All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:16 am

Post subject: Nazgul Tactics
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey all,

Ive recently started to play a mordor force and i always like to run a basic wraith or the witch king. Problem is I never feel like im getting the best out of him.

I put him in the front linesto cast transix, black art etc but then when he got stuck in combat he went down like a lead balloon..one wound & not much will after 2 or 3 turns of casting meant he didnt stick around too long! :(

Then i tried keeping him in the second rank, firing spells then pull him away when the combat is joined. However, he then spent the rest of the game wandering around behind the lines trying to get a line of sight on something! I know a fell beast/horse would solve a few problems with line of sight and manoeuvrability but the on foot models all I have in my collection atm.

So my questions are how do I get the best out of my wraith in a battle? What spells should he be casting and at who? Where does he really fit into the army!? Oh and is the WK's flail any good?

Cheers,
Stephen

Post subject: Re: Nazgul Tactics
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hi my friend, Nazgul are excellent mages... Of course if you know to use them... But there are some basic 'rules' about them:
1) Never in combat, the only expection is if you give Witch-king the morgul crown 8)
2) Now about their spells:
Black dart: Not to be used too much, it must be for something important like a hero with high defense or when a warrior is capturing an objective and your models are far and almost out of time...
Compel: Good to take heroes into serious combat, to circle them or to smash them with a troll
Drain courage: Another spell to be used against heroes, when the force is broken ... bye bye hero and then the warriors follow...
Sap will: I don't know if it is very good as you both lose will but if you want to kill the enemy hero sap his will and make him weak with the next spell...
Transfix: Better than compel, can bring down strong heroes like Boromir or Gimli etc.
Your staff is broken!: Time to get rid of the Istari :wink:
So I believe the mist used spells should be Transfix/Compel, Black dart should be used in difficult situations and dran courage when your enemy has few heroes...
Now about the line... It's easy to move your warriors away to allow spelling cast... Again if you can't the only option I see is to have 2 wraiths or to give Witch-king morgul crown(if you have the mordor sourcebook) and no stopped...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 pm 
You have done well in understanding the various Magical Powers. What Might/Will/Fate did you supply him with? I believe according to Might/Will/Fate Special Rules under Ringwraiths (US book page 141, Ringwraiths), you may purchase extra M/W/F for an 5 points each. The starting M/W/F you have supplied him will give insight into his tactical advantages/disadvantages. I would like to know that before I can may further analysis.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ardboe wrote:
Then i tried keeping him in the second rank, firing spells then pull him away when the combat is joined. However, he then spent the rest of the game wandering around behind the lines trying to get a line of sight on something! I know a fell beast/horse would solve a few problems with line of sight and manoeuvrability but the on foot models all I have in my collection atm.
Stephen

Thats why i like using radagast :)

I can't really help tbh.. Every time when i use a wraith its always on a horse so i never really get this problem. Yeah idk.. I'm starting to feel like i just made a pointless post..
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would say only use basic wraiths if you are using multiples of them and they are all cost lees than 70pts, and you have the Undying.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The named versions GW brought out have some decent special rules so if you plan on using a Ringwraith with full M/W/F then go for a named one. If you only like using the unnamed wraiths then keep them cheap and cheery. They should be used to

1) Hinder enemy heroes
The most expensive enemy hero is what you should target. Sap Will if the hero has more than 1 Will point. Now if you want to try and kill the hero fast, Compel him forward out of the front line and surround him, double hits for being trapped. Then Transfix turn after turn. This can be risky as one failed roll to transfix might leave your wraith exposed in the next turn.

The other option is to take pot shots with Black Dart. If the hero has 3+ attacks this may be your best option and using 2 Will per turn might be a good investment!

Don't engage enemy heroes with unnamed Wraiths on foot, they may call a Heroic Move against you in the turn after!

2) Terror and Harbingers of Evil
Your Wraith causes Terror but more importantly causes all Good models within 12" to suffer a -1 penalty to courage. You can exploit this by taking Terror causing models such as the Black Numenoreans, Trolls, Shelob etc. If your Nazgul is alive in later turns when your opponents army breaks, this will pay dividends! Just make sure you tackle the enemy heroes first. If your wraith has only 1 will remaining, leave him at the rear of your lines, that -1 to courage of 12" is worth having.

When it comes to choosing stats, it matters how you plan on using the Wraith. When you are fielding one on foot, this limits its abilities and options, for instance it shouldn't see much combat (therefore don't max out on Fate). It also depends on the size of the match AND what the rest of your army will consist of. Below are a few examples

300pt Match
Ringwraith (2/9/0)
1x Mordor Orc Captain
24x Orcs
12 Orc Trackers

600pt Match
Ringwraith (2/12/1)
1 Mordor Orc Captain
1 Morannon Orc Captain
24 Morannon Orcs (shields)
24 Mordor Orcs (spears)
12 Orc Trackers
Troll

Personally I would take a Ringwraith on Horse. If only for the L-O-S advantage, but also you can then use it in combat in later turns, 2 attacks on charge, terror causing, defence 8 etc. If you do go for a steed, take some Fate points. Try using one with a Troll Cheiftain or Shelob! Just watch out for enemy bowfire 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Cheer for the advice guys,

Im thinking that i just expected too much from my basic wraith, I bought 2 might and 2 fate points. Used up all the might in the first two turns casting black art on balin..unsuccessful on both occasions(crazy defence on that guy) and the fate never got touched. More will in the next game is a must! A few people mentioned named wraiths, they all kind of seem the same to me, what are their different specialities/uses?

Another thing im considering as an alternative to a wraith is a shaman, specifically on a warg. What are your views on shamans? pros an cons? < or > than a wraiths? Picking up the mordor source book tomorrow so Ill throw up an army list then!

Cheers,
Stephen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The only reason to use a shaman is Fury. I would never bother with Transfix, it just isn't worth using up will like that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ringwraiths are better than shamans 8)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well thats put that one to bed! Decided on a nazgul anyway, put up my army list in army help section if anyone has any advice!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Generic Wraiths have just one purpose and that is to disable enemy heroes with magic, don't forget Drain Courage, one of the best spells and easiest to cast as well. Cast a few of these on an important hero, break the enemy and see him run. They should only be used in a fight when mounted on a Fellbeast and then used as an assassin against a hero after you have Transixed him or against multiple warriors, especially cavalry.