All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:40 am

Post subject: Learning SBG
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have a problem with SBG. While I learnt WOTR by just reading it over 4-5 times, I have read and played SBG many times now, and I still forget half the rules, subrules, exceptions etc. How do I get my head around it?

:puppy:
 Post subject: Re: Learning SBG
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

hm, many, many battles I played were played half without having to roll if you hit your target with shooting weapons, that's not nice when your elevs are against goblins. But just play some battles, carefully searching for your mistakes, and then just read that paragraphs trough again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Telchar wrote:
I have a problem with SBG. While I learnt WOTR by just reading it over 4-5 times, I have read and played SBG many times now, and I still forget half the rules, subrules, exceptions etc. How do I get my head around it?

This is interesting as I am about to embark on SBG having picked up and played wotr over the last 18 months!
Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I shall share some wisdom that will hopefully accelerate your learning, having taught many, several of whom have become quite formidable.

First rule of thumb, know your basic rules, such as how moving, shooting, fighting, heroic actions, and the basics of magic. Know these along with the wounding chart. These are the basics, learn them and you are capable. Now, you only need to have the most important parts of the wounding chart memorized, S2-S7 for D4-D8. That will get you through a great many situations.

As a brief rule of thumb on the wound chart, if your strength is 2 higher than the D, it takes a 3 to wound. If the D is 2 higher than S, it takes a 6.

Then, know the profiles of what you like to use most often. Also know other basic profiles, like the average profile for a given race (Warrior of Minas Tirith, Moria Goblin, etc.).

Once you have most of this, then you will have a pretty good grasp on the game. If necessary, make exercises for yourself designed to reinforce a particular point- i.e., fight a battle with yourself where the force you want to improve with consists of entirely heroes, don't play the other side too hard (but hard enough that you have to actually consider what to do), and practice how to use heroic combats. These types of exercises can be quite useful.

As for other things, carry a rulebook, or a rules summary with you when you go to play- there are still some things, like the Mumak, that I don't know all the rules of, but I do know the basics, and have the general idea of what's happening.

Don't be afraid to ask the opponent for the profile of something- this isn't exactly 40k here, and I imagine we are friendly here, yes? :)

You'll pick it up, though I can understand how you have a little trouble making the shift to SBG after playing WotR several times- I did SBG for several years (updating the mental rulebook many times). But don't be afraid! You'll get it! Keep it up!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would scan and print out the profiles to have handy, and the back of the rulebook is nice too for the wounding chart and such. You just have to read the rules a few times and play some games with people who have a good grasp on the game.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Valamir wrote:
I shall share some wisdom that will hopefully accelerate your learning, having taught many, several of whom have become quite formidable.

First rule of thumb, know your basic rules, such as how moving, shooting, fighting, heroic actions, and the basics of magic. Know these along with the wounding chart. These are the basics, learn them and you are capable. Now, you only need to have the most important parts of the wounding chart memorized, S2-S7 for D4-D8. That will get you through a great many situations.

As a brief rule of thumb on the wound chart, if your strength is 2 higher than the D, it takes a 3 to wound. If the D is 2 higher than S, it takes a 6.

Then, know the profiles of what you like to use most often. Also know other basic profiles, like the average profile for a given race (Warrior of Minas Tirith, Moria Goblin, etc.).

Once you have most of this, then you will have a pretty good grasp on the game. If necessary, make exercises for yourself designed to reinforce a particular point- i.e., fight a battle with yourself where the force you want to improve with consists of entirely heroes, don't play the other side too hard (but hard enough that you have to actually consider what to do), and practice how to use heroic combats. These types of exercises can be quite useful.

As for other things, carry a rulebook, or a rules summary with you when you go to play- there are still some things, like the Mumak, that I don't know all the rules of, but I do know the basics, and have the general idea of what's happening.

Don't be afraid to ask the opponent for the profile of something- this isn't exactly 40k here, and I imagine we are friendly here, yes? :)

You'll pick it up, though I can understand how you have a little trouble making the shift to SBG after playing WotR several times- I did SBG for several years (updating the mental rulebook many times). But don't be afraid! You'll get it! Keep it up!

I play at home, so I have everything with me, the problem is I totally forget about things! (from as basic things as a to hit roll with archers to special rules for Treebeard, everything!). My opponent is my brother, who isn't even remotely interested in actually learning the rules (he lets me do the work), so no help there. And I'm so bad at memorising stuff I'll keep that for school work :twisted: .

But I'll try the "play against yourself" bit. Thanks for the advice.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

In those games, play with just warriors against warriors. About 50 pts per side should do. This will keep you focused on just the basic rules, without bothering with any heros. Once you can get through a few games like that without to much trouble, add in a captain or two and get used to them. Then add in some of the monsters and other models etc. Just build up with the amount of rules that you're utilizing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:02 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have succesfully taught the game to many of my friends. I usually start by playing one or two games with only the basic rules - movement, shooting and combats. No heroes, cavalry, barriers, mumaks or anything more complicated than a handful of warriors on foot against another similar troop. Then I introduce the other rules to them one per game, usually starting with M/W/F and heroic actions, then bringing in cavalry, courage, banners and other simple things. Only later I teach them magic, barriers and more complicated rules. When they can play a game with our current rules without too much trouble, will I bring in more stuff.

And we usually play scenarios I have prepared for that purpose instead of throwing the new player into army selection before they know how the rules work.

So I think you might benefit from taking the rules piece by piece like Draugluin suggested. It has worked well for teaching others so it might work for learning by yourself.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've learned that its ok to slow things down. When you're learning new rules, trying to remember everything at once its best to slow the pace down and go from each model and double check that everything has been done. Even if that means checking profiles, notes, army list, etc; just to make sure that you have done everything possible for that model in that situation/combat.

It is a great idea to photo copy the quick reference guide in the back of the ORB for ....quick reference :P (even go so far as laminating it). Heck I still play every game with the ORB opened to that page, I suck at remembering the Wounding Chart.