All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:15 pm

Would you like to play with a Gloin figure?
Poll ended at Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:42 pm
Yeh, sounds cool 89%  89%  [ 17 ]
No, if GW though it was a good idea to have one, they would have created one. 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: New Profile : Gloin, King of Durin's Folk
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi guys. I thought it would be really cool to have a son and father attack team, and as I've just started a dwarf army, I wandered where Gimli's dad was. Here is the profile I've created..

Gloin, King of Durin's Folk

Points Cost : 130

Wargear : Gloin wears heavy armour, carries throwing daggers, and wields a rustic two handed axe.

F S D A W C M/ W/ F
5/- 4 6(8) 2 3 7 3 3 1

Upgrades :

'Mithril Armour' : 20 : This special mithril armour replaces his normal heavy armour and grants him +2 defense. When he wears this armour his defense is 8 rather than 6 .

Special Rules :

King of Durin's Folk : Gloin is such a great figure on the field of battle that he grants a 12" stand fast, rather than a normal 6" one.

Fight for me, Your Lord! : Such is Gloin's presence on the field of battle that he works like a banner. Note that if Gloin is killed he can't be picked up like a normal banner.

Feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited by Theonekoolness on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sounds good, but maybe he should lose one courage, he`s as braveheartet as a Maia (thats what its named right? Anyway, im talking about Gandalf) :shock: !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Good point. I'll change that now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think you overdid him a little, noe seariosly Gloin being betterthan Gimli?

I though that Gimli was one of the strongest dwarwes of that time, and Gloin didnt seem to be exactly the wery "brutal fighter" tipe in Hobbit so...

Also, He was a King? (its a question) I though that he and Gimli were like emissarys, ofc. of nobel blood or something but still not kings..I may be mistakening ofc.

And btw DURINS axe isnt given to Balin just for beauty, Gimli recovered it from Moria (if my memory again serves me correctl) which menas that Gloin couldhave never obtained it (maybe only afther the WotR, but i seriously doub that)

His defence is too ower done maybe chage his defence to 6 and make the upfrade him being 8 or 7...

Still why the hell is he better than Gimli???? :rofl: :lol: I just can´t get over it...

Im not critisising im just givig my thoughs :rofl: Nothing to fel bad about... :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mouth-of-Sauron wrote:
I think you overdid him a little, noe seariosly Gloin being betterthan Gimli?

I though that Gimli was one of the strongest dwarwes of that time, and Gloin didnt seem to be exactly the wery "brutal fighter" tipe in Hobbit so...

Also, He was a King? (its a question) I though that he and Gimli were like emissarys, ofc. of nobel blood or something but still not kings..I may be mistakening ofc.

And btw DURINS axe isnt given to Balin just for beauty, Gimli recovered it from Moria (if my memory again serves me correctl) which menas that Gloin couldhave never obtained it (maybe only afther the WotR, but i seriously doub that)

His defence is too ower done maybe chage his defence to 6 and make the upfrade him being 8 or 7...

Still why the hell is he better than Gimli???? :rofl: :lol: I just can´t get over it...

Im not critisising im just givig my thoughs :rofl: Nothing to fel bad about... :rofl:

To me it sounds like your critisising :P

But he may be right, Koolness. He should be more of a Faramir like type imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I take your point about Durins Axe, and I think maybe I could make him more of a leader by adding another special rule rather than having him as a great fighter. As far as I know Gloin was King of Durin's Folk at the time of War of the Ring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

looks fun but he is a better fighter then gimli and a better leader then Dain...

I would remove one wound and let him have normal dwarf heavy armour (D8) this is all a little to complicated with defense and stuff.

Also i would remove one point of courage to a total of 6.

Think about it... what were specific things about Gloin in The Hobbit? of course during the war of the ring he is pretty old already...

one more very minor point, throwing daggers are for puny elves, real men (well dwarves.. :P ) carry throwing axes.

Like stated before he wasn't a king. He might be some sort of lord i don't know.

this would also need a lowering in the points if you change him like this. Don't get me wrong, i really like the idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Theonekoolness wrote:
As far as I know Gloin was King of Durin's Folk at the time of War of the Ring.

Umm, where did you read this? Dain Ironfoot was still King Under the Mountain in TA 3019. He died that year and was succeeded by his son, Thorin III Stonehelm.

As for Gloin, I'd make him like Gimli, except without the "Axes of the Dwarves" special rule. Maybe a special 2-handed axe at most.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

as a side note, GW has actually modelled one of the dwarf king models to look like gloin.
If you look in the FOTR movie, there is an old white-bearded dwarf sitting next to gimli at the council of elrond.
that could only be gloin, because it was in the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I love your idea of making a Gloin figure and I've always wanted to make one. Great stats :-D although I thought Gloin to be rather old during the 3rd age even for Dwarves

Summed up, great job :yay:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I must say, I would like him to have a profile, but this seems ever so powerful, more so than Dain.

Also, a mithril coat gives +3 Defence and costs 15 points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

TheOneKoolNess: As said before, Gloin (Gimli's dad) has never been king of Erebor. And there is nowhere written that Gimli found Durin's axe when he went through Moria. Sorry. :wink:

Mouth of Sauron: Where is it written that Gimli is a better warrior then Gloin?

Gloin is of Durin's line as you might read in "the Lord of the Rings: appendices" (hope this is the right translation) and is indeed already of certain age at the time of the war of the ring. So, personally I would just use the captain's profile or, to my opinion, even better Balin's one. Offcourse you could make up your own, but then I think it should lay in the lines of Balin's profile and not something mightier. But that's just me. Houserules have the benefit that everyone else, but yourself (and hopefully at least one opponent), don't have to love your made-up profiles. :P
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

There where actually two Gloins The first was Gloin king of durins folk born 2136 he was the son of Thorin I and his son was Oin

Then there was Gloin father of Gimli son of Groin born in 2783

So Gimlis father was no king.

And please change the throwing daggers to throwing axes

/Joel

-Dwarvish war cry