All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:17 am

Post subject: Killing the mumakil
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:52 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have recently started thinking about ways of killing this huge monster as I will face it on the battlefield in due course.It`s an extremely difficult opponent,due to its trumpling rule,which can literally eliminate your forces,and it`s ten wounds which make it very tough,too.Of course,there are disadvantages as well...
But what do yoy guys think?Is there a point in trying to kill it or should someone give up and pledge for mercy?
 Post subject: Re: Killing the mumakil
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I remember reading a strategy somewhere a long time ago that you spear head a mumakil by stopping it dead in its tracks by using a hero that is a tank (high defence) with a high fight value and then your men behind your hero charges forward swarming the mumakil.

(1)
MUMAKIL

---H
--mm
mmmm

(2)
-MUMAKIL

m000000m
---m00m
---mHm

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes, another tactic is just to get a mounted hero in the only problem is keeping his horse alive. Just try and weather out the storm until the commander loses all his might and then it's just a waiting game.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Shoot the commander and it will never even charge or stampede as long as you have might for heroics... Mumak is the weakest of all the monsters, even though it looks the strongest.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:56 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've had my commander targeted first, which elimated Might and high courage. Then the beast got srrounded with little dwarf buggers. Even with a horn aboard, it was not long before a wound to the beast made for a Courage Test. So you lure the beastie within 28 cm of the table edge and wound him, and you get to run it off the table. It is 'only' D7. Crazy that Gimli, or even a Dwarf Captain w/ Shield has a higher defense. I haven't yet dealt with a Mounted Hero.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:35 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Low courage, teh biggest disadvantage. And they take a courage test for each wound!
Just kill the mahud or trp the Mumak...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

With some good archers you can kill the commander before it reaches you.Then you should make some heroic actions to prevent trampling and make it lose some wounds.If there are other evil warriors in front of it then sentinels would be useful to prevent it from moving(during the heroic move or fight).
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A note, though. Be careful not to make the classic begginer's mistake of concentrating your whole force on the mumak because it is "only" 275 points, probably about 400 with the archers and a good few upgrades. In big games, players tend to send loads of guys at the mumak and it ends up doing a good job because it distracted so much of the enemy force for so long.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The most effective way to stop a Mumak is just to ask Legolas to deal with it... :-D

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Strength three bows can really put the hurt on a mumak, elven bows even more so than dwarven bows. If you get two or three rounds of direct shooting with 15+ elven bows, you should be able to take out the commander and have the mumak trample, unless he is really lucky with his courage rolls. Also, don't forget to roll to wound the houdah. If you have a bunch of shots hitting that rather than the commander, there's a chance you might destroy the houdah, which is really really helpful.
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Magic can be helpful. Spells like Immobilize and Command on the Commander might be able to nullify the Mumakil long enough to finish off the rest of his army. Spells like Sorcerous Blast, Black Dart and Chill Soul can also be helpful, given that the crew are dead.

Taking another quick look at the rulebook, one might also consider taking a pair of Seige Engines. Shoot the Howdah. If one Seige Engine hits and wounds the Howda, it's destroyed, the Haradrim onboard plummet to their deaths and and it's stampeding time. If you get Superior Construction with them as well.... Mumakil can be neutralized at 5ft rather than 4ft. At that range, worse comes to worse, a poor Haradrim Warrior gets spitted.

I have had no experience fighting Mumakil so take it with a grain of salt.
General Elessar wrote:
The most effective way to stop a Mumak is just to ask Legolas to deal with it..

General Elessar wrote:
The most effective way to stop a Mumak is just to ask Legolas to deal with it... :-D

Pity they don't let you attempt to scale the Mumakil....

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

WayUnderTheMountain wrote:
General Elessar wrote:

Pity they don't let you attempt to scale the Mumakil....

Actually, I read something a while ago about how the rules were made for the Mumak. It was originally intended to have a rule enabling Heroes like Legolas to climb the Mumak, but they dropped the rule as it was too complicated.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hmm,all the ideas that have been posted here are very good,but we have to take other factors into account,as well.Terrain is one of them.If there is some kind of terrain to hide your archers and do your tricks,then everything is ok.But when you are fighting on an open battlefield,with no place to hide,then your job becomes dangerous,especially when you have to deal with more than one of these monsters.
And after all,you cannot always count on the fact that the dices will work as you want nor that the enemy will sit and whatch your forces eliminating his strongest weapon.A single mistake in the use of your archers and even the cleverest of plans collapses.
(I am not criticising your opinions,I am just raising questions as to how they could be used effectively in every kind of battle)
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

with 16 archers the commander will have been killed in two turns logically.But then you have to act carefully to prevent it from trample with heroic fights moves and spells(you do not need only wizards sentinels are also good).If you are not so careful it can trample you for once and then it won't be able to perform heroic moves but until then you will have lost much of your force.So you have better act carefully.