All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:34 am

Post subject: tactics against either gondor,easterlings or dwarves
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hello,does anyone have any tactics against either gondor,easterlings or dwarves? they are the 3 i usually play. I play moria with the 9 and the named nazgul thanks in advance :lurtz:
 Post subject: Re: tactics against either gondor,easterlings or dwarves
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

kinda the same tactics against gondor and easterlings: lure your enemy in an open spot were they can be surrounded. And make sure your gobo's don't get split up into 'bite size peaces'.
If your fighting against pure dwarfs you kan just go straight into the ficht with you having spear support an all. If he has a banner, take it out with arrows, an keep those pesky dwarf heroes busy with your nazgul.
I also suggest taking a shade; totally worth it!

hope this helps a bit 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Not got any tactics for fighting Gondorians/Easterlings, but, as a Dwarf player myself, I do have tactics for fighting the Dwarves

I would suggest using your archers to bulk out your army - fire one or two turns and charge forwards the rest of the time. A standard Goblin has a 1/36 of wounding a D7 dwarf (this halves against D6, so aim for archers), whilst a Dwarf Bow has a 1/6 chance of killing a Goblin. You need as many of your Goblins to make it into the fight as early as possible, and firing your bows will just mean it takes longer for you to reach them.
If you have any Wild Wargs (or allied cavalry) try and send 8 or 9 (maybe 5 or 6 for allied cavalry) towards enemy archers to stop them from shooting your main army down (don't try this with Spiders).
If you can, take a Bat Swarm or two to target his banner(s) with, or use wraiths to compel them away from his lines. A trapped Dwarf is far easier to kill then one which isn't, so after the first round of combat pull some of the spears on your flank round to trap the Dwarves, and shield in one on one fights to try and put them in your favour. When your Nazgul aren't compelling the banner(s), use them to transfix any enemy heroes (priority: Durin, Dain, Gimli, Balin, Murin, Shieldbearers, Drar, Captains).

I hope this helps

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I hope my brother doesn't read this CGoM! Good advice!

I second that! Don't forget about the goblin's movement. I find a volley archer group of gobs is good for parking on an objective. Psychologically they often pull away a chunk of an army and armies in chunks are fun for fellbeasts. Plus they should target low defense targets.

Kill banners! Dwarves need their banners having no shields.

Don't focus too much on raw killing, the mission objectives can sometimes be won just by outnumbering at locations (which goblins are good at).

Feed heroes single goblins to stop them being useful, otherwise swarm them.

I've not used nazgul so can't give any advice for them.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The most effective tactic against Gondor and Easterlings is simply Strength 4.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:57 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would suggest as having as many spears as shields, a drum, a shaman and a few Blackshields. The blackshields are excellent dwarf killers, even though their 4S isn't any better against 7D. They can be an amazing psychological factor if used correctly. Ensure that you always have more dice to roll than the dwarves, and keep as many goblins in reach of the drum as possible. I would never waste Will (from a shaman) on Transfix, instead save it to make sure that you can re-cast Fury if need be.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
The most effective tactic against Gondor and Easterlings is simply Strength 4.

This. As for dwarves, due to the new rules, just force them to play on your terms as they will have very little fire-power typically due to the ammount they have to spend on herooes and just force them into a vulnerable position where you can outnumber them and surround them.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:42 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dwarves have INCREDIBLY cheap heros. Balin, Gimli, King's Champion and Dain are very cheap for how powerful they are. Even Durin is cheap considering that he has a Horn.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You have ALL 9 named nazgul and need help beating those armies.

You have a Banner (through DM)
Shooting won't affect you (through SL)
Dwimmerlaik will shut opposing heroes down very quickly.
The Undying is a magic powerhouse with that many wraiths around.
Khamul and the KoU can keep on fighting.
The betrayer is a decent enough combat hero, though you can't get the most out of him without a fellbeast.
The Witchking is for magic casting and the tainted is pretty poor.

You should be looking to get rid of all his heroes quickly through blackdarting them. A decent roll from the Dwimmerlaik makes 3/3/3 heroes pretty poor.

Once the force is broken, pull back and let them run away. You shouldn't have to worry about wether you're broken or not because you have so many standfasts.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:15 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The newbie wrote:
the tainted is pretty poor.

Once the force is broken, pull back and let them run away. You shouldn't have to worry about wether you're broken or not because you have so many standfasts.

Those two statements are incongruous. The Tainted works well in this situation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

He may work well....but he's still the worst named nazgul. He's also going to prevent your own troops benefiting from a standfast/heroic.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:20 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You are supposed to make a list around that. In LoME, you had the Mahud, as they don't use standfasts, I am sure there will still be away around the problem. And why wouldn't you pick him just because he is worst of the Ringwraiths? Do you not like the challenge?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
And why wouldn't you pick [the Tainted] just because he is worst of the Ringwraiths?

Do you really need that question answered? This is a thread about tactics.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

General Elessar wrote:
GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
And why wouldn't you pick [the Tainted] just because he is worst of the Ringwraiths?

Do you really need that question answered? This is a thread about tactics.

So, a skilled tactician who enjoyed the challange, rather than simply avoiding the Tainted and like models, would instead find ways to work with them when playing against less skilled opponents, would they not? Or do all the skilled players in your area enjoy mindless slaughtering the enemy to the point where it isn't fun anymore?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:33 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

But if his rules don't really help with you strategy/opponent, like if you were facing elves without any cavalry, the Tainted is basically useless.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

What points are you playing at, perhaps swapping some wraiths for the generic versions will save you points.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Draugluin wrote:
But if his rules don't really help with you strategy/opponent, like if you were facing elves without any cavalry, the Tainted is basically useless.

Yes the Tainted is useless in many situations, and shouldn't be used against Elves for example. However, in situations in which you're fighting the majority of armies, learning how to use the Tainted well could come in handy, as most people have never played against him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would agree with you if he had standard M/W/F. Those are really the main reasons why I find him useless. Even just giving him 2 more Will would make him better.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I dunno, i think tainted could be worth it just given his area of effect rules. If you charge him into 2 men your as likely to kill one with his special rule as you are to cast black dart. I know blackdart is horsepoo but still, he has a pycological advantage over other wraiths when it comes to being crowded.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Let's have a little session on the Tainted, remember that building your list is one of the major parts of the game.

So what does the tainted have to offer?

1/12/1 and two special rules.

Firstly 1/12/1 is the same as taking a Baby wraith who would cost 90pts. Both will perform the same role here, tranfixing heroes, black darting banners etc. This means we're paying 30pts for two special rules.

Miasmatic Presence. - stopping heroic moves and standfasts for all warriors within a certain distance. How can this be put to use?

- If your opponent is calling heroic moves then you'll probably be rendering them ineffective, so long as you can get a big enough coverage. However, you're also preventing your own heroics (probably more so due to the placement of the wraith).
- You'll be stopping standfasts. However, many good forces play elves or bodyguard which neuters this slightly. This can also be achieved by transfixing the hero, thus stopping the standfast (and at this point in the game heroes should have no will left). Once again, this special rule effects your own troops and with evil traditionally having lower courage troops they are more likely to flee, making the C6 standfast of the Wraith virtually useless.

Seeping Decay - wounding models in base contacting with the tainted.

- Assuming your tainted is on foot or horse, this is a rather weak special rule. The Ringwraith should not be in combat unless you're tooled for the job. But more on that later.

Survivability

This is the issue with the Tainted. He has 1 fate point and 1 might point. He will die 1/3 times to the first wound he takes. Compare that to ANY other named wraith (with minimum two fate) and the odds of dying to a single wound are 1/4 without might, with two might they survive 35/36 times (with double 1 being the exception).

Combat?

With only a single point of might you can't risk the Tainted on a fellbeast. If you're paying 170pts for a single model with low survivability and only one chance of a heroic move/combat (with no fluffed rolls), well he's just not fellbeast material. Which limits him to horse or foot, both of which waste the seeping decay special rule.

Finally a comparison to the others:

The Shadowlord - he gets a game changing 10pt special rule, more m/w/f.
The Dark Marshal - he gets F6, Banner, more m/f.
The Knight of Umbar - combat mimickery, more m/w/f.
The Undying - more m/w/f and great rules when combined with other spell casters.
The Betrayer - excellent combat wraith, more m/w/f.
Khamul the Easterling - THE combat wraith, flexible, though weak magic, he should be around for a while.
The Witch King - Versatile, you can make him into what you need
Baby wraiths - Cheap and perform the same (if not better) role as the tainted for cheaper.
The Dwimmerlaik - Now I've saved him till last. He has less might and more fate, however his special rule has the potential to shut down heroes massively.

All the wraiths can safely be put on fellbeast, except for perhaps the Dwimmerlaik who would be better suited to an armored horse.

Now, I'm all for challenging myself when playing against weaker opponents. However, the Tainted just doesn't work. I've played against him and he was more of a hinderance to my opponent than a help.

(Sorry for the thread necromancy)