All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:03 am

Post subject: BATTLE COMPANIES III - Updated rules, need help
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello everyone!

For the past months I have been thinking of and writing down updated rules for Battle Companies. I like to call it Battle Companies III, because first there were the original rules, then the redux, and this is a third version of the rules.

(---WARNING---WALL OF TEXT INCOMING---IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ IT ALL SKIP TO THE END OF WALL OF TEXT FOR THE IMPORTANT STUFF---)

After playing Battle Companies for a long time, it got a bit dull because in the end all the heroes would have the same skills and stats, and you would have a ton of influence points that you could waste on stuff like giving everyone in your company every equipment option available. With these new rules, my two main focuses have been these things, though there are many other small things that have been changed and added to, for example, there are now more types of equipment, and all company types have updated lists. For a Haradrim list, the options are no longer only warriors and raiders. You can now use Serpent Riders and Serpent Guard, and Watchers of Karna and Abrakhan Guard.

To make heroes more unique, I have created a class system. You may choose the class of your starting heroes, but you must roll for the class of warriors promoting to heroes. The classes are the Fighter, Archer, Leader, and Medic. I kind of ripped off the classes from Battlefield: Bad Company 2. The Fighter is based on the assault class, the Archer on the sniper class, the medic on the medic class, but an engineer would not have been very useful for Lord of the Rings, so instead I chose to include the leader class. All of these types of heroes already exist, except for medic, though Elrond and Radagast do have a renew spell. There are also magic users, but those are included in the special classes which I will talk about now.

In addition to the 4 basic classes, each type of Battle Company has their own special class. This is usually based on what makes that race or culture unique, or what kinds of units or heroes it has. For dwarves there is a Shieldbearer class who has very high defense and a lot of defensive abilities, making it ridiculously hard to kill him. This is based on the high defence of the dwarves and the shieldbearer and the riot shield guys who I like to call the S.W.A.T teams, you know, the guys with the huge sheilds and defence 9? The Haradrim on the other hand, have an Assassin special class, who has low defence, poison, stealth, and the like, which is based on the Hasharii, and has the greatest weakness of Harad: low defense.

With the new rules influence points are rarer, and will take more work to get them and keep them. This is because with the new rules you will lose an influence point on the D6 roll of a 1 or 2 every time a model dies in a game, and again if a model dies permanently. Influence represents the amount of aid your patrons give to you, and if you keep killing off warriors, they will be less likely to send you more.

(---WALL OF TEXT ENDS HERE---)

Those are the basics of the new Battle Companies 3 rules. The basic rules are all finished, but what still needs to be done is make all the different company types and create more special equipment and scenarios. So I made this post because I need help finishing it all. I have made a list of all the different things I need doing. I will of course still be working on it myself, directing the whole project, and working on the same stuff as everyone else.

I need:

--People to proofread and playtest the exising and future rules.
--People to help write the different company types, including writing rules for all the special classes.
--People to write new scenarios.
--People to make up cool new equipment.
--Someone who is good at graphic design, to create titles, backgrounds, etc. for the website
--(EDIT) Also, people who can take pictures of their minis to put on the site would be good!

I have created a website where all the rules will be, as it will be too big to post everything as 1 article or forum post. The website is not online yet, I have all the html files on my computer. I will be putting it online in the next few days, but for now, post here or contact me at jessehkosonen@gmail.com if you are interested in helping me in this project.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you!

Jesse Kosonen.

Maermaethor.

Last edited by Maermaethor on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hmm cool idea... Can´t realy help you but i do encourage you to finish your goal. :yay:

Very good. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey all, I'm back after a year or two. :) this, the post that prompted me to venture back, is very interesting.

I was half way through updating the companies, before I semi-lost interest in LOTR (semi meaning I had greenies still come up and ask me "Can I change my Aragorn to have 19 Attacks and 0 Will?") and diverted my attentions to WH40K (don't kill me, admin). But I have now lost the Redux rules as they were kicked off the site after the "Big GW Site Change of '09". I have the rules, thanks to a quick Google search, but no company lists. I believe all I was doing, though, was creating new companies for every LoME list and bringing new releases into the old one's. Used basically the same rules as the one's GW already bought out.

But, I also added one that could be interesting - If you get a certain amount of Influence Points, you could recruit a named Hero for your company (basically the formula I used was [Insert Hero Here]'s Points Cost/10). What do you think?

Anyways, what was it?

Oh yeah,

Rock on

Doopo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:50 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

doop dude wrote:
Hey all, I'm back after a year or two. :) this, the post that prompted me to venture back, is very interesting.

I was half way through updating the companies, before I semi-lost interest in LOTR (semi meaning I had greenies still come up and ask me "Can I change my Aragorn to have 19 Attacks and 0 Will?") and diverted my attentions to WH40K (don't kill me, admin). But I have now lost the Redux rules as they were kicked off the site after the "Big GW Site Change of '09". I have the rules, thanks to a quick Google search, but no company lists. I believe all I was doing, though, was creating new companies for every LoME list and bringing new releases into the old one's. Used basically the same rules as the one's GW already bought out.

But, I also added one that could be interesting - If you get a certain amount of Influence Points, you could recruit a named Hero for your company (basically the formula I used was [Insert Hero Here]'s Points Cost/10). What do you think?

Anyways, what was it?

Oh yeah,

Rock on

Doopo

Well, if you still have the companies, and are willing to make more, the basic points cost of the starter forces and everything is remaining the same, so they could be used for this. Are you interested in helping out?

I don't really like the idea of adding named heroes to your force, as Battle Companies is about creating your own characters and improving them. Named heroes would kind of ruin that, and I doubt someone like Boromir would want to join a tiny company of Gondorians 15 strong.

I also forgot to add in my first post, I also need people to take pictures of their minis to put on the site in random places. Preferably people who are medium to expert painters.

Thanks!

Jesse K.

Maermaethor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

we have been debating changing the lists at my store as well.

http://www.o-zonelair.com/lord-of-the-r ... s-t537.htm

of course there is a lot of bickering but we have some lists on here. i aggree that they should be updated to include the new stuff, and as basic as it sounds we never thought of using LOME to choose the starting force.

let me know when your website is up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The website is up, but I would prefer not revealing it to the public until it is finished, so if anyone wants to help, comment here, send me a pm, or send me an email at jessehkosonen@gmail.com

So Lord Jimbo and Doop Dude, are you guys gonna help me out? As of yet nobody has said they will.

Thanks!

JesseK,

Maermaethor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I had to cut my hobby time, just bought a house, working overtime, and dealing with my better half takes more than my 24 hour days allow.

check out the lists my group and i put on O-zone let me know what you think then i'll know more what your looking for. your class system seems cool but i'm not familiar with the games you got the inspiration from so i cant really discern how it would work for game balance.

but check out the lists and i'll try to contribute any way i can, cant promise alot of help though my plates pretty full at present.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sure, I'd be willing to help, but not for the next 3 weeks, as I have a big run of assessments coming up, but after that it should be fine. :-D