All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:13 am

Post subject: Why limit M/W/F to the starting amount?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm just wondering what the forum thinks about a House Rule me and my slimy orc maggot of a friend play by:

When deploying heroes you can add-on M/W/F points for 5 points a piece up to double the amount they start with in any column. If the hero starts with 0 in any column, a maximum of 1 pt can be added.

Some heroes this affects more than others, obviously Gandalf, Boromir, Ringwraiths and the like benefit a lot. However this tends to even itself out because more points spent on heroes and M/W/F means you will have less to spend on troops and will be outnumbered. All heroes can have good or bad days, and to me it opens the game up to new tactics and strategies.

What d'ya think? Would you like playing this way or is the system just fine?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sounds like a balanced house rule to me. Five points is the standard cost of M/W/F, according to the Battle Companies rules.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

you must give it limits otherwise people will use it wrong like this

spider queen with 30 will for only 210points what means 30 broodlings.

undying with 30will for 170 points

If you and your friend don't do stuf like this it is good but otherwise bring limits to it.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think the limit of no more than double works. I've played against the Necromancer with 50 Will and got destroyed in droves, but I still like it. To me it just offers more ways for the players to affect the game rather than relying on dice rolls all the time.

We don't have spider models, but I let him play as the Undying all the time and never had a problem with it. That's still less than I spend on Aragorn, Heir of Isilidur with Anduril, Elven Cloak bumped up to 6*/6/6.

I'm just interested to see what other gamers think about this. Thanks.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

TheFlameoftheWest wrote:
I've played against the Necromancer with 50 Will and got destroyed in droves, but I still like it.

I was already wondering what that one would do, another funny:

Dragon 6/6/6, Breathe Fire, Tough Hide
this thing can fire 6 S10 T2 blasts, has 6 fate to cure wounds, and 6 might to never lose a battle :shock:

or Boromir with 12 Might

or Erestor 90pts; 6 Fate

You could give Sauron TDL a point of Fate, 12 Will and 6 Might
coming in at 500 pts with Ring, try beat that

Elrond, MoR 6 Will, 6 potential Wraths of the Bruinen

the reason some are lowly is because they would get overpowered if not

tKoU, 24 Will, :shock:

I'm sorry but this could become to overpowered, and coming to combo's some blame WOTR to have to much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ore this one:

Durin with 11 fate for 210 points that wll be hard to break :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Without being defensive, Adanedhel, I could bring Gil-Galad and Elrond in at their max MWF along with Elendil at his base level against the Dark Lord (by the way you could not add a Fate pt to the Dark Lord as his Fate value is 'Special' and not zero). I think I'd have a shot.

hero of gondor; You could't get to 11 fate with Durin, only up to double his starting Fate number.

Perhaps we intend some heroes to be overpowered. When you play a SBG with large forces I think all heroes become more important and powerful. Even a regular captain at 4/2/2 cannot be ignored for instance.
We intend this to allow for larger SBG battles instead of playing War of the Ring. We just don't like the new system.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

TheFlameoftheWest wrote:
Without being defensive, Adanedhel, I could bring Gil-Galad and Elrond in at their max MWF along with Elendil at his base level against the Dark Lord (by the way you could not add a Fate pt to the Dark Lord as his Fate value is 'Special' and not zero). I think I'd have a shot.

TDL might indeed be a tad to expensive
Still, I dread seeing that dragon, or the Knight of Imba

TheFlameoftheWest wrote:
Perhaps we intend some heroes to be overpowered. When you play a SBG with large forces I think all heroes become more important and powerful. Even a regular captain at 4/2/2 cannot be ignored for instance.
We intend this to allow for larger SBG battles instead of playing War of the Ring. We just don't like the new system.

If you want heroes to become more powerfull, and regular troops therefore to be less, I'd think another system would fit better, it's fairly normal though rare statisticly spoken that a very strong hero can be brought down by a couple lowly guys due to bad rolls, this and the fact that in skirmish games, numbers count is important (at which LoME has set a limit), I like this system because it's so warrior based, a single warrior can change the outcome of the entire battle, less likely in WHFB and WoTR (played both, don't quite know about WH40k)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the feedback. Usually what happens is regular troops are used to whittle down each other's points until heroes close in on each other. I suggest others try it as I feel it is closer to the 'feel' of the films (for example, Gimli would actually have a chance of taking down 43 Uruk-Hai) and after awhile with the standard MWF levels may get old as it did for me. This allows you to customize your forces more, and every "unfair" hero would be countered with another than is equally "unfair" 8)