All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:30 pm

Post subject: Elven Stormcaller
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Has anyone used one of these guy in battle? If so how effective is he in battle? Is he worth the points? Please any advice is welcome
 Post subject: Re: Elven Stormcaller
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

He is great against all the different "brutes" that evil players can use, call winds can keep a troll away from your frontlines for up to two turns and natures wrath is always useful. I have used him twice, in one game i was defending a fort, i placed him right behin the gate and cast natures wrath, it really paid off and got 4/5 half trolls killed :) In the other game he wasn't as much use :( he did stop a chieftan getting into my frontline but only managed to cast natures wrath once. In both instances i was using him as an ally for dwarves and i'd say he did pay off, if i were making an elven army and had to choose between him and a captain, i would choose him. Im actually thinking of bringing one to the GT in the rare occasion i come up against a troll or similair monster
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I've played a few games with one. Most of the time it feels justified, since the knockdown can wreak a lovely havoc. (Though I had one game where I was able to call three Nature's Wrath in a row with 10 or more opponent models down, and did not get a single wound on them despite the double dice. Talk about pointless...)
I've never used call winds though, it hasn't seemed worth it.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:27 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've used one a few times, I had similar problems to whafrog and not causing wounds, but that's just bad luck, rarely used call winds, but once or twice I've blown away an opposing shaman who had fury, just to make everyone take tests :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Natures wrath is worth double when there are cavalry around

The wind one I've used to blow trolls away... they cant resist it!
When used alongside another caster it is doubly worth it.
Gandalf wants to compel Gothmog away from the main battle line to shoot him or surround him, so first the stormcaller blows his windy bum. If gothmog doesnt resist by by warg mount, if he does then its will used up.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Alot of people claim a well made force can resist natures wrath because there will be someone to resist it but in a 700pt game it isn't difficult to find somewhere in the enemy battle line that lacks a hero capable of resisting natures wrath. On many occasions i have cast the spell at a point where a ringwraith will be standing a millimeter away from the cast zone and thus unable to resist the spell. That is why i love area of effect spells, the system which allows you to cast at any point during a move means you can find a spot along a models intended route and cast at a point where maximum wrath will be caused, then run in and get a cheap kill.