All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:46 am

Would you use these profiles ?
Yes 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
No 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Good assassins and Heavy Cavalry...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've been toying with the idea of new stats for some stuff:
Master Assassin (man) 155p [Good Model]

These assassins claim to have travelled to the far east and south, though most of the higher class of society don't believe them, though the katana and the shruiken are more then enough proof to state that he has.
F 6/2+
S 4
D 5
A 3
W 2
C 5
M/W/F 3/0/3
Carries daggers of ancient Numenor, shruiken, katana and leather armour.

Daggers of Ancient Numenor: These daggers were forged in ancient days when the Numenorian society was at its peak, when an assassin use thes daggers in combat, they have -1 attack but have a bane on all evil things bar evil men, +1 to wound orcs, uruks, wargs, spirits, trolls and chariots.

Shruiken: When thrown these shruiken swirl through the air in a spiral pattern, counts as a throwing weapon with a range of 25cm and the strenght of the thrower, e.g. S4 throws a S4 weapon, S3 throws a S3 weapon etc. Due to the spiral pattern when thrown, these weapons scatter when thrown over 20cm, scattering within 5cm of the intended target, it cannot hit good models, and if there is no other models within 5cm it hits the original target.

Katana:These weapons are so masterly crafted that no one recieves bonuses for shields, and can either be wielded 2 handed or single handed.

As Fleeting as the Shadows: These assassins are so fast and silent that they can move 2D6cm in the move phase, but may not charge.

Assassin Warrior 30p

These warriors are the apprentices of the Master Assassins, and have taken the roll of gaurdian of all the enemies of the Dark Lord.

F 5/4+
S 3
D 4
A 2
W 1
C 4

Carries a Katana and leather armour

Katana: See Master Assassin

As Fleeting as the Shadows: See Master Assassin
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

[quote=Gandalf the Black]

As Fleeting as the Shadows: These assassins are so fast and silent that they can move 2D6cm in the move phase, but may not charge.

[/quote]

Considering the fact that a standard soldier can move 14cm, and be able to charge, I don't think I'll use such a model :no:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I really like the Assasin Warrior profile, :-D 8) but I think the Master Assasin is a little over-powered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Isn't it strange that I can see the good assassin, but the heavy cavalry remains completely out of sight...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Too many special rules..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

No way I'd spend 155 points on a 2 wound model. 30 points for a 1 wound model is stretching it, he's not effective until he's at close range, and he can easily be shot. Other similarly priced models have decent ranged attacks and fate (RotN), or an elf cloak and worthwhile magic (Sentinel).

Having no Will makes the Master an easy target for wraiths or shamen. Shooting as well as a several thousand year old elf seems a bit much. Fighting as well as the "greatest huntsman of his age" is also unnecessary.

I'm not sure what the point of the daggers is, because using the katana 2-handed gives the same penalties and bonuses, plus ignores shields. Speaking of which, a katana never ignored shields in real life, not sure why it would here. Taking away the fight penalty when used 2-handed is a very nice bonus that reflects a katana's superior craftmanship, and way simpler than recalculating an effect against the other guy's stats.

Shuriken rules are too complicated. Str equivalent idea is a bit strong, simply extending their range (say 20cm like hobbits) lets them get an extra shot in before being charged.

Fleetfoot has potential, but how about just giving +2cm movement and an elf cloak equivalent? Much simpler.

The brilliant thing about SBG (which took me a long while to get) was how much tactical weight a small tweak had. Focusing on that rather than uberizing stats and weapons is a better way to go IMHO.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm still working on the heavy cavalry gaarew.
I find all the rules for the Master Assassin work very well in a Gondorian army, what if when the battle starts you select one enemy hero and the Assassin must, if possible charge them, if not possible, move normally. If he or someone else kills the nominated hero the Assassin's strength is boosted to 6 but his defence is reduced to 2. maybe

With the heavy cavalry I was thinking that they would be armoured horses, like easterling kataphrackts, and only move 20cm,
monstrous mount > heavy cavalry > cavalry > infanty
I was thinking heavy cavalry should get +1 attack when charging cavalry, don't know about knockdown, and when charging infantry knockdown, +1 attack, and +1 to wound ?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A katana wielder has a DISadvantage against someone using a shield...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:17 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yes, I know, I was just trying to think of some suitably ninja-ihs weapon and a katana was the only thing that came to mind. :(
Can someone please help and try to think of a new name? 8)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nothing a ninja has can cancel out the bonus for a shield. Ninjas were made for quick, stealthy strikes against lightly or unarmored opponents. A shield will always be a problem for them.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I know that he would have a disadvantage in real life, but this is LotR, in real life if you had a massive block of soldiers charging at a shieldwall, backed up by pikes, you will probably get through, in LotR, the first rank would get trapped and slaughtered.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:04 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Gandalf the Black wrote:
I know that he would have a disadvantage in real life, but this is LotR, in real life if you had a massive block of soldiers charging at a shieldwall, backed up by pikes, you will probably get through, in LotR, the first rank would get trapped and slaughtered.

The rules already take that into account, because a model can not make way for a model "making way".
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:11 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Gandie, I think you're fighting a losing battle, here is a profile, sort of like that Harad Assasin dude mine will be.

Master Assasin: 100

F: 5/3+
S: 4
D: 4
A: 2
W: 2
C: 5
M: 2
W: 2
F: 2

Wargear: has Katana (boy I love these) throwing daggers, and a helluva lot of experience.

Focused on his target: the Assasin will stop at nothing to kill his target, for this he must choose a hero at the start of the game and he must kill that hero before the game ends, if he fails he counts as a casulty, and he also dosen't give a standfast, yet if he kills his target he gets to increase one of his stats by one.

Katana: he can use as a 1 handed or 2 handed weapon, does not recieve -1 in fight though

Unseen: counts as wearing an elf cloak

Bane of infantry: all attacks against infantry with defence 4 or less get a plus one to wound when the Assasin attacks them, though if the person has a shield than this rule does not come into effect and the Assasin suffers a -1 to wound shield armed infantry.

Agile: cannot be knocked down by horses, and cannot be trapped while standing.

Hows that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Snowy wrote:
yet if he kills his target he gets to increase one of his stats by one.

Why? Does he eat their heart? Or is this more like the Highlander effect?

Snowy wrote:
Agile: cannot be knocked down by horses, and cannot be trapped while standing.

So he can still be knocked down by Sorcerous blasts, monstrous mounts and so on then?

What about Wargs? Or Camels? Why do they knock him down when horses don't?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Snowy wrote:
Katana: he can use as a 1 handed or 2 handed weapon, does not receive -1 in fight though

What's the point in being able to use it one handed, when using it two handed is so much better? I'd suggest giving +1 attack when using it one handed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Whiskas wrote:
Snowy wrote:
Katana: he can use as a 1 handed or 2 handed weapon, does not receive -1 in fight though

What's the point in being able to use it one handed, when using it two handed is so much better? I'd suggest giving +1 attack when using it one handed.
2handed can't be supported by spears or pikes