc brethren for numbers.

But whafrog is right. Mordor has an incredible amount of versatility, and it may or may not have to do with your list. What do you usually field? That can help us help you.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'd put a wraith in if u haven't already
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Do you fin yourself in similar situatuion..

You manage to kill of the enemys troops and have decent numbers of your left but its not enough to kill the enemy hero(the last man standing)

am I right? :rofl:

As noted above a Nazgyl is the Best choise to lead your troops :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mouth of Sauron is right. its that last hero that i just can't kill. usually what i do is put in a shaman to help with their courage and back them up with a troll and some mordor uruks. i was thinking i could solve the problem by sticking an orc drummer and a captain to provided even better leadership. i thought this would be a pretty good idea, so tell me if it wouldn't work.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you aren't using many, if any, heroes. A shaman is great, but he's for support not leadership, same with Trolls. You need one or more to lead the army and take opportunities for heroic moves and combat. 1 Might per 100 points of troops is a good rule of thumb.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ya thats why i wanted to add a morannon captain or two. that way i have some leaders and a realiable way to take out enemy heroes.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Morranon Orc and Mordor Orc captains are good for killing enemy troops and such but again they will be weak against good heros. you need a hero like Shagrat Warleader or Gothmog on Warg with shield to lead your army and destroy enemy heros. Keep a troll close to your hero, keep it in combats with that hero so that it will benefit from the heroic moves/combats etc and you will kick butt.

You can use a wraith if you like magic - they are good for pestering enemy forces but I find them useless unless they are mounted on a fell beast which tends to intimidate your opponant. Problem with that is they really need to fight to earn their points - then, well they dissapear when the will runs out!

Mordor is a fantastic army to play - you have more options than any other army in the game and is used right you can beat anything on a good day! Stick with it - try new things and use what works for you. Remember though the key to Mordor is strong leadership of a BIG hoarde - so get a good hero, a troll and the rest should be troops. Don't get sucked into all the flashy bits that dont really do much!!

DM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Why don't you create a thread in the Army Help section and tell us what you have. We can help you make an effective army.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I agree with a lot of what has been said. For 500 points a good combo is a named Ringwraith (usually the Shadow Lord) and a named hero (Gorbag, Shagrat ect...). This will give you 5 Might, decent leadership, and magic to counter enemy heroes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

DM wrote:
You can use a wraith if you like magic - they are good for pestering enemy forces but I find them useless unless they are mounted on a fell beast which tends to intimidate your opponant. Problem with that is they really need to fight to earn their points - then, well they dissapear when the will runs out!

You're joking, right?
On foot they can usually draw LOS to most heroes, and it's almost guaranteed if they're on a horse. Pestering isn't really the word for what they do to enemy heroes- it's more like "crippling" or "neutralizing."
They do NOT need to fight to earn their points. Use their might for heroic actions. The Harbinger of Evil rule in itself is worth half of their points. They provide a courage 6 stand fast. And when a 70 point wraith makes 265 point King Elessar useless with a transfix round after round until he's swarmed and killed, that's making back points. When they drop Gil-galad to courage 1 and watch him run when the force is broken, that's making back points.
Worth is not measured in bodies.

So use a 55-70 point ringwraith if you're having trouble with that pesky hero, Locust Scar. Transfix a hero, put in a Morannon Captain, and watch his Strength 5 lay down the hurt. The wraiths are so much more useful than many players (especially newer ones) give them credit for.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:55 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I haven't used wraiths much yet. Just got my first model, the Shadow Lord. Used him as a stand-in for Khamul the other day and it worked out pretty well, but he was mostly fighting. I was wary of using up the Will dice.

Looking forward to trying wraiths more often (when the other people I play with let me play Evil...)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Khamul is that exception. His spells are a little harder to toss but he can sustain himself in combat, so that's more his role. Don't be afraid, though. Drain courage and Transfix should be all you cast with him, and they're not too tough to get off. You have to find a balance between combat and spells with him.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:46 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
but I find them useless unless they are mounted on a fell beast which tends to intimidate your opponant. Problem with that is they really need to fight to earn their points

That gave me a very good laughter as our good ol General said they are the things that "neutalize" and are in the end the "cause" of the opponents main herose death...

The only time I find a Nazgyl (somewhat) useless is when your opponent is fielding lots of captainsa and you get disoriented which one to cast your spell on and etc.

But they are basically the best leaders for any mordor army.

1.Cast a lot of "easy to cast spells" like Transfix and Drain Courage (on the vitim, the main opponents hero that is)
2.Wait till hes will runs out (from resisting those spells)
3.TRANSFIX him
4.Send in the orcs or troll or Shagrat or what so ever and enjoy the fire works :-D

Ofc. the theory is always easy but the Nazgyl are basically the best you've got in your arsenal against herose :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:10 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You could also post what you have to field.
I am sure that if the people know waht you have they could help you better making a good list.

Personally, I like Mordor because of it's balance.
Maybe that's something to keep in mind?
8)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I suppos if u were playing a 450 point game, u could really annoy your opponent and put Sauron in with the one ring. He's nearly invincible, awesome spells, can take out tons of troops in one round of combat. So he is ur annoying option.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Haradrim Raider wrote:
I suppos if u were playing a 450 point game, u could really annoy your opponent and put Sauron in with the one ring. He's nearly invincible, awesome spells, can take out tons of troops in one round of combat. So he is ur annoying option.

Of course, this won't work for LoMe legal games, as you need a minimum of 3 models...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Not to mention he'd lose almost every scenario, with the exception of To Kill a King and Contest of Champions.
Also, nobody would ever play you again because it's just annoying and no fun. Your goal shouldn't be to [word deleted] off your opponent.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

General Haar wrote:
DM wrote:

You're joking, right?
On foot they can usually draw LOS to most heroes, and it's almost guaranteed if they're on a horse. Pestering isn't really the word for what they do to enemy heroes- it's more like "crippling" or "neutralizing."
They do NOT need to fight to earn their points. Use their might for heroic actions. The Harbinger of Evil rule in itself is worth half of their points. They provide a courage 6 stand fast. And when a 70 point wraith makes 265 point King Elessar useless with a transfix round after round until he's swarmed and killed, that's making back points. When they drop Gil-galad to courage 1 and watch him run when the force is broken, that's making back points.
Worth is not measured in bodies.

So use a 55-70 point ringwraith if you're having trouble with that pesky hero, Locust Scar. Transfix a hero, put in a Morannon Captain, and watch his Strength 5 lay down the hurt. The wraiths are so much more useful than many players (especially newer ones) give them credit for.

Sorry. obviosly my 100's of games and tournament placings with Mordor don't qualify me for an opinion.
:P

Mordor has enough scope within its ranks that you can win games without magic as long as you dont have magic in the opisition force! As I said I like to have my Wraiths on a Fell Beast so they can be more mobile, intimidating and be able to bowl over a few enemy in the mean time.