All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:52 am

Post subject: How to use Cirdan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have been thinking about doing a last alliance list with Isildor, Gil Galad and Cirdan as the heroes but I'm not sure what to do with Cirdan. For theme reasons I'd like to work him in since he and Gil Galad were big players in the noldor part of the alliance. Cirdan though just doesn't look to good on paper. Anyone know how might I go about using him?

Post subject: Re: How to use Cirdan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Keep him out of sight, out of combat and use his spells wisely.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Either channel blinding light and have him lead your archers, or channel aura of dismay and put him right behind your front lines
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, Círdan was bad already before the hobbit rules because he's just useless in combat and as all his spells are exhaustion ones, a wraith renders him completely obsolete, and that he can only use 3 of his will because he always has to have one in his store. On top of that, you now have to use his only might point to channel blinding light to just make it as it way before the hobbit rules. And if you don't, he'll likely be shot because defence four, two wounds and one fate is just terrible for someone who's almost one hundred points and is also completely illogical because he's like ancient (well I presume he is because he's the only elf to have grey hair) and he fought in the battle of the last alliance and survived and he's still only got one fate. If they had given him a similar profile to Celeborn, it would have been more fitting, I think.

Having said that, aura of command will be useful if you have Isildur so that he can take the ring off whenever he wants without having to worry about a courage test, and also all those cowardly C3 numenoreans will always be charging trolls and the like. Blinding light is useful too, but only up to a certain point because there's normally little to no shooting once the lines have met. Aura of dismay is a game-changer though, there's no doubt about that, although all your heroes in your said list already have terror becuase the ring will give it to Isildur.

It's a tricky decision for which spells you want to use and how much will you put into each one, but obviously it depends what you're playing against. Blinding light against goblins or aura of dismay against Elven heroes or the fellowship for example are cases when you wouldn't use those spells, as they'll have little effect on the opponent.

Cirdan is by no means good for his points compared to the captain or Erestor who are around the same points level, but as long as you don't face a wraith or anything with sap will, you should be fine. In the battle of the last alliance though, Cirdan would have been fighting, so it would probably be better for theme (and competitiveness (if that's even a word)) to just use a high elf captain to represent him.

Thanks, LordElrond.

P.S. If you face even just a budget wraith with that army, Cirdan and Isildur are royally screwed, so I wouldn't take it to a tournament if I were you.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Aura of Dismay is pretty terrific, but with only 4 Will and 1 Might, it's not unlikely to be a waste of spent points. Blinding Light is good, but these days requires a Might to remain useful (especially on casters with no free will each turn). So there's a Will and Might gone, leaving another Will to get Aura of Command off (not that amazing with Elves, but still useful), leaving another Will to possibly resist Sap Will.. but truth be told, if you're facing enemy casters, you're not going to last anyway.
If the opponent has no ranged weapons, I'd be inclined to chuck three dice on Aura of Dismay.. potentially channelled if you feel like gambling (three dice needing a 5+ for an incredible effect, otherwise 3 dice needing a 4+ as you've got the Might to boost the roll, but will restrict the spell to 6").
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:03 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You all forgot the best use one could make out of Cirdan.
You sell him on ebay and use the money to buy someone better.

Jokes aside, I see him as useless. He can do one thing: You can cast Aura of Command with one dice and Aura of Dismay with 2, keeping the might point to boost a poor roll. Then is job is done, you have to keep that last will point to keep the spells alive but he himself would be in danger because, since the spell range is limited, you have to keep him in the middle.
That being said, a Sap Will spell will make him nothing more then a point sink. For way less then his points, I could field a Barad-Dur uruk captain. With a Nazgul in town, he will have C6 and 1 will, which means that he can pass his courage with anything but double ones.

Note: Cirdan is very, very old. is actually the only elf we know with a Beard.