All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:58 am

Post subject: House Rule Mods for Larger SBGs? (or any other mods)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I know the obvious answer to this question is 'yeah, GW and its called WoTR', but i was wondering whether any forum members had developed any house rule mods for SBG for larger battles (or to generally improve game play).
Ive had a look at the WoTR rules (although i havent played a game with them yet), and im not sure whether its habit, how they are written or something but im not too impressed by them (or with the whole 'stick em in a tray' approach and the way that the new rules just ignore the whole Legions of Middle Earth book).
Im willing to be proved wrong on this, but at the moment i'd prefer to stick with SBG and so would be interested in any other mods etc out there
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Havent herd of any, the one thing what I have heard though how to hit the numbers hight, is to make movement faster (increasing the distance) and also add +1 or +2 to wound chart...

That could increase the timing via reducing the time taken for moving around and dieing :rofl:

Cheers

MoS :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

One thing i was thinking about was

1. to try and do close combat like it 40k, i.e.
a troll and 3 Uruks hit a line, roll for the number of attacks, then the defender rolls, work out how many are higher and then do the roll to wound/kill and then the defender gets to take off the troops that have been killed. Also, only do the 'back 1" rule if over 50% of the attacks hit)

2. Maybe also do morale checks like in 40k

3. maybe do a terror rule for those facing cavalry, if the cavalry outnumber by a certain proportion.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

pangloss666 wrote:
One thing i was thinking about was

1. to try and do close combat like it 40k, i.e.
a troll and 3 Uruks hit a line, roll for the number of attacks, then the defender rolls, work out how many are higher and then do the roll to wound/kill and then the defender gets to take off the troops that have been killed. Also, only do the 'back 1" rule if over 50% of the attacks hit)

2. Maybe also do morale checks like in 40k

3. maybe do a terror rule for those facing cavalry, if the cavalry outnumber by a certain proportion.

like the first idea, although i think the back rule should stay.

the other 2 will only slow the game. you have to roll another batch of dices to do those checks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well, some ways to make it go faster would be to use mass movement trays for the initial moving phase, then when the lines/opponents get close, take them out. Also, make easy sheets for keeping track of Might, Will, Fate, and Wounds, what spells are affecting them, etc. Know exactly what your army/models can do/what their stats are, so you don't waste time looking it up.

As for House Rules, I like the simplicity of adding +1 to the wound chart, like MoS suggested. Of course, that would really hurt for low-defense armies (Elf bows wounding Corsairs on a 3? Ow). But it is a large game and so there are many bodies. If both agree on it, it shouldn't be a problem.

If I think of something else, I'll be sure to post again, but I can't think of anything at the moment.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You need this:

http://www.terrainguild.com/WarInMiddle ... arthBC.pdf

War in Middle Earth mass ruleset which was introduced wayyyy before WOTR. It's a completely fan-made supplement.

Unfortunately, I don....

EDIT: Ok I found them for you. 2 links, first 1 is an actual link to the ruleset, 2nd is where you can select download links.

Quote:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/37002/War-in-Middle-Earth

http://www.miniaturewargaming.com/index ... 20LoTR/P6/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Please don't play LotR as 40k...

It'll ruin it...