All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:59 am

Post subject: Returning, what rules?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:57 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi, i've got a fairly simple question..

I've returned to the game after a major break, and i'm concerned that the rules i'm using are outdated, so:

should i get the big hardback rulebook (the one to rule'em all, blue, 240pages) or would the smaller one from mines of moria together with my current two towers rulebook be a smarter solution?

Regards

Jens

Even if you win, you're still retarded
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The main rulesbook and the MOM booklet contain all the rules, but there are less errors in MoM. There are also hobby articles and more non-fim profiles in the big book. TTT is way out of date. Your best bet is MOM rulebook if you can get it seperate or want goblins and a troll and the relevent source books for the armies you are creating. Legions of Middle-earth is another valuable booklet which contains army lists 9some now out of date) and battle scenarios.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Welcome back to this hobby.
TTT is out of date but the rules are almost the same and only a little has changed during the years. Most important changes are:
-throwing weapons: now more points for models but you can use them the whole game each turn again.
-Courage test when broken: no more retreat in inches when your model doesn't have enough courage but he leaves the table at once.

A lot of profiles has been changed during the last 6 years. for most points you better buy LOME(legions of middle earth) and see on the webpage of GW for the right profiles.
Some excamples of profiels that have been changed:
-Damrod was like a captain but now he is more a luitenant.
-The three magic rings of the elfes are worked out for Galadriel, Gandalf and Elrond. they cost more points but gets a re-roll on faith rolls.
-Balrog and treebeard changed a little. the one is less points the other more.
Most important thing that has really changed the game are all the new models in all the different Supplement. With LOMe you see a lot of new models and after LOMe there are other supplement with more new models.

You dón't really need a new rulebook in the begin when restarting but i would buy LOME and see what kind of army you want to play. Buy the supplement of that army because in the suplements you find the profiles and special rules of the models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

thx alot guys!! That was just the kind of answers i was looking for!

I've ordered the legions of middle earth together with the mines of moria starter set (another cavetroll always comes in handy, and a new fellowship, why not?) from a cheap website cutting 20% off of the price, and is currently looking foreward to the arrival!

Yet again, thank you.. I'm excited to see the updates to the game, and maybe later have a look into the new wotr. :-)

Regards

Jens

Even if you win, you're still retarded
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hithero wrote:
TTT is way out of date.

RotK is now updated, but what about FotR? I've never seen it for sale anywhere, and I haven't looked inside it. I don't want to get it, just wanted to know if it's out of date, seeing as it's been out for a while.