All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:11 am

Post subject: Orc slave-catchers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm too new to the rules to the rules to add balanced troop types, but I've got a couple of ideas that match some of the old figures I've got.

One of these is an Orc slave-catcher. They dress a little like rangers (but obviously scruffier and dirtier), and are armed primarily with a bow and knife. Their bow has two types of arrow; a conventional one, and one tipped with a poison they get from the spiders of the Ash Mountains. This poison paralyses the ones who are hit for two turns, in which time, if the wounded figure is touched by an ally of the Orc, it can be either tied up to become a slave, or killed with the knife.

I would guess that they need to be able to ambush. The conventional bow is as per normal, the poison-tipped arrow should get a bonus of some sort, as it doesn't need to hit to inflict a wound, but only scratch the skin. So, theoretically a figure could be shot by one of these arrows, then fall to the ground, be protected by his friends for two turns, then get up, shake his head and get back to the fight. Or, two or three could be hit, the rest be driven off, and the orcs run up, knife the lot then dash back to the cover of the woods.

Does anyone have any comments on this? Could someone put some numbers to it?

Post subject: Re: Orc slave-catchers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sounds like a cool idea, but it could get overpowered very easily. I think that they should have a very low defence (3). And for the poison arrows, if they hit then the poison comes into play, no need to roll to wound, but the poison only works if you roll a five or six. I also think that they should only be knocked out for one turn, otherwise you could easily get confused between guys poisoned last turn and this turn.
It would be like a cheap transfix, that you might use on normal warriors to stall their line.