All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:14 am

Post subject: Rule to limit model count in big games.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi guys!

Martinus and I battle regularly and like to use 1000+ point SBG armies. To make sure the armies dont become a bulk of warriors I was thinking about setting a minimum amount of hero points.

Has anybody got a good rule like model limit or minimum hero points thats fair to all armies?

Post subject: Re: Rule to limit model count in big games.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Back in the days, the model limit for 1000 points battles was 75 models. For battles large, I think the limit was 100 models.
75 models would be a good limit for 1000 points I think, since that way you won't need to move too many single minis, not have to make Courage tests for too many..
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Fëanor, the mighty elf wrote:
Back in the days, the model limit for 1000 points battles was 75 models..

Yeah but a model limit doesnt matter much for elves while it does to Goblins, so I wonder if theres a better way to limit the numbers like a minimum points spent on heroes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Given that you can pack 130 goblins into 1000 points, and still spend 400 points on heroes (40%), I'm not sure making a hero point limit is going to achieve much. Spending 50% on heroes just reduces that count to around 110: 20 goblins = 100 points, so 130 - 20 + new heroes.

Also, if you force the point expenditure on heroes, you can't take, say, lots of spiders, or a few trolls, or any other non-hero monster. Not fair to Evil.

And if you force, say, Gondor to spend more on heroes, you can't make use of the Damrods and Beregonds...they aren't worth enough. Or you might have a harder time fielding Sentinels for Wood Elves. You're forcing Good to be even more hero heavy with fewer elite troops.

I think a model limit is simpler, and the old ranges seem reasonable, though maybe something like this would make goblins happy too:
500 - 50
750 - 65
1000 - 85
1500 - 125

Ranges are little weirder than LoME's...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

One way to encourage smaller armies is fiddling with the victory conditions. "You win if you get more models to your opponent's board edge than he gets to yours" encourages big armies, but "You win if you kill more models than your opponent does" encourages small elite armies.

100 Goblins vs. the Fellowship has the Goblins win by a mile in the first scenario and lose almost automatically in the second. If you're playing a random scenario you want to try to balance your force so it can compete in either.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:40 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You could be cunning and allow for sides to have different point allowances, say 750pts versus 1000pts, but the team with the higher points value needs to beat by a margin of over 250pts worth of the other team destroyed/driven away. You could have objectives or fortifications that are worth points, e.g., a watchtower. Provided ground rules are agreed (and written down) in advance, there is limitless scope for variations on the basic theme of both the SBG and WotR.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!