All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:51 am

Post subject: New rules for gollum in SBG?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:26 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ive been considering to get Gollum, 1. he's cool. 2. he's quite good in wotr
but when i looked to see what i could do with him in sbg, i was really disappointed. you can only use him if the ringbearer in included, this alone pretty much means that you can never use him. so i was wondering if i could make a new rule set/profile for him.
and so before i even go on thinking about that, do u think that its even a good idea? or do u prefer him just as a scenario character? (well, its pretty much only in scenarios that u can use him)
 Post subject: Re: New rules for gollum in SBG?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:55 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Personally, I would only play SBG battles featuring named characters from the books if it's a scenario I can justify them being involved in. It's pretty hard to justify Gollum being involved in a battle that doesn't concern the ring, since it's the only thing he's interested in.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

you would think so but before the year of the ring he spends his time wandering, in elven prisons and being hunted by aragorn and gandalf and in mordor so he could be in other things. i wud say hes worth about 50pts is reasonable maby 40 like bandobras took. i think that special rule is lame i mean me and tooky (other member) are the only people who have a hobbit army on this website or outside i know.(and i dont have a ring bearer) maby he shud be allowed against any elvs or any fellowship member for 40pts is reasonable :pippin:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hobbitsrule22 wrote:
you would think so but before the year of the ring he spends his time wandering, in elven prisons and being hunted by aragorn and gandalf and in mordor so he could be in other things. i wud say hes worth about 50pts is reasonable maby 40 like bandobras took. i think that special rule is lame i mean me and tooky (other member) are the only people who have a hobbit army on this website or outside i know.(and i dont have a ring bearer) maby he shud be allowed against any elvs or any fellowship member for 40pts is reasonable :pippin:

There is isildur and frodo I guess is used in a lot of campaign battles. I don't see gollum working in big battles as he's just in a cave or being hunted, no time for fighting. I don't want fluff of Isengard armies with extra might being allied in or something through gollum. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

spuds4ever wrote:

There is isildur and frodo I guess is used in a lot of campaign battles. I don't see gollum working in big battles as he's just in a cave or being hunted, no time for fighting. I don't want fluff of Isengard armies with extra might being allied in or something through gollum. Just my 2 cents.

If you are saying what I think you are, it's illegal. You're saying, say someone takes mordor, allies Gollum, then they can take Isengard forces as an ally? That isn't possible. All the lists that you have allied must be able to ally with each other.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Unless you're playing some kind of "official" games or against a hardcore rules-lawyer, the why not just waive that special rule?

Still, I don't really see the appeal to running Gollum outside of scenario play (including custom scenarios, no need to feel too constrained by the books) or very small skirmishes. He probably wouldn't perform especially well in a large army or anything like that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

TheEggman wrote:
spuds4ever wrote:

If you are saying what I think you are, it's illegal. You're saying, say someone takes mordor, allies Gollum, then they can take Isengard forces as an ally? That isn't possible. All the lists that you have allied must be able to ally with each other.

I know, but it wouldn't be illegal if those rules which SS is suggesting go out.