All times are UTC

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:45 pm

Post subject: Citizens and more . . .
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It is quite possible to get your hands on some citizen models if you already haven't, and I'm quite sure they could add something to any siege or village game. I have made some profiles for some basic civilians (including medics, men, women and children) with their own special rules.

Man Civilian

Points Cost: 4

Movement: 6"

F S D A W C
2/5+ 3 2 1 1 2

A man comes armed with any piece of sharp equipment he can get hands on (counts as a hand weapon).

Upgrades:

Heavy two handed sword : 1 Point (May only be used as a two handed weapon and reduces a mans movement by 1)

Special Rules:

Throw Rocks : If a man civilian hasn't moved at all in the movement phase, he may stoop down and throw a rock in the shoot phase. This works like a bow with a range of 6", and a strength of 1.

Protector: A man has a hero's standfast, but this only works for women and child civilians. This is to represent them protecting their wives and sisters.

Points cost: 3

Movement: 6"

F S D A W C
2/5+ 2 3 1 1 2

A woman civilian comes armed with any piece of sharp equipment she can get her hands on (counts as a hand weapon).

Upgrades:

Frying Pan: 2 points (This can be used as a two handed... or a one handed weapon, like an elven blade.)

Special Rules:

Throw Rocks: (see man civilian profile).

Child Civilian

Movement: 5"

Points Cost: 3

F S D A W C
1/5+ 2 2 1 1 1

A child civilian counts as being unarmed.

Special Rules:

Throw Rocks: (see profile for man civilian).

Tease: Child Civilians may be unarmed, but they are certainly capable of saying some very nasty things that could easily distract the enemy. A child civilian that calls a 'tease' in the movement phase can nominate an enemy within 10 inches. Roll a dice. On a 2+, these tease has worked succesfully. The nominated target has -1 to wound in the following fight phase, and -1 to movement. On a roll of a 1 , nothing happens and the enemy simply carries on.

Medic

Points Cost : 8

Movement : 6"

F S D A W C
1/- 3 2 1 1 4

A medic is armed with a sharp saw. (counts as a hand weapon).

Special Rules:

Medic: Medics are able to rush round the battlefield with ease, healing their comrades where ever help is needed. If a medic is in base contact with a warrior , hero or civilian when they are wounded on a roll of 4+ the wound is ignored. This works the same way as a fate roll. This can be used in addition to normal fate. Note that if an enemy warrior is in combat with both a medic and a warrior/hero/civilian , then he always has to wound the warrior/hero/civilian, and the medics attacks are not contributed to the fight.

That is pretty much it for house rules. I hope you weren't bored reading them.. and they made alright sense :) Feedback would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Theonekoolness on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

These people fight and throw as well as warriors, and farther than Hobbits. Most warriors can't throw more than 6". I'd say their fight/shoot should be 2/5+, and throwing range of 6".

Not sure why the frying pan is 5 points.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the advice. I mainly put the frying pan there for 5 points as it works like 'Drain Soul'. Now thinking about it, it's only useful against heroes.. and there's not much of a chance to win the fight anyway. I'll adjust their stats, but I still want to give Women Civilians a special rule of their own. What do you think?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

you could say the give a stand fast to all nearby men, as they do not want to dissapoint their wives by running away (and because they will have to sleep on the couch for quite a while if that happens) :P

this was just my thought, do as you please :wink:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've adjusted the rules for the man and the frying pan. See what you think..
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It just wouldn't happen in most places, really. In Rohan, most men were part of an Eored, so it would only have been the elderly (and not even all of them; see Gamling and Erkenbrand) and in Gondor, almost all of the civilians were sent away from Minas Tirith before the siege. Well, in the book anyway. PJ apparently has a nasty habit of liking to watch women and children die or something... :shock:

Anyway, I'd try for Bree citizens instead. It would be a cool and themed little force and could include Dunedain and Hobbits. Even some wandering Dwarves!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think defense shouldn't be more than 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

MuslimRohirrim wrote:
I think defense shouldn't be more than 2.

A Man's base Defence is 3. And thus it should stay, I think. All Man-sized creatures barring Hobbits and Dwarves have a base of 3.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've kept the base defence of a man at 3. But.. is there anything else you would change?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I shall make the children 3 points otherwise the are overpowered with the tease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:44 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

King Dain Ironfoot wrote:
A Man's base Defence is 3. And thus it should stay, I think. All Man-sized creatures barring Hobbits and Dwarves have a base of 3.

Yeah, but that's for a Man warrior, not a baker. A hero's base defense is 4, not because he has skin like an elephant, but because he's better at avoiding wounds even with no armour. I'd put the Def back to 2 to reflect lack of training :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:

Yeah, but that's for a Man warrior, not a baker. A hero's base defense is 4, not because he has skin like an elephant, but because he's better at avoiding wounds even with no armour. I'd put the Def back to 2 to reflect lack of training :)

Seconded.

Unless it's the Elephant Man...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Valid point Whafrog.. i'll change it now.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ok, well what use will these be if they die when gusted upon by a strong breeze? I know they're scenario-specific, but as I pointed out before, there aren't many scenarios where they'd fit in.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If players want to use their civilian models then they can, and as you can see i've made up some stats. That doesn't mean you have to use them, but they're there if you want them.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ok, well what use will these be if they die when gusted upon by a strong breeze? I know they're scenario-specific, but as I pointed out before, there aren't many scenarios where they'd fit in.

Maybe the scenario is you have to save them. Or how about the warg attack on the way to Helm's Deep? They can fight if necessary, but you really don't want them to.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

whafrog wrote:
Maybe the scenario is you have to save them. Or how about the warg attack on the way to Helm's Deep? They can fight if necessary, but you really don't want them to.

Those are excellent ideas.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:41 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

whafrog wrote:
Maybe the scenario is you have to save them.

It will be scenario specific of course IMO, similar to the first scenario of the TTT journey book "scouring of the westfold". with a twist they could take more part in a scenario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

There are a lot more scenes of villagers/ civilians being attacked in the films than the books, I think. Let's count them:

Scouring of the Westfold: Mentioned, but not shown really.

Warg attack on the way to Helm's Deep: Created for the film.

Fighting in the caves behind Helm's Deep (deleted scene): Created for the film; Gimli, Aragorn and Eomer push the Orcs out of the Glittering Caves in the book.

Siege of Minas Tirith: All civilians were evacuated well before the siege happened in the books. Unlike the films, there weren't old peasants being cut down by Orcs in the streets of the White City (Sauron's forces didn't even make it past the gate)

I'm not saying it wouldn't be an enjoyable game, however. It just depends on if you need to keep ALL the civilians alive :wink:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:19 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm not saying it wouldn't be an enjoyable game, however. It just depends on if you need to keep ALL the civilians alive :wink:

agreed.

A suggested scenario could be similar to a reversed position "Scouring of The Westfold" with the evil guys small distance away from the center of the board (where villagers are) ready to kill them all. villager's are not allowed to leave certain range from the center of the board. good army deployed at board's edge trying to race down to the center to save the villagers, so villagers have to fight for their lives till help comes (may be 2 or 3 normal warriors are allowd to deploy among villagers to give them a better chance hanging on). The rest of the evil army is not deployed but comes in later as reinforcement form one edge after rolling a 4+ starting on certain turn. Objectives: how many villagers survives at the end of the battle decides the outcome.

The challenge IMO will be balancing the armies. Especially the villagers against the scouts at the center to give the evil army a slight advantage and the villagers a chance to fight back at the same time.