All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:22 am

Post subject: catapult sbg
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ok then, i wanted to do something to show where a trebuchet, ballista etc has landed its shot. i made some bits of rubble and said wherever these are, the army can use them as cover, like a castle wall, making the enemy roll for in the way.
who thinks this is a good idea, also is there anything else people do for siege shots once they have landed.

this house rule has already done some nice things for me. my brother fired his new trebuchet against me , it kept landing short and ended up giving my archers a defensive blockade of earth shot up by big rocks.
 Post subject: Re: catapult sbg
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like the idea, as long as it doesn't have too much of a tactical influence on the game. I wouldn't use it for ballistae, as their projectile is too small to deserve a terrain piece, but for catapults it might work. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've considered doing something similar with my walls of Minas Tirith, by having a few damaged sections that could replace whichever parts are hit by the catapults. Presumably this would have the opposite effect of opening up line of sight for archers since sections of the defensive structure would no longer exist.

Only things that's stopped me from pursuing that is the time it would take during a game to place the new pieces and replace all the troops who were standing on the original piece.

Still, it's an interesting idea. Would very much like to see some pics if you decide to go ahead with your ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:41 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Artillery adds a bit of spice to a battle, especially a siege.

Regarding the replacement of intact structures with damaged ones - that also appeals to me. And don't worry about replacing all the figures - in real life, people tend NOT to stand around close to the last point of arrival of incoming fire - they run like blazes to be elsewhere in a great hurry. Been there, done that. So there should be a rule for people clearing out of the way - it only makes sense - who would hang around on or under a half ruined building that might collapse at any moment?

Oh yeah - goblins.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!