All times are UTC

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 4:33 am

Post subject: Bought some Khand
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'd been avoiding them, but found out they can switch between 2H and normal weapons. So woohoo! A king in a chariot, a chieftain foot and mounted, a box of horse and a box of warriors. Too bad those flags are so big, you only get 10 warriors. Also bought some easterling horse to go with my easterling capt and 20 warriors.

(Speaking of flags...how would anybody fight with those things on their back? A good wind and it's in your face...but I digress...)

There's no real point to this post, I'm just looking forward to painting and fielding them.

Curious how well the chariot will work, being a monstrous mount. Any advice on fielding it?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As simple as it sounds, keep it charging, and don't get charged - the king's might might help out there.

Post subject: Re: Bought some Khand
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
(Speaking of flags...how would anybody fight with those things on their back? A good wind and it's in your face...but I digress...)

I left the banners off of mine and filled the holes with green stuff. Looks a lot better in my mind.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:55 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

King Dain Ironfoot wrote:
I left the banners off of mine and filled the holes with green stuff. Looks a lot better in my mind.

Good advice, I might do that. I've always appreciated the realism of most of the models, but these and those Harad serpent guys...they should get -1 on their fight roll for carrying that load on their backs.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:43 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well If your playing house-rules you could take that in mind? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Having actually used Khandish (on foot), I found them to be poor in the winning fights category (lack of spears). I think they may work as an add-on for Easterlings/Harad (who lack TH but have spears), or used with the khanish cavalry/chariots. Also use both Kings (chariot and foot), so as to have a large courage/banner area, in order to counter the spear/pike block.

BTW I think the banners idea came from the Japanese, who used them to tell what side warriors were on (like carrying your coat of arms on your shield). But yes, it would get in the way.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:21 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Having recently acquired the much needed Khandish Chariots I was after (all 2 of them, as well as a further 6 and a King) I'm contemplating doing a fully mounted Khandish army.

Still -2 for a banner and two-handed weapon?

I hope they all get to re-roll in that case or you won't be winning many fights...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
King Dain Ironfoot wrote:

Good advice, I might do that. I've always appreciated the realism of most of the models, but these and those Harad serpent guys...they should get -1 on their fight roll for carrying that load on their backs.

Samurai and Polish winged hussars fought with back banners so why not Khand? I think they look good and imposing, the problem is that they fall over easily.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'd never remove tgh banners, they look great!! and haven't you seen "The last Samurai" movie? it's not that hard to move with.

as for the tipping over issue I experience this too, but I glued apiece of metal flash to the bottom of the base (front side ) to balance tghe banner's weight and it works fine for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Haven't seen Last Samurai, but forgot about those Hussars...I'll have to do more research...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The hussarias' wings were relatively light and static but it is true that many samurai fought with small banners on their back. I personally like the look of them on the Khand and I would follow the advice of gluing some metal flash on the bottom of the base to act as a counter weight.