All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:35 am

Post subject: Themed Ent ally?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi
I've just bought my first Ent, mainly because Ents are awesome. But I'd also like to play with it and perhaps get more Ents. The question is, who would fight side by side with Ents? I'm talking about theme. Elves are my best guess, but I'm not sure.
Note: I am aware that I need a Hero to lead the Ent(s).
 Post subject: Re: Themed Ent ally?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

elves, rohan, eagles thats about it. gondors too far away and dwarves dont like trees

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I used Treebeard with my Rohan army for the 1st time last week. He wrecks face and the new deployment rules mean he gets into the thick of the action pretty quick. In game 1 he punched straight through a Mordor battle-line, shrugging off the Witch King's magic before flattening him. I lost by a single model, but Treebeard was.......well, he was a total monster. Game 2 exposed the problem with taking such an expensive model..... with a much lower model count I was broken far too quickly. I should have kited around for a few more turns, shooting and throwing spears while Treebeard caused mayhem and evened up the odds. As it was I attacked too soon and got schooled......lesson learned. Treebeard didn't even use any of his fate in either game, let alone take a wound so I could have held back with the rest of my guys for much longer than I did.

So, for what it's worth..... let the Ent smash the snot out of as much stuff as he can reach and duck and weave with everything else until the Ent has done his Enty thing. I wouldn't take a hero and a normal Ent though. Treebeard has Might and Will so he's hard to transfix and can call heroic fights, that keeps him moving and smashing stuff. I'll definitely be using him again. If you have the plastic Ent I'd still use Treebeard's rules....just call him Beechbone or Quickbeam, there's no rules for them in SBG, so a bit of proxying for a named Ent is OK.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/

Last edited by Damian on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nobody, even the elves feared Fangorn Forest.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:30 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

hithero wrote:
Nobody, even the elves feared Fangorn Forest.

This. The ents never allied with anyone except Merry and Pippin, but elves and maybe Rohan would be the most likely. You would have to explain it along the lines of "they're fighting near Fangorn Forest and suddenly a giant shadow comes and helps them before going back into the woods."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you all for taking time to reply. Yeah, Ents with other guys will be a 'what if' battle depending on the other forces, I was searching for what seemed most likely.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Radagast and eagles are what GW thinks should be working alongside ents but the best ally in terms of gameplay is probably dwarves; they can take alot of hits meaning it will take longer for you to be broken while the ent does ent stuff. My advice would just be go all ents though, and maybe a wizard or merry and pip. If your allying them, make sure the allied force has cheap heroes (merry, pippin, eowyn, beregond etc) to lead troops, otherwise your spending too much on heroes.