All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:51 am

Post subject: Celeborn....Is he worth the points?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey its all in the title really....
Is Celeborn worth his points? the old saying *jack of all trades, master of none* comes to mind.

He has a small amount of magic, which in todays RW filled enviroment, most likerly wont acheive much, but in the odd case of getting of aura of command, charging enemies such as BN's will become as easy as charging anyone.
the automatic SF, is also incredibly handy, especialy in smaller forces were breaking may be inveitable.

his combat profile also lends himself to being a large brawler, perfectly matched to take out most enemy heros, and lots of warriors.

however he comes in at 150 points, with a D7 and W3 F3 meaning he can survive a turn or two, but is like most 3 3 3 heros.

just wondering if peopel have much experaince with him? or against him, and how in genral people feel he plays?

Beaner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I was considering him for a few reasons, the main one being he can compel/transfix people which is extremely useful if you want to gank an enemy hero. I was going to have him supported by Galadriel (Caster form) and basically drain hero's will down to 0 then transfix them, pile in loads of elves, go doubled handed and gank them. Very little they can do to stop you. One of the other advantages his got is that he can shield. So you can run him into lots of enemies , shield and use might if needed whilst your remaining elves cleave through their army. He obviously causes terror as well! I think his an awesome hero! Worth 150 points? Yes!

However, I opted to use Glorfindel, Lord of the West. Simply because his resistant to magic. Whereas I feel Celeborn is quite venerable to magic, if your too offensive with your spells you’re going to run out of will and be a sitting duck for spell casters to mop up, also if your opponent is particularly offensive you won’t actually get to cast ANY spells at all.

If supported by Galadriel you can use the same tactic (transfix->gank) due to Galadriel’s free point of will every turn, also if you take the mirror aswell, you've got a defence 7 hero running riot thats immune to magic and effectively has infinite will. All you need to do is position properly and you can shot down your enemy reduce their numbers and chop them up with Eleven blades. I might actually take 3 heroes in my GT army, Galadriel, Glorfindel, and Legolas. Legolas simply because his cheap as chips and his abilities are really over powered!

Apologies if anything I've said is wrong, I’m not 100% back up to speed yet....

Hope this helps.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Any chance we can get a look at your list with the 3 heros? seems like it may be pretty small, bu i assume your going with the high elves? that way at lesat your getting the D6 front line which will keep you in the fight.

I also assume its castign galdrial in the army with glofy and leg's?

Beaner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm using galadriel in caster form with her mirror, makes glorfindel pretty much invincible aslong as you look after him. I'm actually using armored wood elves, I'm not sure if legolas will be included yet. One of the main threats is obviously arrow fire, to counter that you simply cast blindng light and shoot them to pieces! Although it's a smaller army from my experience if you get the charge and position your units properly you can trap what's left of their army! I usually try an trap their Heroes and kill them if possible! Usually after the first round of combat I've killed a hero and out number them :) high elves are too expensive IMO. Also armored wood elves look amazing! And I'm not talking about those nasty galadrim!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:46 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Heroes still really confuse me; warriors seem so much more viable in my mind. But I have come to understand that heroes require somewhat of an "all or nothing" approach. A captain that's only a step or two up from a normal warrior can still be dealt with by "mere mortals". A "superhero", however is extremely hard to deal with. Largely due to high fight values and many attacks, they can win the fight quite easily. I recently demonstrated how Boromir, Captain of the White Tower has a 77% chance to win the fight, even when he's surrounded by 24 Uruk-hai! Of course, Boromir is mounted on a horse, and has his horn of Gondor, but I found it to be quite a startling example.

So basically, for me heroes must "go big, or go home". I'll either make the bare minimum, or take a superhero. Odd as it sounds, Celeborn falls somewhere in the middle for me. He's got high stats, yes, but he has no horse or lance option, or anything like that. His Immobilise spell is nice, but Aura of Command? In an Elvish army? A bit useless. I would consider taking him, but I might go even higher on the ladder first.

Of course, superheroes come with their own problems anyway. Ringwraiths, point restrictions, and model count (for domination and such) are the biggest worries.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Celeborn is worth his points but with the elfs you got also heroes with almost the same points that could be better. (Gil-galad, Glorfindel)
Or a lot of players take Haldir or Rumil and gets only one attack less and no more magic spells but saves points for more warriors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:11 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I used Haldir in my 300 point army a couple of years back and he was more than enough! Legolas is alot better in my opinion though. 1 fate is just not enough!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

well for Rumil, 1 Fate is enough though :P