All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:24 am

Post subject: Spartan profile
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

As a big fan of the movie 300 i decided to create some spartan warriors for sbg and wanted to know if one of the veterans here has an idea for a good and balanced/fair profile and speacial rules for spartans and their leader leonidas...

Their profile should be close to elves and should include throwing spear upgrade, high courage, phalanx rule and for leonidas that he counts as banner has fury 10" by 5+ instead 6 and maybe 1 free might per turn?

whafrog already mentioned this(
Quote:
If you want to actually play a game with them, use the elf stat line, give them +1 Attack for 3 points, +1 Str (for S4) for 1 point, and +1D (for D4) for 1 point for their training. No armour, but their shields are "Heavy Shields", worth +3D, but only cost 2 points because you can't shield with them. I like the shield special rule against volley fire, every group gets a free special rule, maybe that's theirs.

Give Leonidas the Spartan Fury special rule: works like Fury on all Spartans within 10", but avoids death on a 5+, so long as he's alive. He should probably get 3 attacks and wounds, but shouldn't better than Aragorn or Boromir.
in that thread http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17205

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

What do you think about this?

F S D A W C Points 25
5 5 5 2 1 5

Wargear:Spear(1h),Heavy Shield,Throwing Spear

Speacial Rules: Phalanx,Pavise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Overall profile seems good... With the Pavise rule are you saying that the defence increase would go ontop of the current defence? If so i thinks its a good idea.

Also not sure S5 is really correct, as they were strong, but 5 is Half-Troll standards 4 maybe better. But then I see the profile really isnt powerful enough, as you would expect Spartans to take on several enemies at once. It is hard to make a profile quite powerful without adding wounds which then outs up the cost a significant amount and means you need to do alot of book keeping. It is the same kind of issue we had for Noldor in the By the Book project as it is quite hard to represent the fact one Elf could take on several Orcs quite easily.

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I see the point... What about this?

F S D A W C Points 25
6/3+ 4 4 2 1 6

Wargear:Spear(1h),Heavy Shield,Throwing Spear

Speacial Rules: Phalanx,Pavise (D7 while out of combat)

So i went on Strength from 5 down to 4 but gave them F6 in exchange because youre right... S 5 is too much for a "normal" human but as they are excellent fighter... And i gave them D4 because they know how to use their shields but dont really wear any armor... While they usually don't get hit by arrows and therefor i gave them the pavise rule... Well and i thought for 25 points they could get +1 courage in exchange for the low defense... If a spartan isn't brave who else?

If you have a look at the galadhrim setinels and compare 25 points are maybe too much...

F S D A W C +shieldblock although pike and terrain rule @12 Points
6/3+ 3 5 1 1 6

If you have anymore ideas to balance let me know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Seems fine stat wise (1st profile you posted) but I am just comparing it to a Uruk Berserker and it seems the points cost is a bit high, I would say maybe 20-21 points is more reasonable. Maybe we should see what everyone else thinks if they post... :)

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah some comment would be great :rofl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A few things:
1) Spartans do not use throwing spears, in an emergancy they might throw it but his mates would give him a good slapping for disarming himself and wrecking the phalanx.
2) Spartans wore armour and due to the shield no visable part of him is unarmoured, so should be classed as heavy armour and shield.
3) Why A2, thats going to be a waste of points as the Spartan is pretty much always going to be supported by another. F5, S4 and rear support is pretty much as good as you need to win and kill in fights.
4) Shield wall rule. If in contact with 2 other Spartans, shooters count their shields as an obstacle and an in the way role required. Spartans can only move half speed when doing this.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I really like that shield wall rule.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
1) Spartans do not use throwing spears, in an emergancy they might throw it but his mates would give him a good slapping for disarming himself and wrecking the phalanx.
2) Spartans wore armour and due to the shield no visable part of him is unarmoured, so should be classed as heavy armour and shield.

Well yeah that seems more right to me but i concentrated more on the movie where they are almost naked (don't think something wrong of me) :rofl: And for the throwing spears.... maybe take them off as i was just thinking of the scene where leonidas finishes off a bunch of persians among other things by throwing his spear.

And i love your shieldwall rule, too! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Spartans in this game are the dol amroth. Those bad boys destroy if used to plug a hole in a wall
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I say give them the Uruk-hai Berserker profile which is 15 points I believe, one of the most expensive troops, and add a cost of a shield which boost the Defence up by 1.
 Post subject: they always fight in the shade
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:01 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hithero has some historical game experience as do I. I am going to throw in with him.
No throwing spears.
Heavy armor and large shield.

Quote:
Why A2, that's going to be a waste of points as the Spartan is pretty much always going to be supported by another. F5, S4 and rear support is pretty much as good as you need to win and kill in fights.

I would go so far as to count the spear as a pike.
By brother says no. He is a regular Spartan Ancient player.So out voted by Hithero and my brother spears it is.

Hithero's shied wall rule is great. However, Historical Ancient players will have a cow if you call it that :shock:

May I suggest you call it the they always fight in the shade rule.

This was a very good post. Well done.

Some really nice Fantasy Spartans here.

http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/li ... %20Olympus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hithero's suggestion is good, but the OP wants to make a 300 spartan army, not historical. Therefore they wouldn't be wearing any heavy armour and I don't think the helmet and shin guards make it up enough to be equipped with regular armour.

I also at one time wanted to make a 300 regiment (I right now have a back-log of lotr models) and use the Uruk-hai Berserker profile replacing the two-handed sword with a phalanx spear and adding the cost of a shield. That profile will be crazy enough with D7 and C7. And the profile being in the rulebook already, the value of points won't be an argument.

Like the shield wall rule but don't know how many points that should cost.

For those of you who are interested in building a 300 spartan army, take a look at these links:

Wargods Spartans: http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/li ... ding=Items - Miniatures - Olympus

Tale of War Leonidas: http://www.taleofwar.com/shop/product.php?id_product=57

Tale of War Dilios: http://www.taleofwar.com/shop/product.php?id_product=64

Tale of War Spartan: http://www.taleofwar.com/shop/product.php?id_product=58

The only thing is I don't know how these miniatures size up to an lotr miniature. Wargods use a 20mm base while Tales of war uses 25mm
 Post subject: Cool link
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:10 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
The only thing is I don't know how these miniatures size up to an lotr miniature. Wargods use a 20mm base while Tales of war uses 25mm

The Wargods Spartans can be placed on 25mm bases a lot of rules sets call for the 20mm bases.

Quote:
Hithero's suggestion is good, but the OP wants to make a 300 spartan army, not historical. Therefore they wouldn't be wearing any heavy Armour and I don't think the helmet and shin guards make it up enough to be equipped with regular Armour.

I understood the 300 reference. I think the red cape should count as heavy Armour. :lol:

Quote:
I don't think the helmet and shin guards make it up enough to be equipped with regular Armour.

Of course you are right they do not. But counting the figure as if it has hvy Armour works. The shied wall rule also works. I know the Greeks did not use shiedwalls so I suggested something fun to avoid countless comments from people trying to point it out. May be some one can come up with something fun to call the red cape rule.

Quote:
Hithero's suggestion is good

I thinks so too.

Tale of War Leonidas was a good link I had not seen them.
This has been a fun post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:23 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For '300' Spartans, I agree that just using the berserker profile seems quite apt, just change 2-handed weapon for spear. The D6 could be used to include the shield and their physical toughness, so no need to change that.
You could call the Shield Wall rule, Protect my Boyfriend or something :)