All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:28 pm

Post subject: OR's Community Ratings of SBG Units (updated 28/02/11)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Community Ratings of SBG Models

Calling all SBG players to come out and rate unit models based on their effectiveness on the field for their points value. I'll be naming a batch of warriors every week or so and all you have to do is rate each one on 10. You may also as well give your reasoning behind the ratings if you want, especially recommended if you rate a unit very high or very low.

The average consensus will be posted here in the original post. A model's rating will only be posted once it has received at least a total of 5 ratings from community members. If by some chance you weren't able to score a batch of warriors that you missed while they were posted previously, no problem just rate them in your post and I'll add the rating to the average. If you end up rating a model more than once down the line, your later rating shall replace the former. Only rate the units you are familiar with of course.

So what's the purpose of this? To find out who is the best of the best and what is the worst in the opinion of the One Ring Community, plus it's fun to rate things (I do it all the time on IMDB.com).

The 10 star rating:
0-2: This unit is garbage
3-4: Weak
5-6: Mediocre
7-8: Good
9-10: Excellent/Perfect

RATINGS

Rank/Unit Name/# of members rated in brackets/rating out of ten

1) Morannon Orc (6) ********8.67
2) Iron Guard (5) **********8.4
3) Khazad Guard (5) **********8.2
4) Uruk-hai Warrior (12) **********7.75
5) Knight of Dol Amroth (5) **********7.6
6) Moria Goblin Warrior (12) **********7.08
7) Dwarf Warrior (5) **********7
8] Strider Aragorn (9) **********6.83
9) Warrior of Minas Tirith (13) **********6.61
10) Elf Warrior (10) **********6.46
11) Mumakil (6) **********6.42
12) Warg Rider (6) **********6.33
13) Easterling Warrior (6) **********6.16
14) Cave Troll (11) **********6
15) Orc Warrior (9) **********5.78
16) Haradrim Warrior (7) **********5.64
17) The Dark Lord Sauron (8) **********5.44
18) Rider of Rohan (6) **********5.33
19) Hobbit Militia (5) **********5.2
20) Warrior of Rohan (11) **********4.91

Units with Few Community Ratings (under 5)

Hobbit Archer (3) **********6.67
Ranger of the North (4) **********5.88
Barrow-wight (1) **********1
Uruk-hai Scout (3) **********5.33
Saruman (3) **********8.83
Gandalf the Grey (3) **********7.33
Warrior of the Dead (3) **********4
Rohan Royal Guard (3) **********5.67
Haradrim Raider (3) **********7.33
Mordor Uruk-hai (4) **********7
Wild Men of Dunland (1) **********4
Boromir of Gondor (4) **********6.75
Lurtz (2) **********6.5
Citadel Guard (2) **********8.25
Guard of the Fountain Court (2) **********6.5
Warrior of Arnor (2) **********8
Corsair of Umbar (3) **********7
Half Troll of Far Harad (2) **********6
Grimbold (3) **********6.67
Mahud Beastmaster Chieftain (4) **********4.75
Man-at-Arms Dol Amroth (1) **********5
Wose Warrior of Druadan (1)**********7
Knight of Minas Tirith (3) **********7.33
Wood Elf Sentinel (2) **********6.5
Castellan of Dol Guldur (1) **********4
Easterling Kataphrak (2) **********3.5
Black Numenorean (2) **********6.75
Orc Tracker (3) **********6.67
Mouth of Sauron (4) **********6.87
King Theoden (4) **********5.25

Last edited by Sacrilege83 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 11 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: OR's Community Ratings of SBG Units
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rate each unit that you are familiar with on 10:

Warrior of Minas Tirith
Hobbit Militia
Elf Warrior
Warrior of Rohan
Moria Goblin Warrior
Cave Troll
Uruk-hai Warrior
Orc Warrior
Strider Aragorn
The Dark Lord Sauron

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Warrior of Minas Tirith - 7
Hobbit Militia - (not enough experience)
Elf Warriors - 6
Moria Goblin Warrior - 5
Cave Troll - 5
Uruk-hai Warrior -9
Orc Warrior - 5
Strider Aragorn - (not enough experience)
Dark Lord Sauron - (not enough experience)

P.S. this is fun :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Warrior of Minas Tirith - 6 - Good warriors that are able to do a bit of everything, not specialized in anything but averaged out across all areas with a decent defence.

Hobbit Militia - 4 - whilst I haven't had much experience with them, the times I have battled/used them, they weren't able to hold their own very well at all, these would probably work better however as a horde army being so cheap, it's just they cost so much money to buy I've never seen them in action as a horde. A shame really considering how nice the models are.

Elf Warrior - 7 - The best archers in the game and when equipped with heavy armour and an elven blade they're incredibly durable fighters too, with a great courage value.

Warrior of Rohan - 5 - They aren't great for swarming and they are only really on a par with orcs with a better attribute here and there. Put them on a horse with throwing spears and this becomes a whole different scenario.

Moria Goblin Warrior - 7 - Aweful in small numbers but can prove incredibly deadly in large numbers.

Cave Troll - 7 - Strong, decent defence and wounds and relatively cheap in points.

Uruk-hai Warrior - 8 - High courage, good strength and good defence, plus the added bonus of the almighty phalanx.

Orc Warrior - 5 - I'm going to rate these equal to warriors of rohan as they are similar stats, less courage I believe but slightly cheaper. Overall the two are pretty even with each other (just saying this from memory though).

Strider Aragorn - 9 - Almost the perfect hero in my opinion, though I think it'd be silly voting it him a 10 as that would say it's my favourite character and there's nothing I would change, which is wrong because Boromir is my favourite and the one I don't go to battle without. But Strider is still great in combat, has some pretty nifty special rules and can hold his own against even the toughest foes.

The Dark Lord Sauron - 8 - Needless to say he is incredibly powerful, even more so with the One Ring, but I personally don't like taking him into battle when I use a Mordor army as it costs so many points. I would much rather have the Witch-King or a standard Wraith plus a huge load of orcs.

So that's my general view on things, this will be interesting to see what everyone else thinks of different units.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Warrior of Minas Tirith 7
Hobbit Militia 6
Elf Warrior 8
Warrior of Rohan 4
Moria Goblin Warrior 7
Cave Troll 6
Uruk-hai Warrior 7
Orc Warrior 7
Strider Aragorn 10
The Dark Lord Sauron x (never played with it)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Warrior of Minas Tirith 5-decent but not winning force, when put with other things they become good
Hobbit Militia 5- not really good against much but sheer numbers and a few special rules make them good (i find them great)
Elf Warrior 4- to expensive and easy to beat i find
Warrior of Rohan 6- with grimbolds helmingas rule mine beat some dwarfs off so i think good
Moria Goblin Warrior not familiar
Cave Troll 8- pherhaps a tad to unreliable against heros (especialy dwarfs!)
Uruk-hai Warrior 7- to good to be true for there points and stats, although grit, firepower and luck will often break them
Orc Warrior not familier
Strider Aragorn-9.5 only defence lets him down
The Dark Lord Sauron-10 well what can i say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe only the balrog can defeat him?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I haven't been keeping up with rules lately, so maybe if I knew about Grimbold I could rate the Warriors of Rohan a little higher. But on their own, I'm still rating them fairly low. Though it's just my own rating from personal experience :).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Keep the ratings coming guys. I would rate myself, but I play SBG few times and far between that I can't remember the rules and how well a unit played. I do remember some things though.

Goblin Warrior - 7: Although they are cheap and inexpensive, that's what is good about them. They are great for games that has objectives such as capture multiple control zones on the table, where there numbers really come in handy. You can also feed uber-heroes some goblin troops to stall them. Their cave dweller rule of ignoring obstacles and climbing tests also give them a tacticle advantage in skirmish games.

WoMT - 7: Surprisingly imo they perform better in games or just as good as my citadel and fountain guards for the fewer points. It's better to have more numbers rather than guards who hold their ground if a force gets broken. Having heavy armour and a shield is key where my citadel guards lack a shield but have stronger bow capability.

Elf Warrior - 6: The profile varies because the one rulebook places all the elves in one singular profile with variety in wargear to choose from. So I can't rate this one fairly because I only use Noldor elves with spears and shields. Noldor elves are elite and do put up a good fight when I used them, but are too pricey to field.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I haven't played many games with my Rohirrim yet, but from what I experienced, I can rate as follows:

WoMT - 7
Defense 6 makes them significantly tougher than Warriors of Rohan, plus they can take spears

Elf Warrior - 6
Their profile makes them seem extremely powerful, but overestimating their staying power puts them at risk fairly easily, they're also quite expensive

WoR (vanilla) - 5
Their D5 (with shield) makes them very vulnerable when compared to WoMT and they won't last in prolonged fights, when up against anything with D6 (Easterlings, Black Numenoreans, etc.) they really struggle because they need to roll sixes (S3)

WoR (Grimbold's Helmigas) - 7
While still quite vulnerable, the +1S helps a lot in cracking open those D6 enemies, well worth the point

Moria Goblin Warrior - 7
Alone, they are helpless, but their low cost makes sure that you will always outnumber your opponent - and even Aragorn will die when surrounded all the time

Cave Troll - 7
Scary as hell, they aren't easy to deal with for most opponents (high F, S & D) and draw damage from your goblins

Uruk-hai Warrior - 8
Expensive at first sight, but well worth the cost: above average F, S, D, and C, plus pikes and crossbows -> great versatility

Strider Aragorn - 8
One of the top heroes in the game, but quite expensive and even Aragorn will roll 1s and 2s once in a while, and if he's surrounded that's the end of him

Dark Lord Sauron - 4
Yes, four. He may be extremely powerful, but only cost-effective in huge games: for his cost you could have quite a large army plus Ringwraith!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Zogash wrote:
WoR (vanilla) - 5
Their D5 (with shield) makes them very vulnerable when compared to WoMT and they won't last in prolonged fights, when up against anything with D6 (Easterlings, Black Numenoreans, etc.) they really struggle because they need to roll sixes (S3)

WoR (Grimbold's Helmigas) - 7
While still quite vulnerable, the +1S helps a lot in cracking open those D6 enemies, well worth the point

I'll take the average of 6 from this when I do the posting for WoR. So I guess if we ever rate Grimbold, he'll receive a high rating because of his special rule.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Warrior of Minas Tirith
Good basic troop choice, Average stats, - 8

Elf Warrior
Low defense hurts them a lot, but higher fight and good shoot value means they excel at what they do, become pricey though once you start kitting them out - 7

Warrior of Rohan
Nice cheap warrior with decent stats, but lack of spears and cost of throwing spears hurts them. 7

Moria Goblin Warrior
Pap on their own, but in large groups they're excellent, especially with their cheap pts cost. 7

Cave Troll
Great stats and not that expensive, especially when teamed up with Goblins. 8

Uruk-hai Warrior
Very scary, and not that expensive, average courage and higher S/F/shoot etc makes them preferable to orcs. 8

The Dark Lord Sauron
Nothing beats sauron.. D: 9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:36 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Warrior of Minas Tirith - 7 - Do very well as the backbone of a Gondor army, but all to often can be defeated by massed S4 enemies.
Elf Warrior - 6 - Their cost means that they are either outnumbered or lacking a good defence vaule.
Warrior of Rohan - 4 - They are cheap, but without access to an ordinary spears the bonus of extra numbers gained from this is more than nullified.
Moria Goblin Warrior - 6 - So cheap that you can always hit the model limit and still have points for heroes and monsters.
Uruk-hai Warrior - 8 - High F S D C (for evil) access to crossbow and pikes.
Orc Warrior - 6 - Much like moria goblins are cheap which allows for heroes monsters or elites, similar profile to WoR, but the fact they get proper spears makes them so much more useful.
Strider Aragorn - 7 - Expensive in smaller games, but can be useful in larger games, however like nearly all good heroes is extremely vulnerable from magic casters.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Red Corsairs wrote:
I haven't been keeping up with rules lately, so maybe if I knew about Grimbold I could rate the Warriors of Rohan a little higher. But on their own, I'm still rating them fairly low. Though it's just my own rating from personal experience :).

for 1 point per model (normal rohan warrior) they get +1 strength
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... ements.pdf try this should be rules for him :-D
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Warrior of Minas Tirith - 7 Only fight three, but they are hardy foot sloggers with decent courage and defence six frontliners and spears.

Hobbit Militia - 6 Can be good if in a hobbit horde. Pretty close to goblins, just add the danger of throwing stones with a good fight, and take a way cave dweller as well as a bit of movement. Overall slightly worse than goblins because of constraints within the army list, allying, and relience on throwing stones.

Elf Warrior (high elf not wood elf?) N/A

Warrior of Rohan - 5 They only have defence five, no normal spears, fight three, and strength three. They're nothing special, and I personally like harad better. :mrgreen:

Moria Goblin Warrior - 8 Not that great when alone, but in hordes they are wonderful. The best horde unit in the game, and it has happened that a single goblin has stopped even aragorn for a few turns, thus goes a dice based game. :twisted:

Cave Troll - 6 If you can get them into combat they can cause some damage aginst normal troops, but thy can be shot to pieces if not shielded properly, and any hero better than a captain will be able to use their might and cut your 80 point beast to shreds in no time.

Uruk-hai Warrior - 8 Some of the best troops in the game. They have strength four and defence six, as well as access to pikes and x-bows. And they also have decent courage for evil.

Orc Warrior - 5 Another horde troop, though with morannons being better for not that many more points, and goblins being not that much worse for less points, they seem to be stuck in the middle; not that great, and not quite cheep anough to warrant taking them.

Strider Aragorn - 6 A might store. He starts with 3 and gets a free one every turn. Good if you mount him on a horse for all hero armies, or for large long gamer were the free might will make a difference, otherwise he costs too much.

The Dark Lord Sauron - 5 He can be a beast in combat or through magic, and can be nearly undefeatable with the ring, but again his high cost will be his bane, especially if your playing a scenario other than tkak or coc.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

WoMT- 7, solid and dependable but often won't win you games
Hobbit Militia- not enough experience
Elf Warrior (I presume this is a high elf)-8 excellent FV and courage and tough to kill when given shields but their best side is their tactical flexibility IMHO.
Warrior of Rohan-5 just more expensive Harad without spears, really.
Moria Goblin-8 I would say that this is probably the best horde troop in the game, coming in at a round 5 points, it's easy to squeeze in a ton of them in an army
Cave Troll-7 tough and cheap but their D6 makes them vulnerable to bows and they can still easily be bested by many uber-heroes
Uruk-hai warrior-8 probably the best all-round troop in the game, very hard to break down but they are very inflexible
Orc Warrior- 6 OK, though goblins are a better deal
Aragorn-7 Very powerful but generally too expensive to be fielded effectively in many games, I'd rather have Boromir tbh
Sauron- not enough experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:33 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

OP is updated with ratings, now off to the second batch. For those who still didn't cast their ratings in the previous list, you can still rate them and I'll count it in.

Dwarf Warrior
Easterling Warrior
Haradrim Warrior
Hobbit Archer
Ranger of the North
Barrow-wight
Rider of Rohan
Uruk-hai Scout
Saruman
Gandalf the Grey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:16 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmm, of this batch, I can only really rate the Riders of Rohan.... I just don't have enough experience with any of the others. Here goes:

Riders of Rohan - 6 I considered giving them a 7, but F3 really hurts them a lot, even when charging... S3 and D5 aren't all that great, either. Add the inability to take lances and the fact they still have to pay for bows even if they aren't allowed to use them due to the 33% rule just makes them weaker and less efficient than they should/used to be. Sadly, they can't live up to the fluff... :( Against unsupported infantry they can still wreak havoc, but when compared to the likes of KoDA or Morgul Knights, their performance is far more unreliable - also, against enemy cavalry they usually die very quickly. :shock:

Post subject: Re: OR's Community Ratings of SBG Units (updated 22/01/11)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dwarf Warrior - 7 -
Solid all around, with movement and access to spears the only real downside.

Easterling Warrior - 7 -
Almost the same as Minas Tirith warrior.

Haradrim Warrior - 6 -
Lack of shields is asking to be shot to bits by S2 bows. However they are cheap.

Rider of Rohan - 4 - Average stats, but come with equipment they may not need, pushing the cost up far to high.

Last edited by antlion on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dwarf Warrior - 8
Easterling Warrior - (not enough experience)
Haradrim Warrior - 3
Hobbit Archer - (not enough experience)
Ranger of the North - 6
Barrow-wight - (not enough experience)
Rider of Rohan - 7
Uruk-hai Scout - (not enough experience)
Saruman - (not enough experience)
Gandalf the Grey - (not enough experience)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
Dwarf Warrior - 8
Easterling Warrior - (not enough experience)
Haradrim Warrior - 3
Hobbit Archer - (not enough experience)
Ranger of the North - 6
Barrow-wight - (not enough experience)
Rider of Rohan - 7
Uruk-hai Scout - (not enough experience)
Saruman - (not enough experience)
Gandalf the Grey - (not enough experience)

Haradrim 3? Why? D4 isn't that bad considering they only cost 6 pts.