All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:18 am

Post subject: Overpowered Harad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It's been said before, but it's probably cos Mat Ward likes them, and he writes the rules... I think we are gonna see a lot more Harad armies in play now. It's a very unbalanced army, methinks.

Post subject: Re: Overpowered Harad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The only report read in wich he played, he lost from some dwarves?! :shock: His own overpowered armies lost?! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Why's Harad more overpowered? In my opinion, the extra points cost has made them less overpowered.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I wish the Mahud Warriors still had their original 2 Attacks!
...robbed I tell you, robbed!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

MeatBoy1994 wrote:
It's been said before, but it's probably cos Mat Ward likes them, and he writes the rules... I think we are gonna see a lot more Harad armies in play now. It's a very unbalanced army, methinks.

Harad used to be slightly overpowered, but only just slightly. Now with the increase of basic haradrim points by 1 they are as balanced as they should have always been. And weren't the newest rules written/updated by Adam Troke, not Mat Ward?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

BlackMist wrote:
MeatBoy1994 wrote:

Harad used to be slightly overpowered, but only just slightly. Now with the increase of basic haradrim points by 1 they are as balanced as they should have always been. And weren't the newest rules written/updated by Adam Troke, not Mat Ward?

Check out the Harad elites and their points cost, and they have 2 uber heroes, one which has 4 attacks and a +1 to wound! To top it all off, the cheapest cavalry in the game, and the powerful mumak... It's a shame the Mahud where nerfed, coz they were some verrrrrrry strong fighters.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

MeatBoy1994 wrote:
BlackMist wrote:
MeatBoy1994 wrote:

Check out the Harad elites and their points cost, and they have 2 uber heroes, one which has 4 attacks and a +1 to wound! To top it all off, the cheapest cavalry in the game, and the powerful mumak... It's a shame the Mahud where nerfed, coz they were some verrrrrrry strong fighters.

Check out the insanely low defense and fight values of those uber heroes, not to mention that it's impossible to hide the golden king from bowfire due to is chair. Gimli laughs in their facees.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

MeatBoy1994 wrote:

No.

You're either about 5 years late, and looking at the Harard Sourcebook, or you don't know what overpowered means...

If you have the Fallen Realms book, compare a Mahud to a Dunlending Warrior...yeah, not so overpowered.
Yes, Watchers and Abrakhan Guard may by priced slightly lower than usual, but they are nothing compared to the Black Numenoreans, which was only available to Mordor before these books came out.

Others have mentioned the Golden King has serious Line-of-sight issues, as in the way rolls are much harder to get, the extra wound merely compensates for this, but also increases the cost, you can get almost 3 captains for his price.

Previously 1pt overpriced Haradrim Warriors have now been fixed. Not to mention, the Warrior of Karna upgrade for them is ridiculously overpriced, as Shoot Value is sometime given for free anyway, e.g. Orc Trackers.

Mat Ward's work has been undone, stop complaining about Harad being overpowered.

OERP
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:50 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Don't forget they can now have 50% bows! Decent compromise if you ask me. Only thing I don't like is the Mahud change

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

lorderkenbrand wrote:
Don't forget they can now have 50% bows! Decent compromise if you ask me. Only thing I don't like is the Mahud change

Yes, but to do that their troop choices are severly limited, and the only archers you can take are Haradrim Warrior and Watchers of Karna.

Yes its an advantage, but Harad has definately not become more powerful.

OERP
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

lorderkenbrand wrote:
Only thing I don't like is the Mahud change

Thematically it's more in line. There was no reason for them to be so overpowered compared everyone else...Gondor and Numenor are already humiliated (not as viable armies or heroes, but as individual warriors...very un-Tolkien).

Still, Mahud camels used to be my favourite evil troops...not so much anymore. They still look great though.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
Still, Mahud camels used to be my favourite evil troops...not so much anymore. They still look great though.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It's the time of the Reaver now with the defence increase and F5 2A, that's where it's at. Beat all armies and draw with elves? Yes, please. And there are no official models, so I can convert some corsair warriors for cheap? Thank you very, very much.

The 50% bow limit is kind of redundant as you severely limit your troop choices. Unless you go Abrakan + Watchers backed up by harad + bow + spear
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The newbie wrote:
It's the time of the Reaver now with the defence increase and F5 2A, that's where it's at. Beat all armies and draw with elves? Yes, please. And there are no official models, so I can convert some corsair warriors for cheap? Thank you very, very much.

The 50% bow limit is kind of redundant as you severely limit your troop choices. Unless you go Abrakan + Watchers backed up by harad + bow + spear

Although I love Reavers, I do think that the Watchers outclass them, they are less points, and if you count the number of stat increases and special rules in relation to their cost, they should be about 13 points or something. The same can be said about Black Numenoreans, just putting those two on the same page as the Mahud shows how diffferently priced the different troop types are, I've honestly no idea how they've worked out the cost, as the whole 'each increase of baseline profile = 1 point' formula seems to have gone out of the window for some warriors.

Reavers are fairly balanced for their points cost, and yes, I love them. :P

OERP
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:05 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The newbie wrote:

The new Easterling cavalry kit is perfect for this, lots of extra swords. I took some shield+sword corsairs, shaved down the shield until only the boss was left, which forms a nice cutlass hand-guard. Glue on a sword blade and the pommel and presto...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Meatboy, the guys are right, Harad is no longer overpowered, though a few units in the list are; Black Numenoreans being the prime example.

Also the purpose ogf the Golden King os not to attack, unless a chance against a low foght/transfixed hero arises, the point is for dismay, to lower courage, useful when coupled with a Wraith or two, and theogh the King is tournament material, he is no way undeeatable, he has low fight, defence and can get shot easily.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I still think 50% bows with rerolls on 1s to wound is lethal! Throw in a Betrayer and you can reroll all those 2s too! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

whafrog wrote:
lorderkenbrand wrote:
Only thing I don't like is the Mahud change

Thematically it's more in line. There was no reason for them to be so overpowered compared everyone else...Gondor and Numenor are already humiliated (not as viable armies or heroes, but as individual warriors...very un-Tolkien).

I agree they were overpowered but they are just not worth their points now :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

lorderkenbrand wrote:
I still think 50% bows with rerolls on 1s to wound is lethal! Throw in a Betrayer and you can reroll all those 2s too! :)

If I haven't said so before, if leading infantry, the Betrayer is best with 50% Serpent Guards (or Poisoned Black Numenoreans) and 50% Harad Warriors w/ spears and bows.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
Others have mentioned the Golden King has serious Line-of-sight issues, as in the way rolls are much harder to get, the extra wound merely compensates for this, but also increases the cost, you can get almost 3 captains for his price.

Please, please, please, please read the rulebook...

It is the WHOLE model that you're shooting at, not the King on the top. Same as you're shooting at the whole Balrog or the whole Dragon, so as long as a piece of their foot is obscured there is ALWAYS and In The Way roll. You're also shooting at the whole Witch King on Fell Beast - if there is clear view to the WK, but the beast's leg is covered, you get an In The Way. The only exception is the tail.

MeatBoy1994 wrote:
and the powerful mumak

Ie. the exact model which is "oh so uber powerful" according to the noobs and "what a waste of time" to anybody who played 1 game against a very good player who knows how to deal with the Mumak.

MeatBoy1994 wrote:
Check out the Harad elites and their points cost, and they have 2 uber heroes, one which has 4 attacks and a +1 to wound! To top it all off, the cheapest cavalry in the game, and the powerful mumak...

The Golden King is not a combat hero due to his utterly useless F4. On the other hand you ignored his real strength - his special rule. Erm... from what I see you don't understand the game very well and have barely any idea about game balance, as well as what works and what doesn't, and most of all *why it works*.

I completely agree with The Newbie - Reavers are the next big thing, 50% bows is useless because it limits Reavers.