All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:35 am

Post subject: Durin?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:15 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Anyone got any experience with him, on paper he looks like a tank: terror, D9, 6+ save if wounded and durins axe with 3 attacks, put him in range of a banner and suddenly he has 5 attacks to win the fight.... Im thinking of making a dwarves+arnor force (the arnor force led by Malbeth, meaning Durin becomes an even bigger tank and the dwarvies get spears :D). Has Mardin's spear been corrected in the new rules, can it's rule apply while supporting a friend or not? Got any tips guys because right now i don;t see how this force could be beaten :/
 Post subject: Re: Durin?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

He is quite the tank indeed. I have never put a banner near him, because I thought that would be a bit too much. As far as I know Mardin's rules weren't changed but I don't know about what rule you are talking, him against trolls and such?
It took my opponent with Harad three rounds while surrounding me to score his first wound on Durin, in the meantime I had killed four of his men. The way I was beaten was by a massive volley and cavalry army. He charged my dwarf warriors one by one trapping them, knocking them to the ground, lances and stuff so in the end I was broken. Durin was my last man standing for 4 rounds.
Overall you could say he is awesome.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Durin is more than just a tank, he's a beast. He was good before the rules changed, but now that he also has a horn, basically giving him C7, he is amazing. Very hard to beat, especially if he has a decent bodyguard to keep him from being surrounded. The only time I've ever beaten him (I play against dwarves alot) is when he fled after rolling snakes eyes for his broken test.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A loopy, terrifying, kill-all, tough-nut, tank!?!?
He sounds awsome!!!
I think I might need to buy him just to add to my own personal tough-nut kill squad :-D

:gimli:

Last edited by SidTheSloth on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

He sound like a really great if not very thematic ally as well (you could say it was when Khazad-dum was doing well I suppose). I could see him and a big warband of dwarves being a great anvil in a otherwise completely mounted Rohan army but I get the feeling he would have been better for this prior to the warband system as you would want more than 13 dwarves but you don't want to have to spend points on another hero. Also he would be good with some khazad-guard being a 'steamroller' unit is basically any army (I have a few dwarves that I ally with my elves and i might start using him to do this)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:19 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Actually, I think he's better with warbands as an ally (not only because he actually is better). You don't need too many dwarves to form a battle line. Thematically, he is actually the most likely to serve as an ally, you would just need to say "This Theoden model is actually representing a king of Rohan from hundreds of years ago."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow, normally whenever anyone posts a topic about a specific model, the reply is "NO HE'S TERRIBLE GEEZ" this is a first. Now we can wait for a tournament keeno to come along and school us :(

I reckon i'll pick him up though, by the sounds of it he is far more effective than the rest of the super heroes, yet probably the cheapest....
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:06 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I know I usually take Glorfindel or Elrond Master of Rivendell (his improved Nature Wrath spell is epic) as a Super Hero but I don't think they are really worth their points in most games, it really depends what Elrond roles at the start of the game a 6 and there are some close roles or draws and he pays for himself a 1 and you have some really bad rolls he is basically useless. So I might take Durin and some Dwarves instead of one of them and some heavy armoured high elves I think it will cost about the same

N.B Durin is quite expensive like the same as Glorfindel or 'normal' Elrond I think
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah but elrond and glorfindel don't have the same level of built in defenses as Durin nor do their special rules match up to his.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Don't get me wrong I know Elrond, Glorfindel ect aren't as good but that doesn't mean Durin isn't still expensive points wise. In short he is the best of the super heroes but you still have to pay a super hero price for him. I find however that these heroes are best combined with a cheap but effective hero like Gildor who offsets there points costs.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah yeah, problem about Durin is he is from 2nd/first age (not sure) so his allies are limited :/
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

yeah he is very much 2nd and not 1st only Glorfindel lived in the first age and is only here because he was resurrected by the Tolkien equivalent of God (like Gandalf). He can however ally with all the Elves thanks to there long lives (look at Gildor he is great for his cost and not unthemactic(not sure that is actually a word)), he could ally with either Gondor and Rohan (not sure with Rohan) if you only use Kings of Men, all the Istari (and the white council) and obviously other dwarfs so you have some scope for allies

Edit. Numenor and there heroes also work
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've got an eorl the young on foot i can use as a king of men as an ally. Kings of men are better than theoden anyway imo :/ Also i'm pretty sure that our F7 Glorfindel from the third age is actually named after the Glorfindel from the first age, not the resurrected version of him.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

No I am right (I know that sounds really arrogant it wasn't meant to) Tolkien never gave two elves the same name, but it has been suggested he made a mistake and the resurrection stuff was just to cover up his mistake.

Did the Valar decide Glorfindel who died killing a Balrog in the 1st age need to come back in the 3rd age which there is some evidence for like descriptions of his power Elrond says at some point that not even Glorfindels power would be enough to the armies of Mordor back alone so he shouldn't join the fellowship, the fact that he was needed to keep the Ringwraith from capturing Frodo after he had been stabbed and to keep the Witchking from taking over Arnor as he appears to Evil spirits and the like as an immense burning light and also the only two people to be brought back are him and Gandalf both the died whilst simultaneously killing a Balrog with I think 'sister' swords (Orcist and Glamring were forged together and I know one of the First age heroes killed a Balrog with Orcist which I think was Glorfindel and obviously Gandalf has Glamring).

Or Tolkien may have just written some of that stuff in when he realised he had made a mistake, you decide
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Don't worry it doesn't sound arrogant, you backed it up with evidence! But yeah, Tolkein must 'ave made a mistake; Glorf should be lord of Rivendell if he has slain Balrogs, not Elrond!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ElfGeneral wrote:
Orcist and Glamring were forged together

You mean Orcrist, (owned by Thorin). Orcist seems to mean someone who is 'racist' against Orcs.

I agree wityh you that it may well have been a mistake. And maybe Tolkien like Elrond more than Glorfy, he did invent them after all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:10 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Don't worry it doesn't sound arrogant, you backed it up with evidence! But yeah, Tolkein must 'ave made a mistake; Glorf should be lord of Rivendell if he has slain Balrogs, not Elrond!

Why? Do we always defer leadership to martial thugs?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:54 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm sure they both would have been great leaders but I think Elrond is better as lord of Rivendell
Rivendell was more like a place of great peace, wisdom, learning and power rather than a warring state
it probaly would have made sense that in elvendom the eldest and wisest would be the leader

Also in The hobbit Rivendell was Elronds house wasnt it ??

8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I wasn't suggesting all leaders should be thugs, not to get too historical but generally the best or the worst leaders are the 'martial thugs'. On one hand you have Edward IV, who's pretty much the best king England ever had and won every battle he was in, in all of which he was outnumbered 2 to 1, but on the other hand you have Henry VIII, who wanted nothing better than to go to war but never succeeded in doing so, and we all know he was a terror. Then again i guess the whole point of the elves is that they present a wiser, more sentient version of humans to whom victories in combat are not awarded with lands and power.

@Sid Good point, it is his house!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:20 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

As the son of Earendil, Elrond could easily match Glorfindel, especially after he got Vilya. Besides, Rivendell was founded by Elrond in the 2nd age, when Glorfindel was still technically dead.

Back on the subject, Durin is one of the most expensive heros, but he is one of the best at combat. HE JUST WON'T EVER DIE.