All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:09 am

Post subject: Minas Tirith
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Anyone having good House Profiles for making Gondorrians more on par with the ones found in the Books and those depicted in the movies? Hard core, stalwart, combat savvy.

I would like to see if there are any ideas floating out there that I can use. When I get time I'll list profiles that I think that would bring them on par with what we've read about them.

- :puppy:

Post subject: Re: Minas Tirith
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Mmm. No, I don't have any off hand, but I would be happy to make some!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:26 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fight and Courage 4 for the professional, Minas Tirith soldiers?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:15 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

In the books they wear only chainmail if I'm correct.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You could check out Whafrog's "By the Book" house rules. Don't have a link.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:37 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Found it::::

whafrog wrote:
Hi, if anyone is interested, I've posted everything I've done for my "By the Book" project on a wiki:

http://lotr-bythebook.wikispaces.com/

The purpose of this is to revamp profiles to better reflect the book than the movies. It is *far* from complete, but there is a lot done. Feel free to comment, suggest profiles, etc. Cheers!

Thanks Whafrog for the work! Gondorrians look great!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thanks. I haven't done any work on it for a long while, got kind of bogged down thinking about how to handle Easterlings (nothing like the movies) and Umbar (much more like Gondor, since during the civil war the losers all fled south, and Umbar basically became South Gondor). Now I need to revisit the whole thing with warbands and upgrades in mind.

I think the Gondor profiles could use a bit more regional flavour, I kind of lumped fiefdoms into one profile. If you have any ideas, let me know.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I just play that all Gondor units gain a special rule that gives them +1 to broken forces tests. Makes them more like the books without making them so much better that any player will complain.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That unbalances the game, and is really unfair to your opponent unless you give him some sort of advantage as well.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:39 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If they play around half of the armies in the game, they already have a large advantage to begin with.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Draugluin wrote:
If they play around half of the armies in the game, they already have a large advantage to begin with.

Sorry didn't quite understand this point. Do you mean that the other factions already have an advantage on Gondor, and so, you're only filling the gap? Or do you mean that Gondor already has an advangtage?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Gondor is already at a disadvantage, just filling the gap. Even though they have the best heros in the game (Aragorn and Boromir) they're just a bit too expensive to be great. Gondor's warriors are also too far inferior to many of the other races.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Draugluin wrote:
Gondor is already at a disadvantage, just filling the gap. Even though they have the best heros in the game (Aragorn and Boromir) they're just a bit too expensive to be great. Gondor's warriors are also too far inferior to many of the other races.

And their warriors are priced accordingly. Also Gondor has a great mid-level hero in Faramir (who can be given shield and armoured horse now), a reasonably priced Uber-Hero in Imrahil, a bunch of cheap heroes like Pippin, Beregond and Damrod, and no less than four cheap 3-mighters in Angbor, Farlong, Cirion and Madril. Gondor has no compalints in the Hero department. You also have access to countless elites and special forces.

You always seem to think that your faction is underpowered. In this thread it's Gondor, in the "Harad is overpowered" thread, it was you Uruks (or at least the dwarves where OP) and in the castle building thread it was Rohan.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:29 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Because they are overpriced. And Minas Tirith does NOT have access to Angbor and the rest of the Fiefdoms list, which is where Gondor's strength lies. The countless elites aren't a part of the list that is being discussed here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:02 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Draugluin wrote:
Because they are overpriced. And Minas Tirith does NOT have access to Angbor and the rest of the Fiefdoms list, which is where Gondor's strength lies. The countless elites aren't a part of the list that is being discussed here.

My bad about F and A, but MT still has CG, GotFC and Osgiliath veterans (who are underpriced), they also have rangers.

Who is overpriced?

WoMT are not, add two defence for two points (from basic profile) adn you have a WoMT.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

1st: I don't think "my faction is underpowered."
What I find disheartening is that WoMT, in the books, are the last bastion of hope and defense for mankind and are not reflected as such in the SBG game.

I am not fielding a warhost of nothing but hero's nor am I fielding a majority of hero's and filling in the points with cannon-fodder nor am I one to field a named hero(s) and fill in the points with elites.
I am not a big fan of the new play-style that GW put out. I like the LoME era where a hero or two lead a contingent of warriors.
I also like to field regular troopers, I find that in most cases they would be the ones in the forefront. Heck it would be nice to have a hero, if taken, to have the option to increase the rank-and-file stat line....like the elves have or even to have option to increase F/C like the Easterlings. Even the Rohirrim have 2 obscure heros, via the book/movie, that can increase the stat line of line troops.

I'm not bemoaning that Gondor is underpowered. I know that and as mentioned if one wanted to field a force with a combo of troops, that are hardly seen outside of the walls of the Minas Tirith, that isn't going to be rolled over easily - they could.

I am...was...looking for something that makes the WoMT more like the books and less like the novices in the movies....like Whafrog House Rules for them, even the +1 to the Break Test by Draugluin isn't a bad idea (keeps the stat-line, but makes them...experienced).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@ScarpeIron. Sorry that Draughlin and I where hijacking your thread. Those comments weren't directed at you.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

no worries.

I like the Osgiliath Veterans and their options, it just disappointing you have to take a powerhouse to use it. I don't see why they couldn't use it with other hero's that were there or even to Captains. The vets may be undercost, but I can only see them really being undercosted if one takes a pimped out Boromir with the Banner of MT...

Anywho I think I'm going to try both options out and see which is a better fit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:06 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The Osgiliath veterans have one more courage and their special rule for a single point, and everyone makes sure to have them close to boromir or faramir. Faramir is a decent mid-level hero which is commonly featured in 500 point Gondor armies. He is even better now that you can give him a shield.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Knights of Dol Amroth are the same cost as Osgiliath Veterans (if they choose extra wargear that is, but who wouldn't?) yet they don't even need to be near a hero to get their F4, and otherwise have the same stats, and they have another special rule giving them a banner with Imrahil. Osgiliath Veterans are not underpriced. Knights of Dol Amroth maybe, and Abrakhan Guards, but not Osgiliath Veterans. My examples come from armies I play, you can probably make similar comparisons to other armies.

I personally like my WoMT being basic. I find they are great against goblins. I think that their profiles are alright, it's some other profiles that need to be brought down a notch, making F3 the standard again instead of F4.

Thanks!

Maermaethor.