All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:48 am

Post subject: WOTR balancing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:03 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

so yesterday i went to a gaming club (where a 1500pt wotr tourning is going to happen) and the guys there have these rules: limit of 5 mastery lvls (untill you get to 2500ptsish) and a limit of 1 extremely hard to kill model.
and here is y:
'the mastery limit is to stop ppl fielding multiple nazguls. they are SO overpowered/undercosted that its no fair for the good side who only has +200pt ppl to equal them
the extremely hard to kill limit is to stop ppl fielding multiple oliphants, cause when an elephant moves to an enemy formation, it HAS to fall back and if there is something blocking them when they fall back they the formation is destroyed (fly a nazgul back there and then make them fall back onto the nazgul....)

seriously, nazgul are sooooo good, if i take a dragon, then the nazgul can pall of night it all day long, neutralizing it, but the good side cant do this. they best they can do is with gandalf - reduce the dragon to F0.... (dueling only hurts the dragon... a bit)

so do u think that the nazgul pts could be increased to 200? i think its reasonable, especially for khamul, and i really think that mumakil should be increased in their cost
 Post subject: Re: WOTR balancing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

200pts for Nazgul would be too much, but I think an increase would be a good idea. Perhaps just to 150pts. As for the Mumakil, I don't think they need a points change.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

200pts too much? alot of good magic users are 150pts and only mastery 2, for the good side to get mastery 3 they have to get +200pts heros
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I disagree. Compare a Nazgul to Gandalf the Grey: both have about the same magic capability but Gandalf has Touched by Destiny, two more Might, more Epic Actions, and several other minor bonuses; that seems about 75pts to me. Radagast is roughly the same as a Nazgul, but has two more Might for 35pts more. Again, that seems fair enough.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
I disagree. Compare a Nazgul to Gandalf the Grey: both have about the same magic capability but Gandalf has Touched by Destiny, two more Might, more Epic Actions, and several other minor bonuses; that seems about 75pts to me. Radagast is roughly the same as a Nazgul, but has two more Might for 35pts more. Again, that seems fair enough.

Yeahhh, but nazgul do have much better magic. Let's admit it, spells of command suck and spells of darkness rule (sad but true). I think nazgul should be about 150-160 points.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Darkness is not better then Command their purpose is different so you can never compare them. And about the points of ringwraith just leave them but you must pay 50 points extra for the special rules cause only the special rules are overpowered.

But when you do that you must change the points values of many more models like druzhag, kardush, thranduil the list keep's on going.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Most things in the book could do with a points tweak (such as Corsair Arbalesters - cheaper than Corsair Bowmen!??), to be honest.

I disagree and think Command is better (unless lots of Heroes are in range): it allows you to heal, reduce (usually already low) Courage and such like.

Anyone think a Strength increase of 1 (maybe 2) for bows is in order? They never seem to do ANYthing from my experience.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
Anyone think a Strength increase of 1 (maybe 2) for bows is in order? They never seem to do ANYthing from my experience.

I think the bows are fine. Yeah, you alway need 6's but I've found that you roll so many dice you still get several kills.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i think the ringwraiths arent underpriced too much, it's just that some other magic users( shamans, etc) are too many points which makes ringwraiths seem very good value.
the reason ringwraiths are so cheap is because they are poor in duels

well thats my moneys worth anyway