Elven Elder

Allatar 150 pts

5F 4S 5D 1A 3W 7C 3/6*/3
Wargear
Sword and Staff (two handed weapon)
Special Rules
*Staff of Power
Sword and Staff:
Allatar can choose to use his staff and sword instead of just his staff. If he chooses to use both, he gains an extra attack. Otherwise, he may use his staff as a two handed weapon, but does not suffer the -1 penalty to win.
Emmisary to the East:
Easterlings can be included in your good force, but only captains can be included as additional heros. They have the same profile, except thay have 4 courage and are 8 pts (not including wargear). Kataphrakts may be included with 4 courage and cost 15 pts. Allatar has a 12in Stand Fast!, but only Easterlings can take advantage of it. If Pallando is also on the table, both wizards count as banners, but only to Easterlings.
Magic
Terrifying Aura 2+
Immobilise 3+ 12in
Bolt of Lightning 6+ 18in If this spell is not resisted, the target and every model within base contact (friend and foe) is paralysed (see the Barrow-Wights).
Earthquake 4+ This spell acts just like Natures Wrath, unless the models effected are in a building, in which case they take a S8 hit.

Pallando 150 pts

5/3+F 4S 5D 1A 3W 7C 3/6*/3
Wargear
Staff, Dagger and Elf Bow
Special Rules
*Staff of Power
Staff and Bow:
Pallando may use both his staff (two handed weapon) and his bow.
Expert Shot
Emmisary to the East:
Easterlings can be included in your good force, but only captains can be included as additional heros. They have the same profile, except thay have 4 courage and are 8 pts (not including wargear). Kataphrakts may be included with 4 courage and cost 15 pts. Pallando has a 12in Stand Fast!, but only Easterlings can take advantage of it. If Allatar is also on the table, both wizards count as banners, but only to Easterlings.
Magic
Terrifying Aura 2+
Immobilise 3+ 12in
Command 4+
Renew 3+ 18in
Strengthen Will 4+ 18in
Cast Blinding Light 2+

Fluff:
Of the 5 Istari who came to Middle-Earth, 3 went into the East, but only Saruman returned. Tales tell of how the actions of the 2 blue wizards in the East had an effect on the fate of Gondor, though it is unclear exactly how. Some say that they began a secret cult of Illuvitar in a land where most worshipped Morgoth. From this cult, the blue wizards began a rebellion, delaying the build up Sauron's forces in the East. Of the two, Allatar was said to be the leader, prefering more destructive magic and hand to hand combat while Pallando was more of a supporter, using healing powers and his skill with a bow to help in the revolution.

I got the idea of them being "combat wizards" from the Council of Wizardry in the WotR rulebook and from a John Howe (I think) painting of them where they both had bows and swords. Tell me what you think about them.

Last edited by Draugluin on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Blue Wizard House profiles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

And you get both of them for 300 pts. Sort of a "synergy profile".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Firstly, thank FSM you've called them Alatar and Pallando and not what GW called them.

Secondly, I like them, except fpr the fact that Pallando carries a bow.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Like I said, I wanted them to combat wizards, and I saw a painting of them with bows. I wanted one to be the fighter, the other the supporter, so I made one sorta like Gimli, the other sorta like Legolas. What else, other than a bow, would fit his role as a supporter?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:51 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Draugluin wrote:
Like I said, I wanted them to combat wizards, and I saw a painting of them with bows. I wanted one to be the fighter, the other the supporter, so I made one sorta like Gimli, the other sorta like Legolas. What else, other than a bow, would fit his role as a supporter?

A Staff.

A Wizard need no other wargear than a Staff, and at most a sword as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:59 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

He already has a staff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:12 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I noticed, but what I mean is that a Wizard does not need another weapon, a bow looks cheesy, much like several characters by GW and by the War in the North game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:21 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I like your idea. If I may, I would like to use them for my armies. The bow adds a different flare to the standard image of wizards, GW or not. Very creative and imaginative.

What would the individual cost for each be? Just curious as I am looking for a single Mage profile (other than the StormCaller) and I am warming up to yours. Thanks for posting your idea.

-Scar :puppy:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:28 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I guess 130 for each. That would put their banner abilities at 20 points each when you combine them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Been playing with the Blue Wizards a lot of late. Either as a dual or singly and here are my thoughts.

I find that I have to explain where/who/what the Blue Wizards are, that they're not some random entity that GW mentioned in some long forgotten back issue of WD.
The other is explaining why they cost 150pt each. Had to break down Gandalf and a Blue Wizard more than once. ((For the Banner Ability, I have left it at both wizards had to be on the table))

What I'm finding is that the Lightning spell coupled with Natures Wrath is a tad much. I like the effects of both, but if you spam them together, back-to-back rounds, you're really going to screw up your friends day.

I have toyed around with switching 2 spells around. For Pallando I have dropped Command and given him Bolt of Lightning and Allatar has been given Command and drops Bolt of Lightning. This has been received better, in my gaming group, than when they have stayed as originally described. Mainly its due to the point levels we play (500-750). I can only ever field 1 or the other. I found that sinking 300pts into 2 models at 750 is still a major handicap. If I do get them both on the table at the same time, then they still stay the way I mentioned (with the switched spells).

Thoughts?

- :puppy:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:30 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm ok with that. It sorta goes against the fluff that I gave, but does still keep Pallando as a supporting hero. I myself haven't played with them much (as in just once to make sure that they weren't super overpowered or anything and I still haven't converted a suitable Pallando yet). I can see how Bolt of Lightning can be really annoying when coupled with Nature's Wrath, which was why I gave a 6+ to cast. I can also definitely see 300 pts being way to much for 2 models at that level, and with Warbands it would actually be better to have them be seperate so you can have 2 warbands instead of one. Thanks for actually using them!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thank you! They're a blast to play with and I like the idea of staying within Tolkien, but going outside the mainstream box.

As for the switching of the spells. I was more asking what you thought. If I keep both Lightning and Earthquake on Allatar my opponent has at least a round (if they get priority) to negate the 2nd spell. Separating the spells among the 2 I circumvent that and then I would be able to use both spells within the same round. If I fielded both then I think this option would be overpowered....1 successfully cast Lightning followed by the other successfully casting Earthquake then the troops rush in and slaughter the defenseless enemies. The only hiccup would be losing the roll to see which hero gets off the Heroic Move 1st, and if the spells are resisted.

hmmm....I think I just wrote myself back to liking your original profile....no sense reinventing the wheel.

Again, thank you for getting that profile out to us. -Scar :puppy: