All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:55 am

Post subject: Alatar and Palando
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I know that the WotR book uses other names for the two blue wizards but these are the names given for them in The Unfinished Tales.

I have all 5 wizards and am working on painting them but in the meantime I thought it might be productive to work on some rules for the Ithryn Luin and get some feed back from the community.

Here's what I have so far:

Alatar and Palando 300 pts

The Blue Wizards travel together and must be placed on the table within 3" of each other. After the battle commences they may move about as normal.

Alatar, The Radiant One
F S D A W C M/W/F
5/- 4 5 1 3 7 3/6*/3

Wargear
Alatar carries his staff (two-handed weapon) and wears a cloak of deepest blue. At additional cost Alatar may be given the following:

The Lost Palantir of Annúminas...........20 pts
Ragnarok........................................5 pts
Horse .............................................10 pts

Special Rules
*Staff of Power. See main rules on Gandalf
Wise Fool. The allegiance of the Ithryn Luin is uncertain. To represent this, if one of the blue wizards is slain in battle, the remaining wizard becomes controlled by the general on the opposing force. His fight value, courage and defense all suffer a -2 penalty for this treachery.
The Lost Palantir of Annúminas. During their voyages, Alatar and Palando traveled to the far North to the Icebay of Forochel, and found there the shipwreck of Arvedui, the Last King of Arnor. There they uncovered two of The Lost Palantri. The Annúminas seeing stone allows its master, once per game to attain priority. He must declare prior to any dice being rolled.
Ragnarok.See main rules on Glamdring.

Magical Powers
Terrifying Aura 2+
Cast Blinding Light 2+
Sorcerer's Blast 12" 5+
Call Winds 12" 2+
Nature's Wrath 6" 5+

Palando, The Far Traveling One

F S D A W C M/W/F
5/- 4 5 1 3 7 3/6*/3

Palando carries his staff (two-handed weapon) and wears a cloak of deepest blue. At additional cost Palando may be given:

The Lost Palantir of Amon Sul........60pts

Special Rules
*Staff of Power. See above
One with Nature See rules for Radagast, in The Fall of the Necromancer.
Wise Fool See above
The Lost Palantir of Amon Sul During their voyages, Alatar and Palando traveled to the far North to the Icebay of Forochel, and found there the shipwreck of Arvedui, the Last King of Arnor. There they uncovered two of The Lost Palantri. The Amon Sul seeing stone allows its master the mightiest gift of foresight. If a friendly model within 6" of Palando is wounded, roll 1D6. On a 5+, the model suffers no wound. Affected friendly models may also use fate as usual.

Magical Powers
Terrifying Aura 2+
Renew 6" 3+
Strengthen Will 12" 4+
Sap Will 12" 5+
"Make Haste!" 6" 5+ Cast at the start of the move phase. Friendly models within earshot are filled with zeal for battle. All allies 6" from the caster may move and additional 2" in the move phase. They are not required to end their movement within 6" of the caster. Affected models may not take part in any heroic moves this turn.

Last edited by Mor-galad of Greenwood on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like the rules and background, and am looking forward to seeing Palando's rules. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

looks good 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The Age of the King fan supplement (made by some of the OR members a few years back) has stats for the two wizards (even thought they are the villans in the supplement).

Your profile looks pretty neat though.

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant - 6/53
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Made the changes to Palando.
I knew that there was some stuff posted here about these two. Do you know where a guy could find it or is it gone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I wouldn't quite make them 300 points as they both have the Wise Fool special rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Maybe Pallando's make haste rule should add inches instead of having a fixed value, otherwise for cavalry there's no point.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think Alatar is a little overpowered. Some magical powers are a bit too good. Natures wrath with infinite will and 3+ casting...you can just run around and cast it every single turn with 2/3 chance of passing. WAY too overpowered. Pallando is good though.

About the Ragnarok upgrade...it should only cost 5 points. 1 point of strength is not worth 30 points. He will rarely be in combat too.

Then about the background info. The lost palantir of Annuminas. In the Unfinished Tales in the palantir section it talks about the palantiri of Annuminas and Osgiliath as being so big that one person can't carry it by themselves. I recommend changing that for another palantir, like the Weathertop one, as that one should have been similar to the ones in Minas Anor and Orthanc. The one at Tower Hills only looked to the sea, The Annuminas and Osgiliath are too big, Orthanc, Minas Anor, and Minas Ithil are accounted for.

Also, a rule that states that not both can have it would be good.

Otherwise pretty good profiles. Magic users with no immobilize or command is a good change!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the input. I'll make the changes.

About the Annúminas Palantir, I thought that it might be symbolized by something like a large marble on the field, like the mirror of Galadriel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Very nice profiles! I like both a lot, and I'm definitely a proponent of keeping them in line with the existing wizards which you have done very well. I wrote profiles for these guys myself, but I like yours quite a bit and will have to try them out as well.