All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:57 am

Post subject: Lets talk about Rohan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So we've all heard it before, they're a hard army to use with a specialty that isn't quite up to par. However, now that SBG has started in earnest in my area (for the last two years i was the only player in Northern CA with an army above 100pts) we have so far 4 isenguard players! The fifth being myself who plays the Grey Company. With all of the Uruk-hai that need killing, Rohan is looking tastier. Not to mention that it would almost level the playing field with me learning an army alongside my compatriots instead of running circles around them with the Grey Company.

So lets break Rohan down:

They have some above average combat characters in Eomer, Knight of the Pelennor, Erkenbrand, and King Theodan. They have some cheap sources of might with their captains/hobbits/eowyn. Not to mention the ability to restore Might to characters within 3" of Gamling with the Royal Standard. Not too shabby! However they have a sufficient lack of magic, and low Will stocks. On a final character positive note, they have access to troop upgrades through Grimbold and Erkenbrand.

Their troops is where it starts getting slightly depressing. The basic warrior is medium priced, with a plethora of upgrades but lacks a spear!!! Zero supporting attacks. Not to mention the F3 and STR 3 is slightly depressing, i'm just imaging in my head them getting cut through like a hot knife through butter by Uruks and Morannons.

The Riders are nice, but expensive, they come with a full battery of weapons with the options to include throwing spears. However, it makes them even more pricy!

Rohan Royal Guard seem attractive with a solid Defense and the bonus to their Fight. Consider adding Throwing Spears.

Sorry if this seems rambling this has almost turned into a list construction idea pool from my brain into typing of the internet haha.

List ideas:

Throwing Spears! Lets focus on them! I think this is a much overlooked portion of the Rohirrim Army. Each warrior is able to charge AND throw a spear in the same turn! That makes us look super deadly on paper. Str 4 becomes even nicer, i'm talking about you Grimbold! However i currently cannot take any Named Characters as we're building a campaign around unnamed Heroes.

So the typical Warband:

Captain of Rohan - 60pts.
-Spears, Heavy Armor, Shield

4x Rohan Royal Guard - 48pts.
-Throwing Spears

4x Riders of Rohan - 52pts.

4x Warriors of Rohan - 28pts
-Shields

Total Warband Cost: 188pts.

Provides me with a solid base of Troops and i'm using the Riders to fill my Bow Limit. Some test games have shown that mobile archery has proven more effective than static. Not to mention that in the late game, a timely flank/rear charge should be able to shatter my opponents line... More to come, i'm curious to hear some of the communities thoughts on the Rohirrim! Have at it Gents!
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about Rohan
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As a Rohan player, I might be able to add something to your force. While it's a pity you can't take any riders of the westfold or helmingas, Rohan isn't completly defenceless. I like your list, but I would mount your capitainfor a couple reasons:

A) essentially it adds a fate point if your getting shot at. If your horse is shot out from under you, well Devlan Mud, but its better than taking a wound on your hero.
B) The extra attack at S4 is quite nice. 3 dice if you charge, and 6 dice if you win the battle, good odds to roll at least a 6.
C) Calvery attacks + might? 'Nuff said. A particularly painful move I found is to lose the initive, but be close enough to charge the enemy hero with yours. If you can get your hero in there + a few other cav's or troops and call a heroic battle, you stand a good chance at beheading your foe. Yea, a 6 will always beat you, but at 2 attacks, you shouldn't lose your capitain. If you fail to kill him, charge again. Your hero and 1 other cav winning a battle is 6 dice to wound on 5+ and 4 dice to wound on 6+. Rack up 2-3 of these babies or use might to push you into that zone and you have a dead hero.

Lastly, if your capitain is with your mounted forces, and you lost initive and are about to be charge, use a heroic move to get them out of there (or pull a rohan and charge head first? :twisted: ). 1 might is much better than getting your cav charged.

Hope this helped :)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

With Rohan it's always all mounted for me. Apart from archers I don't really use Rohan troops (I have a houserule where they dont automatically come with bows) Hit and run tactics with loads of cheap heroes are great! Rohan are a real fun force to play with if you do an all mounted.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:46 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Agree with Battalia on the mounted captain. Though I don't house rule the bow away for RoR, I usually end up with about 1/2 mounted because I add in RRG and Sons of Eorl.
How many points are you aiming for?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So, in my opinion, (based on no warbands play) I think Gamling is going to be an all star. More hero's means more free might. They thought aragorn had it good how about 3-4 free might a turn? Make all the heroic moves and combats you want.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Assuming that you have a game with enough points to afford him. The trick is to balance commons with hero's and a 100 point hero tips that balance hard. Although im starting to wonder if a rohan all star force would work. 500 points-ish is about 6-7 rohan heros... free might per turn for them all and having hero calvery run loose is a nightmare for any opponant. Heroic combat into the enemy heros and then strike at the flanks from there. With limitless might, a heroic move means you never lose priority if the enemy heros are dead. Your biggest problem would be archers taking out your steeds. Still sounds fun though.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Its not a free point of might per turn. Its if they have 0 Might they increase their total to 1.

Fun fact is i'm using my Dwarves + Grey Company for the campaign.

Therefore if i'm going to start Rohan, i'll be using named characters which should flush out the army more.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I once played an almost all-hero battle for fun. It was 700 points of Rohan heroes vs about the same in dwarf heroes. Everyone was on foot, and we fought a battle to the death just to see what would happen. I know it's an extremely bad army list, but we were just doing it for fun (kind of like the Sauron vs all the Ringwraiths battle....the Ringwraiths destroyed Sauron. :lol: If only they had teamed up against him in the books....)

Rohan had Theoden, Eomer (Knight of the Pelennor), Theodred, Eowyn, Erkenbrand, Gamling with Royal Standard, Hama, Grimbold, 2x Rohan Captains, 2x Royal Guard (to fill out extra points).
The Dwarves had every single Dwarven named hero plus a couple of Khazad/Iron Guard to fill out the extra points.
So it was something like 9 Rohan heroes (and 2 RG) vs 7 dwarven heroes (and a couple soldiers).

The Dwarven heroes are much more powerful, but I was hoping the numbers and Royal Standard would help.

In the end, Rohan got slaughtered. The only Rohan hero with F6 is the buffed up Eomer, and only about half can get D7. The dwarve's lowest D was 6, on the Iron Guard, and highest was 9 on Dain and Durin. Most of the Dwarves had F6 and D8+. In addition, most of the dwarven heroes had combat bonuses (+1 to wound, reroll a die, etc.) while Rohan has nothing of the sort. The standard allowed me to recklessly use might every single turn by multiple heroes, but ultimately the Rohan heroes were just too outclassed. Eomer went crazy pretty early on, and actually did a lot more damage that way (S5 helped, though I had to charge whoever was closest). His 3 wounds and 3 fate actually kept him alive almost to the end, despite D4.

Anyways, yes the Royal Banner is nice, but planning on exploiting it as a main strategy doesn't work very well. In a large battle, the standard with a couple heroes around it would be useful, but definitely support them with troops. And one might per turn is only so useful when that's also the max you can use per turn and the heroes receiving it are generally medium-low level heroes. For most circumstances, the banner with heroes are just too expensive to invest in.

Forth Eorlingas!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Too bad the outriders aren't heros anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Too bad the outriders are completely useless under the new rules :Smackdown:

Why did you dismount all the Rohan hero's? Dwarves are experts at hand to hand combat on foot, rohan are expert riders, that's like pitting a racecar and a motorcycle in a drag race, but making the motorcycle driver have to use his truck that hauls his bike to the race :P

I wouldn't mind a rematch with a mounted rohan force (well, as much as you can of course) :twisted:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I suggest you take a serious look at Erkenbrand. In a 200 pt game you can have Erkenbrand on a horse, 6 red-shield riders with throwing spears, and 2 more without.

This allows you a very mobile and elite force with a modest amount of warriors, a full bow limit, a high courage of 5 in case anything goes wrong, and 3 might points to seize priority in order to keep the charge going or to make a tactical retreat. Also, when you do get your charge off, the red-shield's fight of 4 will keep you winning fights and 4 attacks with knock down will make it easy to kill pretty much anything (minus a troll).

The major difficulty that this army will face will be smart players who use forests to their advantage. This can be dealt with by bow fire and throwing spears in the shoot phase.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If I do team up Rohan + Dwarves, I would certaintly take advantage of the cavalry, the dwarves lack on this, and adding a few riders and a leader on horse to manage the charges and turn priorities, making me able to race to each point of the map providing vital support to the dwarf defences, I would certaintly use this :D

Also its super easy to trap enemy units being attacked by 2 sides, one is extremely fast and got alot of attacks if they win the combat, in the other side, extremely hard to kill and skilled warriors with fight 4 +.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Cavalry auto traps if they win, you don't need to flank someone with cavalry to trap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I dont mean knocking into the ground, but cutting off the enemy retreat possibility, trapping also those that are not in the fight with the riders and get surrounded by all sides :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

[quote="Battalia"]Too bad the outriders are completely useless under the new rules quote]

Outriders are Rohan's new cheap Rangers! No spear option, but for only 7 points you get 3+ accuracy and a Stand Fast bonus. My former Rohan archers are all getting a plume conversion.